List of Split-Pot Games to Play as Limit (1 Viewer)

I had fun playing some of the circus stuff at SQM. But I realized that these games (especially super stud variants and 5 and 6 hole card card flop games) are just a way to bloat pots, make nobody fold pre, and create big swings. They also take a long time to deal, and a long time to play on a per hand basis. That's fine and dandy sometimes, but to me, it's almost like trying to create wild card games without wild cards. I wouldn't want to do it all that often. I have a feeling that if most of us understood correct strategy for these games, then much like Big O, people should really just be nut peddling more often than not.

Just my 2 cents on some of the goofier games.

I had fun playing some of the circus stuff at SQM. But I realized that these games (especially super stud variants and 5 and 6 hole card card flop games) are just a way to bloat pots, make nobody fold pre, and create big swings. They also take a long time to deal, and a long time to play on a per hand basis. That's fine and dandy sometimes, but to me, it's almost like trying to create wild card games without wild cards. I wouldn't want to do it all that often. I have a feeling that if most of us understood correct strategy for these games, then much like Big O, people should really just be nut peddling more often than not.

Just my 2 cents on some of the goofier games.
I've long said that about circus games. I once left the table to take a nap. I slept for about an hour. I missed ONE orbit.

I don't mind circus games, but in the end, I believe them to be less fun than holdem. At least I can fold in holdem, and 2 minutes later I'm back in a hand - which I may also be folding, but at least I'm making a decision again.

Now Pineapple variants, 4-5 card Omaha (high only), PLO8, or 2x board Omaha (4-card)... those were the original "little circus" games from the Shootout at the Post. I really enjoyed those as well, but anymore, there are no one-ring circus tables.

Sadly, the only meet-up I was ever profitable at over the weekend was the Grand Divide, which was all big circus games. Many games which I played blind, because I truly believe that the wild variance and luck triumphs over skill.

I've long said that about circus games. I once left the table to take a nap. I slept for about an hour. I missed ONE orbit.

I don't mind circus games, but in the end, I believe them to be less fun than holdem. At least I can fold in holdem, and 2 minutes later I'm back in a hand - which I may also be folding, but at least I'm making a decision again.

Now Pineapple variants, 4-5 card Omaha (high only), PLO8, or 2x board Omaha (4-card)... those were the original "little circus" games from the Shootout at the Post. I really enjoyed those as well, but anymore, there are no one-ring circus tables.

Sadly, the only meet-up I was ever profitable at over the weekend was the Grand Divide, which was all big circus games. Many games which I played blind, because I truly believe that the wild variance and luck triumphs over skill.
Take Route66 as an example. The equities just run so close, that unless your hand has almost no nut potential, I'm not sure how you fold pre. Since the turn is 2 cards, if you have any nut potential on the flop, I'm not sure how you fold there either getting at worst 2 to 1 in PL. This is mitigated a bit by hi/lo.

Don't even get me started on the total mess that is Scarney. Or Scrotum8. At least I'll still play Scrotum8, but I straight up will not play Scarney again even though I won money in it.

I did like Drawmaha and Double Board. I feel like you can definitely fold a good bit in those games. But they still take a long time to play. And while I like SOHE, that game takes FOREVER.

In games where nobody ever folds pre, you may as well charge an ante. Then deal hole cards and the flop at the same time. It would speed the game considerably.

Charge a big blind ante to make it even faster.

I think the best utility of circus games is when you are short handed. Holdem really gets clunky when you are 4 or 5 handed. So having many playable hands in these other games balances that out nicely IMO. Also makes the hands less slow than with a full table.

I think the best utility of circus games is when you are short handed. Holdem really gets clunky when you are 4 or 5 handed. So having many playable hands in these other games balances that out nicely IMO. Also makes the hands less slow than with a full table.
Very much disagree that HE gets clunky short handed. That's when you actually open up and get into more marginal situations.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom