PCF Wine appreciation thread. (5 Viewers)

Best of the bunch

Attachments

• 3E3B8A18-7DB2-4C02-86FB-0AB8DA875B65.jpeg
    3E3B8A18-7DB2-4C02-86FB-0AB8DA875B65.jpeg
    89.4 KB · Views: 92
Remember,I'm NEW still -- I have been trying to learn about wine for about 2 weeks or so now, lol. I feel I am doing very well so far!

Scooped up 4 more bottles, lmk if any of you have any experience with them! How'd I do??!

#2 2018 Château Thivin Côte de Brouilly Cru Beaujolais - $29.99
2016 E. Guigal Côtes du Rhône - $12.99
2006 Château de Montfaucon "Baron Louis" Côtes-du-Rhône - $34.99

Also, just watched all 3 SOMM movies and I am GEEKING HARD. Also watched Sour Grapes.....wtf?!

I have had or believe I will enjoy the following (@allforcharity)
-Australian Shiraz - got the Molly Dooker Boxer
-Argentine Malbec - YES!!
-Local/California/Burgundy Pinot - I have a ways to go here to learn how to appreciate them...
-Italy- Sangiovese - LOVE, not sure what else yet...
-France- Cotes du Rhone, Beaujolais, Bordeaux -- all on their way or currently stored, I hope I adore them!
-Spain- not sure yet.... @Chester Copperpot -- perhaps that Hidalgo Tradicion H rioja? Wish my Costco had it!!
-Chile- not sure yet...

How fun this is for me to dive in head first into a such a beautiful thing like wine, especially with all of you to guide me. MUCH LOVE!! Thank you for all your recommendations!

Last edited:
E. Guigal is a solid CdR for the price.
Try also M. Chapoutier Bila-Haut Cotes de Roussillon Villages

For Australian, try Jacobs Creek, d'Arenberg
Shiraz-Grenache blends are good (similar to what you find in Cotes du Rhone which tend to be Syrah-Grenache-Mourvedre blends)

This one is like, special, man. I would never steer you wrong

Oh, I believe you. But say I bought a bottle, tried it, and loved it -- what would that do to my bank account, and my house, which is already overflowing with wine?

Or even worse, if I didn't care for it, and my wife loved it? :nailbite:

I have way too much to lose here. Definitely -EV! :cool

I figured since I’ve previewed the recent rioja gran reserva from Costco, I should also share the St. Estephe. It’s the fair and right thing to do for the group, as y’all need to know in case it is available at your local store!

3E326B5B-4E0B-4CDB-87A3-182DCFD6F135.jpeg

Very smooth, very enjoyable. Great QPR at $23 (I think).

I bought three, so I’ll probably wait a year to drink the next, but this is good right now. 62% merlot, 32% cab sauv, 6% petit Verdot. Worth a pickup if you see it!

I figured since I’ve previewed the recent rioja gran reserva from Costco, I should also share the St. Estephe. It’s the fair and right thing to do for the group, as y’all need to know in case it is available at your local store!

View attachment 467748

Very smooth, very enjoyable. Great QPR at $23 (I think).

I bought three, so I’ll probably wait a year to drink the next, but this is good right now. 62% merlot, 32% cab sauv, 6% petit Verdot. Worth a pickup if you see it!
Good to know. Thanks! Kinda atypical for a left bank wine to have merlot instead of cab making up the majority of the blend....

Some bottles opened tonight:

OK, I 've mentioned this before but I can't help believing it's the best pure Xinomavro out there (Alpha Estate Vieilles Vignes Reserve). It cost 20E here in a liquor store, which would be 60E in a restaurant and Lord knows how much abroad.
Xinomavro Alpha.jpg

"Akres" doesn't mean "acres" :LOL: :laugh: but rather "edges" of that particular vineyard in Nemea, where the talented wine-maker Skouras produces this nice and very affordable blend of Aygiorgitiko and Cabernet Sauvignon (bought it here for 6E !).
Akres1.jpg
Akres2.jpg

As we got drunk, (and hence needed less and less of the top experience) a more than nice companion was the Oreino (Mountainous one) again from Nemea, the Peloponnese, but from somewhat higher-altitude vineyards. A blend of Aygiorgitiko, Cabernet Sauvignon and Syrah, without too much effort in it; apparently the doctrine here is "just let this magical soil do its part". Honest product at 6E per bottle.

Oreino2018.jpg

Pictured here with an aubergine and hot pepper salad, with truckloads of garlic too:
Oreino w salad.jpg

I 'm sure I 've posted the golden standard Nemea PDO (Protected Designation of Origin - or AOP, Apellation d' Origine Protegee, in French, always single-variety Aygiorgitiko) which is of course the Papaioannou Estate.

This one is (at least) one step up, coming from the oldest vines of Mr. Papaioannou's "biological" (organic) vineyards.
Drunk straight this Sunday evening, to make up for Sunday blues, and still to avoid hard liquor and getting really drunk, facing a weekday.
Normally, it should accompany grilled meat without any sauce or vegetables cooked in olive oil a-la-grecque (i.e. at least with garlic and onion also), or pasta (not with a too hot sauce, though).
13-ish Euros in the liquor store here.

Papa Old Vines.jpg
Papa Old Vines2.jpg

Looking good!

$8 for a 2016 estate-bottled Bordeaux ... that won a gold Concours de Bordeaux ... I want to try that one!

Let me know your thoughts on the Rioja!

We are having a 2006 Chateau de Montfaucon Cotes du Rhone today. I have a rib eye ready to grill. What should I do with it? Thoughts?

Here are my top 4 picks..

1. Steak Pomodoro (leaning toward this one)
1591466838504.png

2. Steak Poivre (French wine, French dish, no?)
1591466930625.png

3. Just grill the fugger n drink that wine!!

4. Ditch the steak (eat tomorrow) and go with hot Italian sausage - Penne Arrabbiata! (spicy dish, spicy wine)
1591467122540.png

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom