Criticism Needed On New Game I Designed (2 Viewers)

I like wild card games but, as described in the OP, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be a fan of mixing poker with "killer" - https://card-games.wonderhowto.com/how-to/play-game-killer-with-playing-cards-0122253/

If I make a guess and guess wrong, I have to match the bet and fold? I'm not liking that... If/when I *finally get the joker (and *finally have a wild card) all of a sudden if someone happens to guess that I have it, I'm out of the game again (and the guesser just wins)? I'm not liking that either...

Without dealing/trying it out, I don't see why anyone would break the ice and take a guess, especially with a larger group of players? And if the number of players is small, seems like the process of elimination would kick in very (too) quickly?

Group of 6, first person to guess has a 1/5 chance of being right. If wrong, there's only 4 people left and the next guesser has a 1/3 chance. If wrong again, there's only 2 left and the person Without the joker basically just wins.

Group of 8, 1st guess is 1/7, 2nd guess is 1/5, 3rd guess is 1/3, next guess wins...

The only time the guessing would take a little longer would be if a player guesses the person to his/her left (and is wrong) and that player guesses to his/her left (and is wrong), etc.. ?

Just like your recent game performance, kinda lackluster, as the big G still lives.
Maybe fuck off?
I’d rather be a nit and still be playing than an annoying railbird who doesn’t play but berates those that do for how they play
We can’t take breaks now? Who are you, Doyle Brunson? Last I checked I’m not in makeup to you, so worry about yourself and your 2.7 VPIP.

Maybe fuck off?

We can’t take breaks now? Who are you, Doyle Brunson? Last I checked I’m not in makeup to you, so worry about yourself and your 2.7 VPIP.
Rail@bergs has a pretty nice ring to it.

Maybe you shouldn’t start calling people names if you can’t take it. But that’s how railbergs are, always chirping their song over there.

Rail@bergs has a pretty nice ring to it.

Maybe you shouldn’t start calling people names if you can’t take it. But that’s how railbergs are, always chirping their song over there.
Let’s go back to you hopelessly arguing why wild card games are equivalent to Omaha variants and other circus games even in the face of overwhelming evidence that they aren’t.

I apologize for calling you a nit. You’re not really a nit. You’re insufferably pedantic and akin to a small, biting gnat that you can’t see and find repeatedly annoying, but you aren’t a nit.

I enjoy most circus games, but draw the line at playing comic book games. What's next, playing Riddler with an introduced Trivial Pursuit card? Hard pass on OP's 'Batman' for the numerous reasons already stated.

And fwiw, Scarney is a great game. But it's not poker.

Let’s go back to you hopelessly arguing why wild card games are equivalent to Omaha variants and other circus games even in the face of overwhelming evidence that they aren’t.

I apologize for calling you a nit. You’re not really a nit. You’re insufferably pedantic and akin to a small, biting gnat that you can’t see and find repeatedly annoying, but you aren’t a nit.
Chirp chirp chirp is all I read. If you need a stake I can help you a little, but us nits are pretty tight. Let me know though and I’ll pass the hat around for you.

Chirp chirp chirp is all I read. If you need a stake I can help you a little, but us nits are pretty tight. Let me know though and I’ll pass the hat around for you.
Are you offering to give me free money? Craig has the GoFundMe, but I won’t say no to a donation. Let me know if you want my Venmo.

Are you offering to give me free money? Craig has the GoFundMe, but I won’t say no to a donation. Let me know if you want my Venmo.
Sure. I don’t mind helping a down and out player get up a little. I can stake you to a buyin at a game, that way I know you don’t spend it on booze.

I enjoy most circus games, but draw the line at playing comic book games. What's next, playing Riddler with an introduced Trivial Pursuit card? Hard pass on OP's 'Batman' for the numerous reasons already stated.

And fwiw, Scarney is a great game. But it's not poker.
Scarney is absolutely poker.

1703174851879.png

Sorry, but any game where a nut winning hand can be decimated by pure luck is not poker.
Broadway straight on the turn losing once a third spade comes on the river? Isn't that pure luck ruining a nut winning hand? Or trips on the board counterfeiting a lower flopped fullhouse?

Broadway straight on the turn losing once a third spade comes on the river? Isn't that pure luck ruining a nut winning hand? Or trips on the board counterfeiting a lower flopped fullhouse?
Neither of those are nut hands if something else can beat them. I'm talking about the stone cold nuts being invalidated.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231221-112952(1).png
    Screenshot_20231221-112952(1).png
    876.1 KB · Views: 25
Neither of those are nut hands if something else can beat them. I'm talking about the stone cold nuts being invalidated.
I'm confused, might just be semantics. The hand's not beatable on that street because there's still a card to come. Stone cold nuts on the turn become invalidated by a river card changing the information and cards we have to work with. Scarney, you get another card to work with and cards are discarded, changing the situation.

Are you just talking about losing the king from your royal flush? Its frustrating but I relate it to the board coming out 5 hearts while I have 2 black aces, its a disappointment but I know the game dramatically changes hand strengths. I'm not being obtuse, I just enjoy both games and have fun working with things like Scarney strategy.

Edit: Flopped 4 of a kind aces losing to an eventual straight flush that's enabled by a turn and river card. Invalidating stone cold nuts? Because soon as other cards are added, nuts change.

Sorry, but any game where a nut winning hand can be decimated by pure luck is not poker.

Every hand in every game came be decimated by the river. Scarney included

Wild card means your hand may be decimated before the flop

Edit:

flopping quads/ str8 flushes in some games not withstanding

Every hand in every game came be decimated by the river. Scarney included

Wild card means your hand may be decimated before the flop

Edit:

flopping quads/ str8 flushes in some games not withstanding
Technically, in a non-wild poker game, there is only 1 hand (technically 4 if counting suits), that cannot be beat if you have it before the river. In every other instance, the river can change the outcome of the hand.

Of course, any game in which boards/cards are removed ... well .. yeah, who knows what you have

It's not invalidated. It would still be valid if you still had it. You just don't have it anymore.

Thread has kind of detailed and I'm in agreement that the joker being wild could be too powerful. Might be a possible game balance thing to play the joker as Pai Gow rules? A joker can complete a straight or flush, otherwise it's just an ace.

I do think that making a correct accusation shouldn't immediately win the entire pot. It might be more interesting if it was a team-play thing where the pot is chopped between non-joker-having players if the "civilians" manage to correctly guess, although I can see the dealer math becoming cumbersome here.

I used to play a lot of 7 Card Stud variants as a kid, with or without wild cards, sometimes with the stipulation that a natural pair of 7s wins the whole pot.

Start off with 77 in the hole? Awesome! Jam jam jam.

Unless someone else gets 77 with both cards on the board. Then that person wins the pot outright and the person with 77 in the hole gets nothing.

I tried to argue that it should be a split, but my uncle was quick to point out: "That's why they call it gambling."

It's a positive feature of a game when nits can't just sit around waiting for undefeatable hands.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom