How to introduce Bomb pots into home game ? (1 Viewer)

This really makes it random! What happens to the regular button in this scenario? Doe it sit idle while the bomb pot is being played and when it over, the regular button moves one to the left from its idle position to continue the regular game?

When you say "dealer" here, do you mean the bomb pot dealer now hold the dice and is the next to shoot them at the time mark?

After an evening of doing this random approach, have you ever had a player NOT be a bomb pot dealer?
Yes, I consider the bomb pot a separate entity from the regular rotation of the button. Once the bomb pot hand is over, the button should go back to where it was prior to the bomb pot.
Think of it this way...the bell rings signifying next hand is a bomb pot. The person due to have the button on the next hand is now the shooter, rolls dice and bomb pot hand plays. Once the bomb pot hand is done, regular play resumes with the shooter as the button, as it was before the bomb pot hand was played.

I've never played it this way before, but depending on how many bomb pots are planned, its certainly possible that someone will not be the button during the night. But since it's fairly random, that's life. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

In America's Cardroom on a bomb pot, the button spins around the table like a big wheel, slowing and finally stopping. Maybe put each players name on this online big wheel and give it a spin each time? :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
https://www.bonus.com/spin/

Last edited:
At the first hand of the night I put a bomb pot chip into the pot - the winner of this first pot of the evening will claim the chip. The chip can be used in any position after one orbit has been played through.
When a bomb pot is called the chip goes into the middle and the player with the best hand will claim the chip in conjunction with the pot. A full orbit has to play through after every bomb pot before another can be called.
We started out with single board bomb pots which have transitioned into exclusively pineapple double board bomb pots. Highest hand for each board claims half the unless of course a scoop occurs. I buy lotto scratchers and put into the bomb - the player with the highest hand between the two boards claims this ticket as a mini prize.

At the first hand of the night I put a bomb pot chip into the pot - the winner of this first pot of the evening will claim the chip. The chip can be used in any position after one orbit has been played through.
When a bomb pot is called the chip goes into the middle and the player with the best hand will claim the chip in conjunction with the pot. A full orbit has to play through after every bomb pot before another can be called.
We started out with single board bomb pots which have transitioned into exclusively pineapple double board bomb pots. Highest hand for each board claims half the unless of course a scoop occurs. I buy lotto scratchers and put into the bomb - the player with the highest hand between the two boards claims this ticket as a mini prize.
I have been thinking about doing a high hand bonus during the night. Buying a couple scratch tickets or having players throw a few dollars into a jar at the beginning of the night have been on the short list of ideas. Games been running monthly, thinking when winter rolls around I’ll be able to introduce some more ideas as players will probably be interested in attending a game every couple weeks instead of every 4-5 weeks

I have been thinking about doing a high hand bonus during the night. Buying a couple scratch tickets or having players throw a few dollars into a jar at the beginning of the night have been on the short list of ideas. Games been running monthly, thinking when winter rolls around I’ll be able to introduce some more ideas as players will probably be interested in attending a game every couple weeks instead of every 4-5 weeks
You got the right idea. Have fun trying different things - even if it seems gimmicky, give it a go.
Good thoughts about winter time to focus on your game frequency. Have a vision and stick with it. Your intentions of bringing enjoyment into your group will manifest over time and you will realize your vision. Lol sorry not trying to make it sound deep or anything.

The timer means some people will be in position on bomb pots more than others. Used to do it, don't anymore.

Use the bomb pot button mentioned by others. Bomb pot when the dealer button and bomb pot button are on same person. Do not move the dealer button after that hand, but move the bomb pot button back one player and continue normally.

When we are shorter handed I use a two sided bomb pot button. First orbit flips it. Second orbit is the bomb pot. So every other orbit rather than every orbit.

In addition to the bomb pot button, we do a rock (2x the big blind value, a free and required straddle under the gun when you have the rock in that postion). These don't require any pot raking for bonuses and encourage action. Definitely a sweet spot for the cash game I run that uses these.

Last edited:
In addition to the bomb pot button, we do a rock (2x the big blind value, a free and required straddle under the gun when yoy have the rock in that postion). These don't require any pot raking for bonuses and encourage action. Definitely a sweet spot for the cash game I run that uses these.
What does the rock look like? Anything special?

In one of the private games I play in, there is now a double board bomb pot every hour on the hour. Stakes are 2/5 PLO, and the mandatory preflop bet is $20.

When one of the players proposed this recently, there was nobody who objected—maybe because of peer pressure?—so I don’t have any specific advice. I didn’t object, just to be agreeable, since I want to be invited back to a pretty soft and big game.

Since I’ve won 50% of the bomb pots I’ve entered so far in that game, you’d think that I’d like them. I do not like them. My current absurd win rate is not sustainable. It’s just random.

People like these gimmicks, I think, either because they’ve seen it on TV, or they are stuck and hoping to get even quick, or they don’t really like poker and prefer degenerate gambling.

With about $160 in the pot on the flop, eight ways, PLO, and two boards, there are 38 cards in play on the flop.

So someone almost always catches a big hand and makes a huge flop bet, to protect against the other 7 sets of 4 cards catching. That big flop bet usually ends the hand. If it does go to the turn, 2-3 players almost always get it in there... No river decisions.

Then they debate whether to run it twice... on a double board. Four more cards.

I enjoy playing thinking poker, trying to practice my OK but not great skills. I’m trying to improve. But there is nothing particularly thoughtful or skillful about these bomb pots. If there is any winning strategy, I would say that it consists of (a) folding 90% of flops you don’t absolutely smash, and (b) when you do smash it, trying to figure out the largest bet that a second best hand will call. There are fewer opportunities to bluff than ordinary hands.

My guess is that given the randomness of the outcomes, over time the money swings from these bomb pots will even out. Maybe some of the worse players (who tend to continue way too deep into hands) will be net losers. But it ought to be a wash over the course of the year, and therefore to me kind of a waste of time. Would rather deal another regular hand.

/killjoy

Last edited:
In one of the private games I play in, there is now a double board bomb pot every hour on the hour. Stakes are 2/5 PLO, and the mandatory preflop bet is $20.

When one of the players proposed this recently, there was nobody who objected—maybe because of peer pressure?—so I don’t have any specific advice. I didn’t object, just to be agreeable, since I want to be invited back to a pretty soft and big game.

Since I’ve won 50% of the bomb pots I’ve entered there so far in that game, you would think I’d like them. I do not like them. My current absurd win rate is not sustainable. It’s just random.

People like these gimmicks, I think, either because they’ve seen it on TV, or they are stuck and hoping to get even quick, or they don’t really like poker and prefer degenerate gambling.

With about $160 in the pot on the flop, eight ways, PLO, and two boards, there are 38 cards in play on the flop.

So someone almost always catches a big hand and makes a huge flop bet, to protect against the other 7 sets of 4 cards catching. That big flop bet usually ends the hand. If it does go to the turn, 2-3 players almost always get it in there... No river decisions.

I enjoy playing thinking poker, trying to practice my OK but not great skills. I’m trying to improve. But there is nothing particularly thoughtful or skillful about these bomb pots. If there is any winning strategy, I would say that it consists of (a) folding 90% of flops you don’t absolutely smash, and (b) when you do smash it, trying to figure out the largest bet that a second best hand will call. There are fewer opportunities to bluff than ordinary hands.

My guess is that given the randomness of the outcomes, over time the money swings from these bomb pots will even out. Maybe some of the worse players (who tend to continue way too deep into hands) will be net losers. But it ought to be a wash over the course of the year, and therefore to me kind of a waste of time. Would rather deal another regular hand.

/killjoy
4BB is pretty big for a bomb pot. I usually see 3BB as more of a standard. In general though I agree - they can be game killers. If everyone's shallow it's often a 3 way all in on the flop. If everyone's deep it can really cripple a huge stack.

My game plays moderately agressive...not crazy...and we've had several occurances of bomb pots getting north of 1000 BBs. And a few around 2000 BBs.

There still is skill involved. But it's much more gambly (which is why I think it's so popular).

A few of the 1/1 games I play in do $5 bomb pots, which I always thought was a lot but most people seem okay with it. I do a 3BB bomb pot in my .25/.50 home game.

A few of the 1/1 games I play in do $5 bomb pots, which I always thought was a lot but most people seem okay with it. I do a 3BB bomb pot in my .25/.50 home game.
4BB is pretty big for a bomb pot. I usually see 3BB as more of a standard. In general though I agree - they can be game killers. If everyone's shallow it's often a 3 way all in on the flop. If everyone's deep it can really cripple a huge stack.

My game plays moderately agressive...not crazy...and we've had several occurances of bomb pots getting north of 1000 BBs. And a few around 2000 BBs.

There still is skill involved. But it's much more gambly (which is why I think it's so popular).
I would describe my group as a tight degenerate group. I like the idea of it being 3Bb. When I introduce it I’ll ask to see what ppl think would make the most interesting pot.

My group rarely bases their bets off the size of the pot, and it plays more like a limit game when it comes to bet/calling.

Another awesome idea, I actually dealt out some double board hold ‘em hands with my daughter earlier to practice. Honestly didn’t seem very hard. I’m not an Omaha guy but even I could decipher the hands quick enough to make playing double board worth while.

Have a feeling that the bomb pots gonna play more like a lottery, everyone buys a ticket, and checks at the end to see if they scoop the pot.

So how high were those pots like for your 0.25/0.50 home game with the 3BB bomb pots? And how many players in the game typically?

So how high were those pots like for your 0.25/0.50 home game with the 3BB bomb pots? And how many players in the game typically?
Probably $25ish. We usually only have 6-8 players so the bomb pot starts with $9-$12. Since we usually play single board, a half pot bet will usually get most people out if they didn’t catch a piece of the flop. Sometimes you get one caller to the turn, and occasionally a showdown, in which case the pot may be $60ish.

Current version we are doing is $2 double board bombpot anytime the flop is 3-suited. Also I give every player a D10 when they buy in. They can roll it anytime the button is on them. Die is multiplier of the BB (so our ,25/,50 game would have a max bombpot ante of $5). But once they roll the die, it is surrendered. Can’t get another for the night.

Since I’ve won 50% of the bomb pots I’ve entered so far in that game, you’d think that I’d like them. I do not like them. My current absurd win rate is not sustainable. It’s just random.

/killjoy

I guess the other strategic play you might make on the flop in a bloated bomb pot is to bluff from late positions with all your big draws. But probably only when it checks around to hero in the button or cutoff. Bluffing from earlier positions into so many other hands is owning yourself most of the time.

We have been using bomb pots at our game for quite some time.

Any time any hand is won by a full house or better with that hand being shown, the next hand is a bomb pot with the button not moving for the bomb pot hand. Everyone antes $2 for the bomb pot, and if the bomb pot hand is won with a full house or better then the resulting bomb pot is $3 ante. We play with a few pineapple variants, so there have been a few occasions where the ante has gotten up to $5 per person with the successive bomb pots.

You could always just suggest they try a hand of it, and if anyone starts to complain you go old school wild west on them by pulling out your revolver, opening the cylinder and spinning it, close it and place the gun on the table, so while saying nothing. Then repeat, in a soft but insistent voice, that we're playing a bomb pot.

Just a thought on how to introduce them.

Or forget about bomb pots and just play poker.

We usually do 3BB bomb pot when we are playing one bomb pot per orbit bcos, 5BB will make very limited playable play after flop as people will be too short-stack compared to the pot size

We will do a round of 5BB bomb pot at the end of the session as everyone are going to be much deeper in stake and we also have to set a max capped stack bcos a couple will be sitting at 1k-2k BB deep at that point

What does the rock look like? Anything special?
1687671285955.png

$2 rock and he can hold a chip in each arm.

We do a $5 bomb pot, which is 10xbb, every time the flop is a single suit. I guess we are degenerates. Lol. I don't think 3bb would fly.

We do a $5 bomb pot, which is 10xbb, every time the flop is a single suit. I guess we are degenerates. Lol. I don't think 3bb would fly.

Degenerates? Psshhh....

We play .25/.50 $100 max and roll a pair of dice to determine the bomb pot ante. The sum of the two dice X$1 (max of $12) is the ante for that hand. ;)

We play .25/.50,100max buy. We do match half the big stack until 10pm then match the stack after that. The boys ended up playing .25/.50 with a $5 utg straddle from ab 10:15 until 2:30 when the game broke.
Degenerates? Psshhh....

We play .25/.50 $100 max and roll a pair of dice to determine the bomb pot ante. The sum of the two dice X$1 (max of $12) is the ante for that hand. ;)
That's a good idea

Just ran the game last night. We ended up playing 3 bomb pots for 3Bb. I decided to have a bomb pot when the flop ran out one suit. The players liked it because then they knew it was coming and got a little bit of a roar as we spread out the flop.

I ended up doing a double board, even the newer people liked the double board as it kind of added some flare to the game.

Biggest pot of the night was only about $12. Still consider it a success and thanks again for all the posts on here, I’d love to be a guest in your home games.

Bomb pots are really fun and a great gateway into more degen games lol

I introduced NLHE double board bomb pots into my group a few years ago and they really caught on. You can later add in pineapple or PLO double board bomp pots to spice things up even more.

We use a bomb pot button and a dealer button. Bomb pot button only moves after a bomb pot and moves counter clockwise. When the bomb pot button and the dealer button line up, a bomb pot is dealt. In our 0.25/0.50 game the bomb pot is $2 per person. Below are the various bomb pots I've gotten and use in our game.

a7UlZbeh.jpg

You could also do a timed bomb pot every half hour or hour or any other way you want. The idea that bomb pots coming out when a certain condition is met like how you did with all suits is a great idea and adds more fun to the game as people cheer and hope for/against that last suited card.

We always prefered double board bomb pots due to the ability to split and how difficult it should be to scoop a bomb pot. Bomb pots can also get pretty spicy and wild which is good or bad depending on how you and your poker crew view it. For us, hearing the words "rebuy" right after a bomb pot is always exciting.

IY08ZaJh.jpg

mo8pEw1h.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom