PCF Wine appreciation thread. (5 Viewers)

2 or 3 for the steak.

4 would make me abandon any steak:D
But I don't know if the wine is capable of taking care of the hotness of a barbarous arabiatissima with sausage. What variety is the wine?
With very hot meals, I 'd need a serious straight Cabernet or straight Xinomavro.

Going with Steak au Poivre! I need to go buy congac. I noticed that several sazerac recipes call for cognac, so I will also be picking up some peychaud bitters and some absinthe. I foresee a sazerac cocktail before we dine and wine!

Lexis (Word) is a noteworthy bottle from Nemea. Typical Nemea PDO, single Ay-giorgitiko variety.
Lexis1.jpg
Lexis2.jpg

Here, accompanying an archetypal Greek dish of assorted vegetables cooked in olive oil.
Supposedly "healthy" but you just can't help overdoing it with bread and cheese on the side. :D
Briam.jpg

ok -- the initial notes on the 2006 rhone were terrible. I wanted to pour it out.....unpleasant....past its peak...yadayadayada

However, it graduated nicely displaying distinctive flavors through the night. We had to compare it to a 2016 cotes du rhone out of curiosity. The older one was definitely more distinctive on the back end while the younger one was more friendly up front.

20200606_160557.jpg

20200606_163558.jpg

20200606_170520.jpg

Last nights bottles

20200614_091019.jpg

The Lange was a delicious pinot, 2015 was a great year for the Willamette Valley and it showed here

The Hidalgo Tradicion H Gran Reserva 2012 was also spectacular, spicy and delicious......I wish we could obtain the 2010 which was the best vintage rating in over 25 years for Spanish Rioja -- about $15 for this one

That last one there was a $12 Abruzzo 2017 -- nice QPR, went well with the ridiculous ribeyes we cooked

Last edited:
Was going to cook some salmon so I opened this during the day but ended up getting In N Out in the afternoon.
42B82748-E7A7-4BA7-A5B0-FCF9ECE255AB.jpeg

20200621_200218.jpg

Barrel finished. Glad I ordered some. I always get it when in the restaurant. Very smooth yet complex. Highly recommend if in the restaurant or if you can score a bottle.

This reminds me, have any of you seen the 2008 movie "Bottle Shock" starring Alan Rickman, Bill Pullman, Chris Pine? An interesting little true tale of how this winery's Chardonnay ended up besting all of France's best white wines in a blind tasting in Paris in 1976.

We are having Chicken Tikka Masala tonight. I have seen a few recommendations and from what I have on hand, these are my options:

1. BEER! (looks like the top choice)
2. Riesling
3. Cotes du Rhone
4. Beaujolais

Does anyone have a recommendation or any wine pairing experience with Tikka Masala?

edit: went with the beer, yummy!

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom