How to introduce Bomb pots into home game ? (1 Viewer)

yoke386

Pair
Reaction score
Good evening !

I’m hosting another game on Tuesday and I’ve been thinking about introducing bomb pots into the mix.

I’m relatively new to hosting, this will be my 4th game since April, have a group of about 15 that get the invite and have been playing about 9 handed .25¢/.50¢ NLHEm with $40 buy ins. Usually have a couple re-buys throughout the night but we don’t get more than $500-600 in play.

We start play at about 6 and put the end time for 11. Anyone who wants to play more after is welcomed to stay and play but I like giving people an idea of the amount of time the game will run.

Anyways. Bomb pots. Given our stakes I was thinking about making it a $2 per player pot, and was going to set a timer on my phone for every 45 minutes to play it. This way it will be random enough for everyone’s positions when it goes off.

I’ve actually never played a bomb pot, and am also looking to how you would deal out a Texas hold ‘em style. Based on all the poker YouTube, assuming actions starts to the left of the button (small blind) post flop. Then continues as normal.

Just wanted to get some Bomb pot info from the more seasoned vets of the forum.
Thanks for reading !

Just ask them to play it one time as a trial, you'll be playing them from there on out.

Everyone post $2 then deal out cards as normal. After hole cards are dealt you Immediately burn a card and then peel off 3 cards for the first flop (top board), and 3 more cards for the second flop (bottom board). Then betting resumes to the left of the button, as normal. Burn one, peel two turns. Bet. Burn one, peel two rivers.

Using a bomb pot button is a good way of playing them. When the regular button gets back around to the bomb pot button you play a bomb pot. Then after the bomb pot is completed you play a regular pot hand. After that hand both buttons move. When it gets back around again you do the same, again.

My regular group is averse to double-boards, despite my persistent attempts to get them to play them for bomb pots, so we rarely do that. We play dealer's choice, one game per orbit, and at the end of the orbit we play a bomb pot of the game we just dealt.

We use a bomb pot button, and when the dealer button gets back to it, we deal the bomb pot, then both the dealer button and bomb pot button moves. The dealer calls the next game for the orbit, the bomb pot button freezes until the dealer buttons comes back.

I’ve actually never played a bomb pot, and am also looking to how you would deal out a Texas hold ‘em style. Based on all the poker YouTube, assuming actions starts to the left of the button (small blind) post flop. Then continues as normal.
Imagine a regular hand where the first player to act raised to $2 and EVERYBODY called.

Now just eliminate the pesky raising and calling part, tell everyone to put $2 in the middle, and go straight to the flop after you finish dealing hands.

That's a bomb pot. The rest of the hand plays out like normal.

Just ask them to play it one time as a trial, you'll be playing them from there on out.

Everyone post $2 then deal out cards as normal. After hole cards are dealt you Immediately burn a card and then peel off 3 cards for the first flop (top board), and 3 more cards for the second flop (bottom board). Then betting resumes to the left of the button, as normal. Burn one, peel two turns. Bet. Burn one, peel two rivers.
Thank you,
Your explanation couldn’t be any clearer. Honestly I was a little worried to run a double board bomb pot, and was going to run just a standard board. it seems just as easy to run the double, I’ll definitely be working that in.

Love the idea of the bomb pot button as well.

Using a bomb pot button is a good way of playing them. When the regular button gets back around to the bomb pot button you play a bomb pot. Then after the bomb pot is completed you play a regular pot hand. After that hand both buttons move. When it gets back around again you do the same, again.
My group also uses a bomb pot button, and it moves in the opposite direction of the regular button.

So when a player has both buttons, they deal a bomb pot. Afterward, the regular button moves left and the bomb pot button moves right.

My group also uses a bomb pot button, and it moves in the opposite direction of the regular button.

So when a player has both buttons, they deal a bomb pot. Afterward, the regular button moves left and the bomb pot button moves right.
I may improvise a bomb pot button for Tuesday, definitely seems like the most organized way to facilitate the bomb pot commencement.

If only I can get my players shuffling and dealing skills up to par so we can play more than 5 orbits a night lol

Thank you,
Your explanation couldn’t be any clearer. Honestly I was a little worried to run a double board bomb pot, and was going to run just a standard board. it seems just as easy to run the double, I’ll definitely be working that in.

Love the idea of the bomb pot button as well.
If you run double-board bomb pots, you will have to chop the pot almost every time - often multi-way.

Also, more players will get involved, which means double-board bomb pots will typically be bigger than single-board. More money will move, and players will have to rebuy more often.

Be sure your crowd is okay with this if you choose to go the double-board route. My regular game does this and loves it, but YMMV.

If you run double-board bomb pots, you will have to chop the pot almost every time - often multi-way.

Also, more players will typically get involved, which means double-board bomb pots will typically be bigger than single-board. More money will move, and players will have to rebuy more often.

Be sure your crowd is okay with this if you choose to go the double-board route. My regular game does this and loves it, but YMMV.
I think I’ll introduce the single board bomb pot this Tuesday. And make mention of running a double board in the future. The stakes keep it interesting, but most of my players are there for the social aspect. You’re 100percent right on getting the crowd feedback. I would hate to have people getting felted left and right and chopping up pots. Because maths is hard

So, in this situation, once a round a person is going to forfeit their position of last to act in a regular dealt hand every time the two buttons meet.

When I first started we do Bomb pot every hour and a few Bomb pot at the end of the session.

Now, the Degen play bomb pot every orbit so we usually play around 15-20 Bomb pot per session now

I personally don't like the bomb pots unless its among a friendly social group. That said some issue can arise such as hosts calling bomb pots as the dealer, or people magically always holding the button as the clock strikes bomb.. I have tried to reduce that problem if I ever play a bomb pot attempting these methods below.

One suggestion with bomb pots is to create some unpredictability to the time/event equation. I found that if played regularly that certain players will slyly try to prolong hands to obtain optimal bomb pot dealer position.

Example would be 30mins, +30mins where a signal could occur randomly in the 2nd 30mins at some point. Or 1 hr, then randomly within the 2nd hr. After a cooldown period (ie 30mins or an hour) followed by a random alarm period for the next bomb pot.

The other option is to give each player 1 bomb pot button to play anytime in the game. The button must be played prior to cards being dealt and only from positions 1-3 left of the dealer assuming 6 players +. Thus neither blinds nor the dealer could play a bomb pot button.

Last option is "forced straddle or 2x -3x straddle" if the hand begins on a quarter (ie 15,30,45,60 mins exactly)

I honestly liked each player holding a button to play at their liberty when not in a position advantage on the table blind before the deal.

Or, here's an idea, you can play one bomb pot every orbit. That player is the button for both back to back hands, one bomb pot, one regular. That way every one has the same advantage every rotation, and, no one has to forfeit being the button for one or the other.

I personally don't like the bomb pots unless its among a friendly social group. That said some issue can arise such as hosts calling bomb pots as the dealer, or people magically always holding the button as the clock strikes bomb.. I have tried to reduce that problem if I ever play a bomb pot attempting these methods below.

One suggestion with bomb pots is to create some unpredictability to the time/event equation. I found that if played regularly that certain players will slyly try to prolong hands to obtain optimal bomb pot dealer position.

Example would be 30mins, +30mins where a signal could occur randomly in the 2nd 30mins at some point. Or 1 hr, then randomly within the 2nd hr. After a cooldown period (ie 30mins or an hour) followed by a random alarm period for the next bomb pot.

The other option is to give each player 1 bomb pot button to play anytime in the game. The button must be played prior to cards being dealt and only from positions 1-3 left of the dealer assuming 6 players +. Thus neither blinds nor the dealer could play a bomb pot button.

Last option is "forced straddle or 2x -3x straddle" if the hand begins on a quarter (ie 15,30,45,60 mins exactly)

I honestly liked each player holding a button to play at their liberty when not in a position advantage on the table blind before the deal.
I agree, we run a social game among friends. I believe that it’s a fair game, and do want to eliminate anyone thinking “the fix” is on. Most of these people guys are my co workers and we make good money and joke that a buy in is one hour of overtime. After recently reading some threads about banned players who were well off in relatively low stakes games cheating due to the drive to win I want this to be random and hopefully introduce some fun action to the night. I don’t anticipate many pot sized bets until my table becomes more poker degens.

With the recent introduction of sports betting in mass they all are degens in their own respect

Or, here's an idea, you can play one bomb pot every orbit. That player is the button for both back to back hands, one bomb pot, one regular. That way every one has the same advantage every rotation, and, no one has to forfeit being the button for one or the other.
I’m thinking about using some of the ceramic chip sample sets I got and call them bomb pot buttons. Give everyone one at the start of the game with their buy in, use it when you want, if they want to use it when they’re on the button great. When they’re under the gun swell. As long as it’s before the cards are dealt I guess it will be fair bc everyone gets one. This is all assuming they want to do it in general

I like to think my players are enjoying themselves bc they are returning to the game. I don’t think they understand the amount of thought I’ve put into hosting lol

So, in this situation, once a round a person is going to forfeit their position of last to act in a regular dealt hand every time the two buttons meet.
Dealer only loses their pre-flop positional advantage (along with everybody else). They have position the rest of the hand.

And it's fair anyway, since everybody deals at least one bomb pot per night.

Or, just use a bomb pot button. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: ;)

Friendly needling aside, a button makes bomb pots very predictable, but removes the time element to prevent shenanigans.

Also, our bomb pots are always optional. This prevents having to deal with players who always have to take a leak or have a smoke right as a bomb pot is about to start.

I'm still trying to figure something out, if you have 8 players, and the buttons reverse, you're going to have bomb pots on, players 1 and 5 every rotation (just using 1 and 5 as examples of starting positions for sale of this example). The number 1 and 5 players will forfeit the ability to ever be last to act in a regular hand.

I'm still trying to figure something out, if you have 8 players, and the buttons reverse, you're going to have bomb pots on, players 1 and 5 every rotation (just using 1 and 5 as examples of starting positions for sale of this example). The number 1 and 5 players will forfeit the ability to ever be last to act in a regular hand.
Example

First bomb pot at Seat 1, After bomb pot done.

Button move to Seat 2 as per normal. Bomb pot move to Seat 8 and stay there.

Second Bomb pot happen when Button moved to Seat 8. After bomb pot done.

Button move to Seat 1 as per normal. Bomb pot move to Seat 7 and stay there and so on and so on for the rest of the night

Yes, I brain cramped there thinking they both moved each hand. Still not a fan of giving up the button every round for a bomb pot.

I have bomb pot chips. Every player gets one, and can call one bomb pot on his/her button at any point during the night, anything from 2 to 5 card, double board. It works great.

Last edited:
Still not a fan of giving up the button every round for a bomb pot.
You only give up the button every 9th round for a bomb pot for a Full table.

Another solution is everyone play a bomb pot den proceed to play a normal hand with the button again before passing the button down

I also think $2 on $40 stacks is too much. Our 8 handed $100 buyin game does them with $2 so the pot starts with 16 going into the flop and people start betting pot they get big fast. .50-$1 seems like enough if your 6-8 handed.

I recently did a thing with my weekly cash game that got bomb pots rolling very nicely and made everyone happy.

I bring a couple barrels of old ceramic chips like this, that are very distinct from the chips we're playing with:

1687492388012.png

With each buy-in and rebuy, I include one of these, which I call a bomb-pot token.

On your button, you can redeem the token to trigger a bomb pot. Everyone antes 1, and we play no-limit Omaha (game is normally 0.25/0.50 NLHE with 20 max buy-in). The short max buy-in means that a lot of tokens get onto the table in a night.

We play a lot of Omaha bomb pots now. Even people who are typically Hold'em exclusivists get in on it. It's great.

When I've played bomb pots on America's Cardroom, it's a random draw to see who gets the button.
How 'bout we finally put those dice to good use?!
At the alotted time (every 20 mins, 30 mins etc.), the next person to be the button rolls the dice, and the number shown is how many seats you count clockwise to find the bomb pot dealer.
When the bomb pot hand is over, play resumes back to the dealer being the dice shooter.

Last edited:
I think the thing with bomb pots is the two boards. Playing with one board just makes it like a straddle that everyone called (as said above).
What makes it fun is the impact of the second board.
When I started I my game, it took a game or two but after that everyone LOVEs them. We play $200 $1/$2 and bomb pots start at $4, then $6, $8 and $10 in successive pots. We max at $10.
We play on the hour and it does seem like the same ppl end up on the button so I like some of the ideas above for making that more random. Going to incorporate something along those lines.

When I've played bomb pots on America's Cardroom, it's a random draw to see who gets the button.
How 'bout we finally put those dice to good use?!
At the alotted time (every 20 mins, 30 mins etc.), the next person to be the button rolls the dice, and the number shown is how many seats you count clockwise to find the bomb pot dealer.
When the bomb pot hand is over, play resumes back to the dealer being the dice shooter.
This really makes it random! What happens to the regular button in this scenario? Doe it sit idle while the bomb pot is being played and when it over, the regular button moves one to the left from its idle position to continue the regular game?

When you say "dealer" here, do you mean the bomb pot dealer now hold the dice and is the next to shoot them at the time mark?

After an evening of doing this random approach, have you ever had a player NOT be a bomb pot dealer?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom