List of Split-Pot Games to Play as Limit (2 Viewers)

Saoliver

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
If there is already a good list of split-pot games somewhere, please direct me there.

Background: My current group is comprised of experienced hold'em players and beginners. They have agreed to play mixed games on Friday night--not too Circus-y yet. I figure that keeping the stakes as low limit (25¢/25¢ blinds, 25¢/50¢ betting) and playing split-pot will keep things fun and interesting.

So, please list any split-pot games that you think will play well as limit. We will start with 10 players. But as people drop out, I can introduce shorthanded games like SOHE, Scrotum, etc.

No 3-2-1, and recommend that you only play Draw2maha. 3-hand HoldEm is another good entry game, along with the pineapple variants. Here is a recommended evolution, with SHESHE needed in the HE section:

D0C58C00-73C3-40CB-B9DF-9BAA63D79A79.png

Last edited:
No 3-2-1, and recommend that you only play Draw2maha. 3-hand HoldEm is another good entry game, along with the pineapple variants. Here is a recommended evolution, with SHESHE needed in the HE section:

View attachment 395692
Somehow I knew that you would come through, Forrest. Thanks! I've seen a similar evolution discussion from @BGinGA . Very helpful.

Stick to the basics at first:

O8
Stud
Stud8
2-7 Triple Draw
Badugi
Double Board

Then move on to stuff like:

SOHE
Badeucey/Badacey
Razzdugi
Drawmaha
Archie

I'm all for circus stuff here and there. But in general I'm not a fan of playing flop games where you use more than 2 of your hole cards, games with an ocean card, Scarney, and super stud variants.

We’ve settled on the following games for an 8-handed cash game. It’s a great mix and each builds on the next. Good to get your crew used to playing variants and splits without going crazy.

Hold’em
Double Board Hold’em (split pot)
Omaha
Double Board Omaha (split pot)
SOHE (split pot, combines the 2 games above)

Then you can build from there. 5 Card Omaha, etc

We’ve settled on the following games for an 8-handed cash game. It’s a great mix and each builds on the next. Good to get your crew used to playing variants and splits without going crazy.

Hold’em
Double Board Hold’em (split pot)
Omaha
Double Board Omaha (split pot)
SOHE (split pot, combines the 2 games above)

Then you can build from there. 5 Card Omaha, etc
I like the idea of picking 4 or 5 games and playing a rotation. This should be fun.

I like the idea of picking 4 or 5 games and playing a rotation. This should be fun.

This works much better with newer players to mixed games. That way they can get into a rhythm of the games. Even 3-4 games to keep it even easier. Then the next time add 1 more game to the rotation.

Baby steps.

Introducing just three or four new games per session to avoid brain overload, fixed-limit stakes initially (or low-cost re-buy tournaments) to avoid major wallet lightening, and brief strategy sessions to share basics (hand selection, betting strategy, probable winning hands, etc.).

Play a few hands face up to demonstrate the main differences from hold'em. Play at least one orbit of a game before moving on to something else (I prefer at least two orbits for players learning new games). Start with hold'em variants and three-card pineapple games to push the boundaries while not losing players, then add Omaha with four hole cards and a fixed structured hand construction.

Get feedback afterwards on which games are popular and which are not, and importantly, why and why not. Drop the unpopular game(s) and add new games (based on feedback trends) for next time; rinse and repeat.

Don't try combo games (dra2maha, sohe, etc.) until after both games have already been introduced individually. Don't try hi/lo variants or double-board variants of a game until after it has been introduced first as the hi-only single-board version.

Play at least one orbit of a game before moving on to something else (I prefer at least two orbits for players learning new games).
Thanks, Dave. I knew you would come correct. I planned on a full orbit/game, but I like the idea of 2 orbits. I'll try that.

I will definitely start with the simpler varieties of hold'em/pineapple games. If things go well, and as the more novice players head home early (as they tend to do), the degens that I play with might want to play some of the more circus-y games: SOHE, SHESHE, Scrotum, Draw2maha, etc. These few players are more used to playing dealers choice games like Screw Your Neighbor, and Baseball :banghead: so they should be fine with these games.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dave. I knew you would come correct. I planned on a full orbit/game, but I like the idea of 2 orbits. I'll try that.

I will definitely start with the simpler varieties of hold'em/pineapple games. If things go well, and as the more novice players head home early (as they tend to do), the degens that I play with might want to play some of the more circus-y games: SOHE, SHESHE, Scrotum, Draw2maha, etc. These few players are more used to playing dealers choice games like Screw Your Neighbor, and Baseball :banghead: so they should be fine with these games.
My parents bought me this book at a thrift store because it was about poker:

IMG_20200121_173626668.jpg

It was published way back in 1957. In the back he describes different games and gives strategy tips. I liked what he said about Baseball, even back then:

IMG_20200121_173651369.jpg

I’ve got 11 confirmed players for my game Friday. That rules out some of the more circus-y games. I think that I will choose from 4 or 5 of the games listed below to start. Please share your thoughts.

Double board hold’em
Double board crazy pineapple
Crazy pineapple 8/b
Omaha 8/b
4 card iron cross hi/hi
4 card iron cross 8/b (best overall high & overall low)

IMO regular pineapple actually plays better than crazy p when playing double board. The discard happening after 2 flops just makes people way more nutted in bizarre ways that is hard to range, and more importantly WAY slows down the game as people agonize over what to discard in a complex flop layout. Regular pineapple increases increases strategically interesting starting hands vs just increasing the flop lottery factor, and keeps the discard phase more straightforward and fast.

Don't try hi/lo variants or double-board variants of a game until after it has been introduced first as the hi-only single-board version.
Learned this last Friday at our monthly game. Attempted to do O8 as I thought split pots would be better for everyone, lasted three hands before we had to throw in the towel.

IMO regular pineapple actually plays better than crazy p when playing double board. The discard happening after 2 flops just makes people way more nutted in bizarre ways that is hard to range, and more importantly WAY slows down the game as people agonize over what to discard in a complex flop layout. Regular pineapple increases increases strategically interesting starting hands vs just increasing the flop lottery factor, and keeps the discard phase more straightforward and fast.
That certainly makes sense. I will change it.

Learned this last Friday at our monthly game. Attempted to do O8 as I thought split pots would be better for everyone, lasted three hands before we had to throw in the towel.
We have played some split pot games in the past, so the concept of low will not be new...but Omaha in general does confuse some of my players so I will make sure to go slow when discussing the rules before we play it.

My list (in order) for tonight will be:

Double board hold'em
Double board pineapple
Crazy pineapple 8
Super hold'em 8
Double board super hold'em
4 card crazy pineapple 8
(Maybe) Omaha 8

I know of a few players that are not staying too late tonight. When the true hold'em degens are still around, I'll see if they want to play some of these games:

Scrotum
Scotum 8
SHESHE
Big O
Draw2maha
SOHE
3 hand hold'em
Thermonuclear Armageddon Pineapple 8 (for @T_Chan :tup: )
Omaha hi/hi

I have a couple guys that have played 7 stud, 7 stud 8 and Chicago...so maybe Mississippi Stud 8 or Tahoe Pitch & Roll might appeal to them.

Ah read every post here and thought that’s it EUREKA!

Now I’m gonna introduce double board pineapple fixed limit. What could possibly go wrong?

Then I read that last post :banghead:

Ah well... fuck it I’m gonna try it anyway :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Ah read every post here and thought that’s it EUREKA!

Now I’m gonna introduce double board pineapple fixed limit. What could possibly go wrong?

Then I read that last post :banghead:

Ah well... fuck it I’m gonna try it anyway :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I’ll try again with a different mix of players. Many here have had success so I am determined.

Let me know how it goes. I look forward to your pron.

Did you try Double board Omaha and pineapple or just one of them?

Bearing in mind one of my players calls it Oklahoma I don’t fancy my chances of succeeding :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
I couldn’t even get them to try double board hold’em! Long time friends that I’ve known for up to 20 years...but they are so nitty. We can only play micro stakes PLHE and $20 tourneys I guess.

Like I said, I need new friends.

I couldn’t even get them to try double board hold’em! Long time friends that I’ve known for up to 20 years...but they are so nitty. We can only play micro stakes PLHE and $20 tourneys I guess.

Like I said, I need new friends.
Same here. They only buy in for £20 at a time. Then after a few beers there a few hundred pounds on the table :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

My only experience of circus games has been at meet-ups but I have learned a lot. At SQM, I played badugi variants and that confused the hell out of me.

Instead of my trial by fire, personally, I would start with high only games with a single board:
  • Hold'em
  • Super hold'em
  • 3-hand hold'em
  • Omaha
  • Pineapple
  • Scrotum
  • ImPLOcean
Then you do split pot high only games
  • SHESHE
  • SOHE
  • Draw2maha
  • Route 66
Then progress to double board split pot games
  • Double board hold 'em
  • Double board Omaha
  • Double board 5-card Ohama (God's game)
  • Scarney (I had a lot of "low" confusion here so maybe leave this out)
So there are a bunch of games you can play here where it's still normal poker but with only variations to the numbers of cards in play.

After people are familiar with the above then introduce the 8-qualifier low games. For me the biggest challenge was the brain switch between looking only at the high to looking at both high and low.
  • Hold'em 8
  • Super hold'em 8
  • 3-hand Hold'em 8
  • Pineapple 8
  • Omaha 8
  • 5-card Omaha 8/BigO
  • ImPLOcean8
  • Scrotum 8
Then if you're a real glutton for punishment, the "ugis"

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom