Pat's AK Photos (1 Viewer)

AK Chip

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
Instead of clogging up the view outside my window thread I figured I would just place them here from now on.

thumbnail_IMG_2716.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2720.jpg

Mount Susitna is often called The Sleeping Lady for its resemblance to a recumbent woman. The name is thought to have originated from a short story written by Nancy Lesh and published in the Alaska Northern Lights magazine in the early 1960s. In the story, a woman named Susitna belonging to a race of giants vows to sleep until her beloved comes back from battle[citation needed]. In "The Sleeping Lady", a children's picture book written by Ann Dixon in 1964, the giant woman fell asleep waiting for her beloved to return from battle, unaware that he had been killed. Dixon and her publisher were sued for their version of the story, but a judge ruled that the story had become a legend, and was therefore uncopyrightable.[2] The mountain's Dena'ina name is Dghelishla, meaning "Little Mountain"; in English it was simply named for the Susitna River which means Sandy River.[1] "Dinglishna" in Alaska is a similar word which means "Little Ridge that Extends". This is pointed out on page 113 of the second edition of Shem Pete's Alaska 2003. In "A Dena'ina Legacy," Peter Kalifornsky a Dena'ina Athabascan elder tells the story of the Mountain People who gathered at Susitna, and a giant lady who said she would lie down by the river she loved to become Susitna Mountain. Her relatives followed, Kalifornsky said, to become Mount Redoubt, Mount Iliamna and the Chigmit Mountain Range. Another wandered inland to become Denali. [2]

thumbnail_IMG_2737.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2739.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_2741.jpg

Spectacular, as always, Pat! :hearts:

Could I occasionally post some mountain / winter loving pics from my country here or should they go to a thread of their own?

Spectacular, as always, Pat! :hearts:

Could I occasionally post some mountain / winter loving pics from my country here or should they go to a thread of their own?
right here is perfect!

I’ve said before...I absolutely loved my one and only trip to Alaska. I welcome any and all photos you share, just so I can live vicariously through you!!

Anytime (and it 'd better be soon, before age and American Bourbon Whiskey cripple me) :LOL: :laugh:

Arcturos is a wildlife preservation organization, trying to re-introduce orphaned wolves, bears and deer into the wild, and keeping (and feeding) in very comfortable conditions those animals who cannot.
https://www.arcturos.gr/en/

Intrestingly, a very young orphaned bear cub, Patrick, who was meticulously prepared for the wild for a very long time, came back to the (fenced) refuge after just a few weeks. He chose a guaranteed meal over freedom.
But, "freedom 's just another word for nothing left to loose" Ask Janis Joplin:

A full stomach seems to be valued above freedom, and not just in animals (a Chinese Imperial saying told that as long as villagers were not hungry, the Emperor would keep his throne).

Denali from Anchorage!! 130 miles away.

Last edited:
I was backpacking in Denali National Park for a week and we only managed to see the mountain once, for about 15 minutes. Bloody clouds all week in August. 6" of snow too.

very cool. but all i can think is why is that poor pup on a leash, let it run! (i am such an irresponsible dog owner)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom