How do you keep points during a season? (1 Viewer)

Huskerchipper

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Curious how other people who host weekly or monthly tournaments distribute points during a season? I have done this before years ago but its been a long time. My players are requesting I do it again. So how do you distribute points and how much?

I use the tournament director software to keep track of my season and have configured it to use Dr Neau formula.

I use the tournament director, and export the results. I then use my spreadsheet and plug and play.

1706214249814.png

1706214659834.png

And the formulas are:
(Score column) =(ROUND(LOG(($F$3+5)/A8,10)*100,0)*15)*2
(Total Score column) =+B8+(100*E8)

You can figure out the what the cell values are based on the spreadsheet posted.

It's complex, but it works well for me.

Attachments

• 1706214524653.png
    1706214524653.png
    64.9 KB · Views: 22
One fish two fish red fish blue fish. Just kidding. I keep it simple, one point for each place of survival then added points for 3rd(1), 2nd(2), and 1st(3). So if you have 12 players 1st gets 12 plus 3 or 15 for that tournament, 2nd 11 plus 2, third 10 plus 1, on down.

For tracking points across the season, I built out a sheet that lists all 16 games in the season, and I enter everyone's earned points under each date and then sort them into ranks by total points. After each game, I update it and print out a new one to post at the club. Asterisks and special formatting indicate who has qualified for the final and who is not participating (by choice or because it's no longer possible to make 8 total games).

As you can see here, I'm in second place as of last game, which is wildly unacceptable, but I plan to fix that on 2/4.

1706216743803.png

As to how I calculate points for each tourney, the formula is this:

1706216875943.png

I inherited this formula from the previous host. Between seasons, I considered how I might modify it, but TBH it's a good formula for our purposes. Grants a solid point advantage to top performers, but it's a linear gain that starts at 50 + N, so it rewards participation significantly even for players who don't go far in a tourney.

These points end up being the proportions I use to give people their starting stacks in the final event. Last year I did 100 chips per point. May do 50 or even 20 this year; I'm still thinking about it. But that's how it all works.

I contend that my simple method will yield the same results as all of these more complex computations. Prove me wrong.

I contend that my simple method will yield the same results as all of these more complex computations. Prove me wrong.
it all depends on how your final game goes. If you just give a set amount more chips per position, yes. If points = chips, no.

In my case, total points = total chips (rounded up to the nearest 25).

It still works out if points equal chips on the final game. Believe me. I was a data analyst for 30 years and had a very solid reputation.

s long as you aggregate chip amounts by series points it will work out the same. Premier poker league with an entry fee of 125k per player did it this way also. For our penny ante stakes compared to that I think I’m all good. Just using logic and numbers, I know you to be very intelligent too, was not trying to insult anyone. You do you, sorry for any offense.

One fish two fish red fish blue fish. Just kidding. I keep it simple, one point for each place of survival then added points for 3rd(1), 2nd(2), and 1st(3). So if you have 12 players 1st gets 12 plus 3 or 15 for that tournament, 2nd 11 plus 2, third 10 plus 1, on down.
You're probably right that after a year long season, simple may well yield similar results to a more complicated formula. I think my biggest gripe with this method is guy who busts out 4th gets 4 times as many points as guy who busts out first. Did he really play 4 times better if he finished 12th out of 15?

s long as you aggregate chip amounts by series points it will work out the same. Premier poker league with an entry fee of 125k per player did it this way also. For our penny ante stakes compared to that I think I’m all good. Just using logic and numbers, I know you to be very intelligent too, was not trying to insult anyone. You do you, sorry for any offense.
I didn’t take it as in an insult. I was just curious. No offense taken in any way from me.

If the best professional poker players in the world, putting up 125k to play in a league format, are willing to use a points system as simple as this, my $50 a month league should be fine with it also. My game is filled with IT people and a couple math whizzes who have no issue with my points system, and I don’t need calculus to figure it out.

Yep, the simple approach worked for 20 years in my home game. One point to everyone for participation; one point for every player you outlast.

So with a ten man table, first guy out gets one point; next guy out gets two; etc.. Winner gets ten.

For tracking points across the season, I built out a sheet that lists all 16 games in the season, and I enter everyone's earned points under each date and then sort them into ranks by total points. After each game, I update it and print out a new one to post at the club. Asterisks and special formatting indicate who has qualified for the final and who is not participating (by choice or because it's no longer possible to make 8 total games).

As you can see here, I'm in second place as of last game, which is wildly unacceptable, but I plan to fix that on 2/4.

View attachment 1261577

As to how I calculate points for each tourney, the formula is this:

View attachment 1261578

I inherited this formula from the previous host. Between seasons, I considered how I might modify it, but TBH it's a good formula for our purposes. Grants a solid point advantage to top performers, but it's a linear gain that starts at 50 + N, so it rewards participation significantly even for players who don't go far in a tourney.

These points end up being the proportions I use to give people their starting stacks in the final event. Last year I did 100 chips per point. May do 50 or even 20 this year; I'm still thinking about it. But that's how it all works.
Finally took a little time to read some of the other posts here. My first reaction to your scoring system? Missing a week is massively punished. Basically your leader is getting a participation trophy just for showing up. He's clearly not your best player. The qualifying player with the best overall performance is in 5th place, all because he missed two weeks. If he had just shown up, gone all-in on the first hand, and lost in those other two tournaments, he would have a sizeable lead on Henry. Due to two additional last place finishes.

I mean, this is fine if it's what you've intended. But I just don't understand the 50 point bonus just for showing up. 16 tournaments in a year is a lot of tournaments. People do have lives away from poker and it seems silly to punish them this severely just for missing a couple of weeks.

Finally took a little time to read some of the other posts here. My first reaction to your scoring system? Missing a week is massively punished. Basically your leader is getting a participation trophy just for showing up. He's clearly not your best player. The qualifying player with the best overall performance is in 5th place, all because he missed two weeks. If he had just shown up, gone all-in on the first hand, and lost in those other two tournaments, he would have a sizeable lead on Henry. Due to two additional last place finishes.

I mean, this is fine if it's what you've intended. But I just don't understand the 50 point bonus just for showing up. 16 tournaments in a year is a lot of tournaments. People do have lives away from poker and it seems silly to punish them this severely just for missing a couple of weeks.
It's a low buy-in game at a social club, so everything is oriented around participation. Not just playing consistently, but bonuses for bringing food and helping run things. It's not everyone's cup of tea, but it works for this group.

We have a similar points system. Two exceptions:
  1. Regardless of field size, first 3 players eliminated all receive 3 points. 4th player eliminated receives 4 and so on.
  2. In the money players receive ‘bonus’ points. Depending on field size, we pay anywhere from 3 to 5 spots. Example, if 4 spots pay, bonus points are awarded as:
    • 1st place: 4 bonus points
    • 2nd place: 3 points
    • 3rd place: 2 points
    • 4th place: 1 point
In an 18 player field, 1st place would earn 18 + 4, for a total of 22 points.

For total season points, we drop the lowest score. This helps lower the feeling of being at a disadvantage if you miss a game.

We use a system that awards points to the top 8 finishers, with extra points to players who cash, as follows:

1st Place: (10 x Number of Buy-Ins) + (1 point for each $ of prize money won)
2nd Place: (8 x Number of Buy-Ins) + (1 point for each $ of prize money won)
3rd Place: (6 x Number of Buy-Ins) + (1 point for each $ of prize money won)
4th Place: (5 x Number of Buy-Ins) + (1 point for each $ of prize money won, if any)
8th Place: (1 x Number of Buy-Ins) + (1 point for each $ of prize money won, if any)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom