Do you play with a Bring In for Stud Home Games? (2 Viewers)

You could explain to your players that SOMEBODY has to start the betting, like a blind in hold em, and the alternative is just to make them pay a full bet?

I'm not sure why you quoted me when you mansplained the bring in.

However, there is no bring in after the first round of bets. Action starts with the high card in subsequent rounds and that player may check and is not required to bet.
Why are you talking about everyone checking it down to see 7th street ? Are you saying with no bring in there would be no betting on every street ?

Why are you talking about everyone checking it down to see 7th street ? Are you saying with no bring in there would be no betting on every street ?
Right. At the very least there will be more instances of this. If there is no bring in, there is no initial play/fold decision the same way there is if players have an option to check 3rd st.

We play stud with regular blinds. The first round plays in order of the table and after the first round action starts on the best hand showing. Works fine without the bring in.

Stud had always used antes and a bring in. It's necessary to avoid multi-multi way pots.

In terms of ante size, it should be 15-30% the size of the small bet. The bring in should be 25-50% the size of the small bet. A good ratio of ante-bring in-bets is 1-2-6-12., 1-1-4-8, or 1-2-4-8.

Related question:

If player with low card pays the mandatory bring in bet instead of completing the bet, then does the next player to act also have the option to also just pay the bring in instead of completing the bet?

And if that’s the case, then what happens if nobody completes the bet on 3rd street? Do you simply just proceed to 4th street with a smaller than normal pot (no complete bets or raises)?

Not saying this is likely to happen, but curious on procedure if it were to happen.

I’ve played Stud8 with antes and a bring-in. Never played it any other way, but I’ve only played it at one venue.

Related question:

If player with low card pays the mandatory bring in bet instead of completing the bet, then does the next player to act also have the option to also just pay the bring in instead of completing the bet?

And if that’s the case, then what happens if nobody completes the bet on 3rd street? Do you simply just proceed to 4th street with a smaller than normal pot (no complete bets or raises)?

Not saying this is likely to happen, but curious on procedure if it were to happen.
I've never played where you have to complete the bring. If the bring-in doesn't complete their opening bet then you can just call the bring. This means the next player also can't raise, only complete the bet or call the bring.

Related question:

Correct on both counts sir. If the player with the force only does the minimum bring in, then everyone has the option to call the bring in, complete the bet, or fold.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that since the bring in is not considered a "full bet" that it does not count toward any sort of cap in limit play.

The one stud game played in a cardroom around here about 10 years ago or so is 2/4 limit stud with a 0.50 ante and a 1 bring in. We play with a 5-bet limit on each street so completing to 2 is considered the first bet toward the cap and up to four more raises are permitted. That said...

Not saying this is likely to happen, but curious on procedure if it were to happen

This actually is the frequent occurrence in this game as it is totally populated by OMC types that very seldom raise. So again no real procedure here. If no one completes the bet, everyone that called the bring in proceeds to 4th street.

It is worth noting a bring in is distinct from a blind in a button game in the sense that the player posting the bring in does not get a chance to act if gets back to him with no completion since the player had the option of making a full bet as opposed to the bring in.

Last edited:
Correct on both counts sir. If the player with the force only does the minimum bring in, then everyone has the option to call the bring in, complete the bet, or fold.

It is perhaps worth mentioning that since the bring in is not considered a "full bet" that it does not count toward any sort of cap in limit play.

The one stud game played in a cardroom around here about 10 years ago or so is 2/4 limit stud with a 0.50 ante and a 1 bring in. We play with a 5-bet limit on each street so completing to 2 is considered the first bet toward the cap and up to four more raises are permitted. That said...

This actually is the frequent occurrence in this game as it is totally populated by OMC types that very seldom raise. So again no real procedure here. If no one completes the bet, everyone that called the bring in proceeds to 4th street.

It is worth noting a bring in is distinct from a blind in a button game in the sense that the player posting the bring in does not get a chance to act if gets back to him since the player had the option of making a full bet as opposed to the bring in.
Great response. Thank you!

There's also a rule that has somewhat fallen out of favor, where if you have an up pair on fourth street, you can choose to open bet fourth for the big bet amount.
My players like this. They don't normally play limit and 7stud can be slow for them so momentum with a pair is usually favored.

I've never played where you have to complete the bring. If the bring-in doesn't complete their opening bet then you can just call the bring. This means the next player also can't raise, only complete the bet or call the bring.
FWIW, my answer below this was probably strictly about limit play. No limit stud being so rare these days. (Such a brutal game with 5 betting rounds)

That said, no-limit stud is a thing in my family micro game. (10c ante, 20c bring in.) In no-limit stud we simply treat the bring-in as the minimum required for the player with the force to open, but said player also has the option to open for any higher amount if he chooses. (Analogous to having the option to make a full bet in limit play.) After the force acts in no-limit stud, anyone acting after may raise to any amount regardless of the amount the bring-in player chose.

But the concept of "completing" a bet really only makes sense in the context of limit play. If you play no limit, I think you just play the bring-in is the minimum open one player is forced to make and there are no restrictions other than standard no-limit betting rules after that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom