Poker Chip Shipping Tips and Tricks (3 Viewers)

The USPS effed me again the other day. Three chips wrapped in cereal box cardboard in a regular business envelope should ship for a stamp or two. Usually does. But the lady the other day wouldn't do it - forced me to pay the $3.whatever that a padded mailer would cost. I'm not even gonna try shipping that way any more. Everything goes in a padded mailer for $3-$4. Makes selling a single chip pretty hard.

I just use Ziplock (tm) bags. Seal them most of the way and sink them in the pot. The water pressure pushes the air out of the bag. Then finish sealing it.

Works great, without requiring one more kitchen gadget.
My vacuum sealer is the best kitchen purchase I ever made. I do huge batches of smoked meats, chili and charcuterie. A giant lasagna...no problem. Large cuts of meat? Portion it out and freeze with zero freezer burn. Vacuum sealed they last a year in the freezer. Shipping poker chips is just the gravy.

The USPS effed me again the other day. Three chips wrapped in cereal box cardboard in a regular business envelope should ship for a stamp or two. Usually does. But the lady the other day wouldn't do it - forced me to pay the $3.whatever that a padded mailer would cost. I'm not even gonna try shipping that way any more. Everything goes in a padded mailer for $3-$4. Makes selling a single chip pretty hard.
If found now anything over two coming up "sender postage due" and just makes the receiver pay for it. @Zmasterben got me....

The few times I have shipped singles, the Butterfly Stamp works well.

Butterfly Stamp.png

And this is why the entire external surface of the box should be taped, and the contents should be packaged as a single brick (no loose items).
That’s a good point. There was a barrel of primary pca 500s wrapped in a napkin wrapped in tape floating in there with a dealer button, cards and other items...

Hi, does anyone have the link(or feel free to explain) for the cheapest but best way to ship a barrel?
Thanks

Hi, does anyone have the link(or feel free to explain) for the cheapest but best way to ship a barrel?
Thanks
I like to roll it in a sandwich bag or saran wrap, then take that and roll into a padded USP mailer. Tape the shit out of it, and send. Proven results. No broken chips.

Another way is to buy plastic sheets for coins and slide into a padded mailer. They fit perfectly. I use both methods randomly. Again, no broken chips. Many chips shipped.

Anyone here try shipping with UPS Ground? It seems like the default here is USPS.
I like their flat rate boxes for simplicity in quoting. Switched over to USPS a bit ago because it's cheaper and (maybe this is just biased) faster

Thanks
Take the barrel and get a sandwich bag and spread the chips out across the surface of the bottom of the sandwich bag so they're snugly packed together and overlap each other. Fold the opening of the bag over itself, and tape it together. Take a piece of bubble wrap and wrap the sealed and taped bag and seal the ends to make a brick. Repeat with another piece of bubble wrap and stick it in a padded mailer or a SFRB if you're so inclined.

Take the barrel and get a sandwich bag and spread the chips out across the surface of the bottom of the sandwich bag so they're snugly packed together and overlap each other. Fold the opening of the bag over itself, and tape it together. Take a piece of bubble wrap and wrap the sealed and taped bag and seal the ends to make a brick. Repeat with another piece of bubble wrap and stick it in a padded mailer or a SFRB if you're so inclined.
Yes. What does this cost? Do you just send regular mail and not priority?

How many chips can fit in a well packed
SFRB?
MFRB?
Are we talking 500-600
LFRB?
I have personally received 600 chips in a single MFRB..

But to be safe, and depending on size, and shapes of shipments, it changes.

To be safe and have it all padded etc, more like 400-500. It makes a difference if there are DBs and 43mm chips etc.

EDIT : it's worth pointing out, you'll definitely never top out on weight limits. It's like 20lbs or something. You won't be able to fit 20 lbs of chips in an MFRB.

Last edited:
EDIT : it's worth pointing out, you'll definitely never top out on weight limits. It's like 20lbs or something. You won't be able to fit 20 lbs of chips in an MFRB.

Actually, yes you can. I would not recommend it, but I have received well north of 1000 chips and 22 lbs in a MFRB before. But to be safe and well padded, keep it to around 600.

I agree with the bubble envelope and vacuum seal....also just give them a tight wrap in Saran Wrap as well....

Not going to name names, as that’s not the point here... I only hope this post will alert and inform future sellers to some basics of shipping barrels.

Twice recently I’ve received 1-2 barrels in a Warnecke (or similar) five-bay box *with no padding* in the empty bays.

No matter how much padding is put *outside* the Warnecke box, every time the package is tipped, the chips inside are going to move around that empty space. The cardboard dividers without chips are going to collapse if there is nothing between them:

6B1E7FC1-EADC-405B-9321-3C3E378A1DCF.jpeg

You can fill the empty spaces in the box with foam peanuts, or cut foam, or rolled/folded bubble wrap... or in a pinch, crumpled paper is better than nothing.

Another option is to murder the box so it only holds the number of barrels being shipped. This is pretty quick and easy to do with scissors and tape. Then wrap and protect the reduced-size box within the package per usual practices.

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom