Poker Chip Shipping Tips and Tricks (7 Viewers)

What is the best way to ship one barrel of chips to France?
I'm not a fan of the cascading chips in an envelope method. I prefer to send a parcel but it takes some trial and error to get it right. You'd need to use your own packaging and keep the weight to 8oz (225gm) if possible.

Firstly find the lightest cardboard box that'll do the job.
Very tightly cling wrap the barrel and then wrap it in the largest bubble wrap I can find. Plenty of bubble wrap is excellent protection and very lightweight.
If your chips are heavy you probably won't be able to stay under 8oz.

First-Class Package International Service

1-8oz = $14.50

9-32oz = $24.50

I'm not a fan of the cascading chips in an envelope method. I prefer to send a parcel but it takes some trial and error to get it right. You'd need to use your own packaging and keep the weight to 8oz (225gm) if possible.

Firstly find the lightest cardboard box that'll do the job.
Very tightly cling wrap the barrel and then wrap it in the largest bubble wrap I can find. Plenty of bubble wrap is excellent protection and very lightweight.
If your chips are heavy you probably won't be able to stay under 8oz.

First-Class Package International Service

1-8oz = $14.50

9-32oz = $24.50
Is this using a USPS provided box our your own packaging?

Re: plastic wrap: every package I've received with plastic wrapped stacks or laid flat one atop the other had way too much wiggle room for my liking; some arrived undamaged and others not as lucky. Even wrapping multiple times, plastic wrap just isn't strong enough to have the stack keep straight while being tossed around in shipping. I never noticed any residue though.

Since the seal broke on my vacuum sealer a long time ago I've used a double layer of whatever type of blank paper I can find, roll it up and tape along the sides, tuck the ends in and tape. The idea is to have all the chips be a single strong shape at the end (rock vs sticks). Wrap THAT up in bubble wrap or old bubble mailers
Then I pile up and overlap the stacks into as strong a shape I can make in packing tape.
Fill the box up with whatever packing material I have left or something light (newspaper balls/table foam) so it can't move in any direction. and has some additional padding on all sides.

I do wonder what happens to the lump of wrapped stacks passing through customs though.

Last edited:
The cling wrap is super tight. Chips are definitely not going to move. The bubble wrap is very light and very protective. They could be dropped on concrete and take no harm. My buyers always remark about how safe the packaging is.

IMG_20181130_173126.jpg

IMG_20181130_173358.jpg

IMG_20181130_173627.jpg

IMG_20181130_173648.jpg

@paul sydney
is that regular cling wrap for food? how many layers is that on the stack of chips? do you go over the top or around the edges first?
No, it's a bit thicker than the food wrap and less clingy too so unwrapping/rewrapping is quite easy.
IMG_20200310_195903.jpg

I lay the sheet over a rack and place the barrel in the rack.
IMG_20200310_200008.jpg

IMG_20200310_200103.jpg

Then proceed to wrap it, end over end about 10 times. The barrel in this pic has been wrapped only 4 times. The first wrap isn't very tight but the next few get progressively tighter. At this point you can still make some adjustments to properly align the chips but a few more wraps and it becomes difficult to move.
IMG_20200310_200241.jpg

When I ship a small amount of chips I usually put them in a 5x7 padded envelope that would cost me roughly $4 at the post office to ship. Trying to do the click and ship through USPS's website and it is coming out to more than the sfrb rate.

The below seems to be my only options, any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

1586796212991.png

When I ship a small amount of chips I usually put them in a 5x7 padded envelope that would cost me roughly $4 at the post office to ship. Trying to do the click and ship through USPS's website and it is coming out to more than the sfrb rate.

The below seems to be my only options, any ideas on what I am doing wrong?

View attachment 439465
have to send via First Class Mail not packages. I don't know how/if you can do that on USPS so I do it through PayPal. Make sure you're signed in before clicking this link then choose first class mail. https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/#

I was thinking of doing some selling and shipping and once again I find a thread that meets my needs! Thanks everyone!

The vacuum pack was great.
Are American shippers on here flexible about shipping to Canada?

Is there an agreed upon optimal method for shipping matsui racks in a mfrb / lfrb? How many can fit, is there a need for extra packing or reinforcing, and should every rack be wrapped individually?

Is there an agreed upon optimal method for shipping matsui racks in a mfrb / lfrb? How many can fit, is there a need for extra packing or reinforcing, and should every rack be wrapped individually?
@nezara just shipped a ton of them in a group buy. I can’t find the photos, but they were packaged exceptionally well. I think most of mine are still in the box. I’ll try to snap a photo.

One more small ping on this. Matsui rack shipping. Looking for some advice to avoid shipping broken racks:

1. My test is that 5 fit in a MFRB. Is this the best? No LFRB on hand yet, but guessing 10 are comfortable?
2. Need to wrap each rack in plastic? Wrap 2-4 together in a brick?
3. What kind of padding is typical to include, and approximately how much?

One more small ping on this. Matsui rack shipping. Looking for some advice to avoid shipping broken racks:

1. My test is that 5 fit in a MFRB. Is this the best? No LFRB on hand yet, but guessing 10 are comfortable?
2. Need to wrap each rack in plastic? Wrap 2-4 together in a brick?
3. What kind of padding is typical to include, and approximately how much?
Racks that I have received (not Matsui) have been shipped empty with minimal padding and been fine. I have had 1 rack that cracked because it was shipped with chips in it.

Force = Mass x Acceleration. Racks have very little mass and are less likely to have the force to break them. That doesn't stop the P.O. from trying, so including whatever you can in the box without increasing shipping costs (newspaper works well) should be sufficient.

Screen Shot 2020-05-12 at Tuesday, May 12, 2020 - 2.33.30 PM.png

Anyone getting this error message right now when trying to create prepaid postage on PayPal? I have this happen from time to time and usually within a few tries it works or sometimes I change browsers and it works... not 100% sure what causes it but this time I can't get any postage to go through regardless of time or browser.

I just use Ziplock (tm) bags. Seal them most of the way and sink them in the pot. The water pressure pushes the air out of the bag. Then finish sealing it.

Works great, without requiring one more kitchen gadget.

Looks like USPS is making some thicker boxes.

Small stack of LFRB on top. New 25 pack on the bottom. And they are a very bright white too.

2020-05-18_22-55-00.png

I'd still double them though.

With all that is going on across the country currently, anyone concerned about shipping valuable chips? I'm sure the risk is minimal, but debating if I should hold off for awhile or not.

I wouldn't think Corona would increase risk with any shipments within US borders. In fact, if your recipient is "work from home" or on furlough, now might be a better time, because porch-pirate risks are minimized.

I was shipped nsome chips (not from a member) 2 months ago. US to UK. the package still hasn't arrived and no tracking update since mid-April. Should I assume it's lost and claim on insurance or is there still hope?

Just an add FWIW

In a former life, I was a SCUBA instructor, living on Hawaii's Big Island. The dive shops I worked at used to get their dive weights shipped in by USPS Flat Rate Box.

The vendors shipping the weights would double box them as shown above, and then stuff them full of lead and soft dive weights. Chips will do just fine with proper inner packaging.

I'm sure the USPS guys hated us. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom