Cash Game How to use Bomb Pot buttons (3 Viewers)

trigs

Flush
Reaction score
I recently purchased some bomb pot buttons and was brainstorming some ideas on how to use them in my cash game. I've searched the forum and found a few options such as:
  • everyone gets one bomb pot button and can use it at any time - one use and removed from the game (and maybe can be brought back in on a full rebuy if the player has already used their first one)
  • same as above, but players will only have the option to use it when they are on the button
  • two bomb pot buttons randomly given out to two players; one moves clockwise, the other counter clockwise; when they meet it's a bomb pot (this is way too many bomb pots for my liking though)
I have obviously seen other bomb pot options like:
  • after single suit flop there's a bomb pot next hand
  • after paired board there's a bomb pot next hand
  • bomb pot every orbit/hour/x amount of time
However, these options don't get the actual bomb pot buttons in play, so I'm not interested in them for this.

I was thinking of the following maybe: Two bomb pot buttons given out to two random players to start. When a player with a bomb pot button is UTG, they put it in the pot. Winner of the pot also wins the bomb pot button. If a player manages to capture both bomb pot buttons, next hand is a bomb pot.

Not sure how that would work in practice though. Could create some interesting dynamics, but also could make bomb pots a little too rare perhaps. Maybe there could be three bomb pot buttons given out randomly to start, and whenever someone gets a hold of two of them next hand is a bomb pot. I guess it would depend on how many players in the game though. 6 handed use two; 9 handed use three.

What do you guys think? And do you have any other creative ways to get these buttons into play? Please keep in mind that for a full table of 9 players, and a game that runs for ~6 to 7 hours, something like 6-10 bomb pots a night is a good range in my opinion.

My games do it one of two ways:

Time based, ever 30-60min. With a bomb pot button that rotates around the table. For the bomb pot, the normal button is kept back and the bomb pot button is the "button" for that hand. The person with the bomb pot button chooses the bomb pot game from hold em, pineapple, crazy pineapple, Omaha (4 or 5 card), and chooses single or double board.

Every orbit. Bomb pot is done when the button gets to the person with the bomb pot button. Do normal hand first, then the bomb pot, then move both buttons as normal. Play back around to the player that got the bomb pot button and repeat.

I hand one bomb pot chip out to each player with their starting stack, and they can use it on any hand as long as they throw it in before the hand is dealt. After use, the chip is removed from play so we only have as many bomb pots as players.

I recently purchased some bomb pot buttons and was brainstorming some ideas on how to use them in my cash game. I've searched the forum and found a few options such as:
  • everyone gets one bomb pot button and can use it at any time - one use and removed from the game (and maybe can be brought back in on a full rebuy if the player has already used their first one)
  • same as above, but players will only have the option to use it when they are on the button
  • two bomb pot buttons randomly given out to two players; one moves clockwise, the other counter clockwise; when they meet it's a bomb pot (this is way too many bomb pots for my liking though)
I have obviously seen other bomb pot options like:
  • after single suit flop there's a bomb pot next hand
  • after paired board there's a bomb pot next hand
  • bomb pot every orbit/hour/x amount of time
However, these options don't get the actual bomb pot buttons in play, so I'm not interested in them for this.

I was thinking of the following maybe: Two bomb pot buttons given out to two random players to start. When a player with a bomb pot button is UTG, they put it in the pot. Winner of the pot also wins the bomb pot button. If a player manages to capture both bomb pot buttons, next hand is a bomb pot.

Not sure how that would work in practice though. Could create some interesting dynamics, but also could make bomb pots a little too rare perhaps. Maybe there could be three bomb pot buttons given out randomly to start, and whenever someone gets a hold of two of them next hand is a bomb pot. I guess it would depend on how many players in the game though. 6 handed use two; 9 handed use three.

What do you guys think? And do you have any other creative ways to get these buttons into play? Please keep in mind that for a full table of 9 players, and a game that runs for ~6 to 7 hours, something like 6-10 bomb pots a night is a good range in my opinion.

No need to overcomplicate this.
Dealer button goes clockwise and Bomb button goes the opposite moving only once after a bomb pot is played as @Legend5555 describes.
Every orbit. Bomb pot is done when the button gets to the person with the bomb pot button. Do normal hand first, then the bomb pot, then move both buttons as normal. Play back around to the player that got the bomb pot button and repeat.

How may orbits do you guys do in an hour with 9 players?

My games do it one of two ways:

Time based, ever 30-60min. With a bomb pot button that rotates around the table. For the bomb pot, the normal button is kept back and the bomb pot button is the "button" for that hand. The person with the bomb pot button chooses the bomb pot game from hold em, pineapple, crazy pineapple, Omaha (4 or 5 card), and chooses single or double board.

We do something similar but combining these two methods.

We start the game and then when the time is at the hour we give that person a Bomb button, they can choose Omaha or hold em and then single or double board. Then the person to the left gets the bomb button. The next time we get close to the hour mark +/- 5mins or so, we will run another bomb pot when that player who has the bomb button gets the actual dealer button. We always run a regular hand then a bomb pot. Afterwards the bomb button moves to the next person on the left and so on.

We play a bomb pot after every monotone flop- should happen around once every 20 hands but we had 4 in a row last night

No need to overcomplicate this.
Dealer button goes clockwise and Bomb button goes the opposite moving only once after a bomb pot is played as @Legend5555 describes.

How may orbits do you guys do in an hour with 9 players?
Like I mentioned in OP, that's way too many bomb pots in a night for my liking.

I couldn't say for sure how many orbits. Depends on the game, and I'm always switching up the variants.

I feel like not everyone is reading the OP ;) but thanks for the responses.
I hear ya. I guess my issue with what you trying to do is that I don't like giving people the option of when to have it. You get into issues where multiple people want to do it at the same time. Good players get to strategically use it when certain players get deep. I just think it's cleaner to have it happen on some regular basis like by time or number of hands.

I host a weekly non raked cash game. I provide snacks and drinks, sometimes food Working on building out enough liqure for the bar . Each player gets one bomb pot button to be used at any time. Players can buy additional bomb pots for a $5 donation, the donation pays for all of the above .

The first 2 pots get a bomb pot chip added to it. Whoever wins the pot gets the chip. The holder of the chip, before the first card of that hand is dealt, can throw in the bomb pot chip. That hand is now bomb pot, with the winner getting the bomb pot chip to use at their discretion. That way you appease the hardcore nutjobs (half my players) who want bomb pot constantly, and the conservatives (like me) who will win it and sit on it for a long time to slow things down.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom