Difficulty level of diy poker table? (1 Viewer)

@ChipTalker @Al Azouri = Good table builders

Honestly this table is incredible and far exceeded my expectations, not that I didn't have faith in you guys.
Also I'm +$600 on this table so far. :wtf:
@GetUrShineBox

Runner runner kings to backdoor quads and flopping the nut flush vs. second nut flush with do that for you... who was the dealer on those hands?!

Good player.

I built my own tabletop, rails and ordered and installed a custom cloth. I made it for 8 players as this is the best fit for a good home game. With 82 x 42 tables, everything is within reach, and enough arm room for each player. The only change I would make after the fact, is to move the cup holders into the rail, instead of of on the racetrack. I also incorparated undertable snack slide pull outs to keep stuff off the table. With the bowls full of snacks, they can be shut and pulled oped when a bite is needed.
The only thing that I did not make was the table support, which was from an old store bought poker table. The other option I entertained was using pedastal table legs, one for each end. I have a dedicated poker room, so it stays put, which makes it much easier than needing folding legs, etc.
It's nice to have the proper tools to make it easier. Router/circle jig, jigaw, stapler, and circular saw Difficulty level - 5
did you custom make the drawer slides for your table? They don't interfere with your cup holders? Really cool idea

It's not super tough to do, but there is a learning curve. Cutting and shaping the plywood isn't difficult, you can do that easily with a jigsaw. The tough part is the upholstery. Stretching the vinyl and getting the cloth right, finding the correct foam etc, it's all doable, but difficult. The table legs are easy enough, and that's about it. Lots of resources online, I say go for it!

Definitely go for it. I am moderately handy and have very basic power tools and have built two tables. All I did was read a bunch of stuff here on the forum, watched a few YouTube videos and ordered the speed cloth and foam online. My table is an octagon shape built using a circular saw, a hole saw for the cup holders, and a hand held router to give the edges a nice bevel. I didn’t want to mess with foam and vinyl for the rail so I just stained and sealed the wood. It was a really fun project and it came out way better than I thought it would.

I'm not a fan of their separated railing pads. Just my two cents.
Curious what don’t u like about it? For me it was the aesthetics but when I sitting at the table - it was quite comfortable. Your own padded area and easy to square up the table for players.

Curious what don’t u like about it? For me it was the aesthetics but when I sitting at the table - it was quite comfortable. Your own padded area and easy to square up the table for players.
Those individual pads just look weird to me, but I wouldn't knock anyone for buying one. Like everything in life, it's all a matter of preference. Reminds of the Marvel character Ben Grim ("Thing").
ben grim.png

Last edited:
They are not too difficult but upholstering the padded rail is by far the hardest part.

I've made two........first with jigsaw/circular saw and hand stapler.........second with router/circular saw and air stapler. Router and air stapler make the job much easier!!

Mine sits on top of an basic Ikea table and comes apart completely, rather than folds, so can be put away

vfSsR9C.png

Whether or not it looks shite isn't really for me to say but I think it's brilliant :D

lUOBLCM.jpg

(Full build details in my sig)
Nice set up. I'm starting to purchase the materials to remove my racetrack, thus removing the cup holders from the table top.
I'm wondering if your cup holders under table get in the way, or do they slide under when not in use.

did you custom make the drawer slides for your table? They don't interfere with your cup holders? Really cool idea
Thanks. Yes they were made custom by me. I used 8" long side sliders, attached to each side of the drawer, which is L shaped so the top of the L can be screwed under the table. I made the sides out of 3/4" MDF on the sides, routered a 1/4" gap to slide the bottom section and glue it to the sides, them brad nailed a front plate out of the same material and added a drawer pull knob. The front is contoured top follow the shape of the table. I notched the 1/4"mdf so it could be bent to the contour. My players love the snack trays, so no bowls are on the table proper. A regular paper bowl, or a deep plastic bowl (Dollarama) will fit in the tray.
The tray can slide under the cup holder even with the bowl and snacks in the bowl. I didn't take any pics of the snack trays prior to them being attached to the underside of the table.

Thanks. Yes they were made custom by me. I used 8" long side sliders, attached to each side of the drawer, which is L shaped so the top of the L can be screwed under the table. I made the sides out of 3/4" MDF on the sides, routered a 1/4" gap to slide the bottom section and glue it to the sides, them brad nailed a front plate out of the same material and added a drawer pull knob. The front is contoured top follow the shape of the table. I notched the 1/4"mdf so it could be bent to the contour. My players love the snack trays, so no bowls are on the table proper. A regular paper bowl, or a deep plastic bowl (Dollarama) will fit in the tray.
The tray can slide under the cup holder even with the bowl and snacks in the bowl. I didn't take any pics of the snack trays prior to them being attached to the underside of the table.
Awesome idea! Nobody wants crumbs on the table!!

Nice set up. I'm starting to purchase the materials to remove my racetrack, thus removing the cup holders from the table top.
I'm wondering if your cup holders under table get in the way, or do they slide under when not in use.

When playing everyone usually has drink of some sort so they are always used.

They are at the side so don't get in the way and also help delineate seating. Pet hate of mine is feeling crowded at a poker table so when it came to building my own I went for 8 (max) clearly marked seats - with the cup holders pretty much forcing players to not encroach.

I didn't like the idea of them in the middle - then they definitely would be in the way imo, jabbing into my stomach. It's not as though you have to move to pick up a drink with them to one side.

hAYtJYt.png

I can just take them off but there's no reason to unless I'm completely collapsing the table (which I can do).

hoOHt73.png
9VfOOIT.png
fbQZ4A4.png

They're also small enough, and at such a height, as to not bash into thighs when getting up/sitting down.

I do have some bigger ones that are more like side-tables than cup holders but I haven't used them yet as I think they would get in the way a bit.

1IBee2d.png
1wipVLL.png

When playing everyone usually has drink of some sort so they are always used.

They are at the side so don't get in the way and also help delineate seating. Pet hate of mine is feeling crowded at a poker table so when it came to building my own I went for 8 (max) clearly marked seats - with the cup holders pretty much forcing players to not encroach.

I didn't like the idea of them in the middle - then they definitely would be in the way imo, jabbing into my stomach. It's not as though you have to move to pick up a drink with them to one side.

hAYtJYt.png

I can just take them off but there's no reason to unless I'm completely collapsing the table (which I can do).

hoOHt73.png
9VfOOIT.png
fbQZ4A4.png

They're also small enough, and at such a height, as to not bash into thighs when getting up/sitting down.

I do have some bigger ones that are more like side-tables than cup holders but I haven't used them yet as I think they would get in the way a bit.

1IBee2d.png
1wipVLL.png
What type of wood did you use for the cup holders.

I wanted to minimize the space my poker table took up. My finished area in the basement is not that big, and if I wasn't hosting a game the table just took up too much room.

I didn't make a foldaway table, but something similar. I built the rail as usual, but the playing surface is just speed cloth glued to foam. The whole thing is very lightweight, and just sits on top of my old dining room table. When it's not in use, I hang it on the wall, and remove the two inserts to the dining table, leaving me with a lot more space

View attachment 1205004
Great idea! How sturdy is it for playing? Have you noticed any warping due to the weight of people resting their arms?

I wanted to minimize the space my poker table took up. My finished area in the basement is not that big, and if I wasn't hosting a game the table just took up too much room.

I didn't make a foldaway table, but something similar. I built the rail as usual, but the playing surface is just speed cloth glued to foam. The whole thing is very lightweight, and just sits on top of my old dining room table. When it's not in use, I hang it on the wall, and remove the two inserts to the dining table, leaving me with a lot more space

View attachment 1205004
When you got the speed cloth, did it feel really plastic like? Almost like tarp material?

Great idea! How sturdy is it for playing? Have you noticed any warping due to the weight of people resting their arms?

No issue with warping or bending due to weight. I made the rail extra wide, so it's mostly in contact with the table underneath, only over hangs by maybe an inch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom