Difficulty level of diy poker table? (1 Viewer)

DNV

Sitting Out
Reaction score
Okay. on a scale of 1-10, how hard is it to build a poker table? Specifically the 10 person one with the plans online. I’m trying to convince my grandpa to help me build one but he doesn’t think it’ll be as simple as the plans make it out to be. I took a shop class in high school but other than that I have very minimal woodworking skills. However, I really want a nice poker table and i’d like to build my own.

I am building one right now and by me I mean @Al Azouri is the mastermind and I just do what I am told. I am a little handy but not super refined. My take in going through this process is that you really need to start with the right tools especially if you are not super skilled. Al has a router and much better table/miter saws than I have and I do not think it would come out as good without that equipment for construction noob. If we do another I would not attempt myself with that stuff.

Its very rewarding and very doable! But people on here make it look easier than it is. Some people do it to save money but dont have the tools or space and it becomes a burden; make sure you have somewhere you can store it during the build.

If you take your time and plan carefully then the process is fairly straightforward and playing on a table you built is the reward for any pain and frustration along the way.

I don't have the room, or the larger workshop tools, to do the wood part so got mine CNCed from plans and cut files I produced. Apart from that it was all by my own hand - a hand that has very limited practical experience of this type of thing.

As a fallback and sounding board this forum is a real help so just ask about anything you're not sure on and someone will be sure to help or give advice or qualified opinion. I did this from the start for all aspects and while I didn't have any major changes to my original plans there were certainly some tweaks. I'm glad I joined PCF for this alone ( ... and the custom chips and ChanMan cloth and Desjgn cards and ... :D )

Accurate plans and the right materials and you're most of the way there - the rest is just time and patience.

Enjoy - when you first sit down to play on the table you built ... oh boy :cool

I built a table once out of a single piece of 4x8 mdf and using a jigsaw and circular saw. Wasn’t hard at all and did it in a day. Upholstery hides a lot.
I did not use one piece vinyl for the rails, and it wasn’t a big deal at all. Just folded edges and stapled and it looks professional.

If I did it again I would not use mdf but instead a quality plywood.

Reactions: DNV
Okay. on a scale of 1-10, how hard is it to build a poker table? Specifically the 10 person one with the plans online. I’m trying to convince my grandpa to help me build one but he doesn’t think it’ll be as simple as the plans make it out to be. I took a shop class in high school but other than that I have very minimal woodworking skills. However, I really want a nice poker table and i’d like to build my own.

The tabletop is simple. Upholstering the rail is the only difficult part, and even then not that bad. Read a few different plans, watch a few YouTube videos, and I think about anybody can put together a basic table that looks pretty good.

I'd say a 4 for a basic table.
7-8 if you want a refined piece of furniture.

I am far from handy but I have made two tables now. Having good tools is a big help but if you just have a basic jigsaw, you can get all the cuts down yourself if you take your time.

Measure twice, cut once.

As others have said, feel free to ask heaps of questions and take your time.

My problem is storage.

Would there be anyway to make a fold away top, with upholstered ring, without it looking utterly cheap/shite?

Has anyone here ever made a foldaway top?

My problem is storage.

Would there be anyway to make a fold away top, with upholstered ring, without it looking utterly cheap/shite?

Mine sits on top of an basic Ikea table and comes apart completely, rather than folds, so can be put away

vfSsR9C.png

Whether or not it looks shite isn't really for me to say but I think it's brilliant :D

lUOBLCM.jpg

(Full build details in my sig)

Mine sits on top of an basic Ikea table and comes apart completely, rather than folds, so can be put away

vfSsR9C.png

Whether or not it looks shite isn't really for me to say but I think it's brilliant :D

lUOBLCM.jpg

(Full build details in my sig)
That looks awesome, and hadn’t even considered something like this. Think I might even give this a shot…

Here’s a tip, if you decide to build your own, you probably won’t use the entire sheet of plywood unless you want a huge table. You can have your local big box store cut you plywood down to the exact size you would otherwise have to cut yourself. They have those large cross cut saws and cut both pieces exactly the same (if you’re doing a rail). This will cut down on the size of your plywood. Make it a bit more manageable and save you the time. My table is 88”x44” and I had zero wood working experience and found the process rewarding. My advice for about $500 you can have a very nice table and enjoy boasting about how you built it yourself.

So I’m not handy with tools. I recruited a friend of mine to help. I found a diy website that took you through the process with pictures. I spent $700 in supplies and it took 4 weeks, but I think it came out well. There are flaws if you look close enough, but it’s nice to have a good table to play on.

IMG_1453.jpeg

Here’s a tip, if you decide to build your own, you probably won’t use the entire sheet of plywood unless you want a huge table. You can have your local big box store cut you plywood down to the exact size you would otherwise have to cut yourself. They have those large cross cut saws and cut both pieces exactly the same (if you’re doing a rail). This will cut down on the size of your plywood. Make it a bit more manageable and save you the time. My table is 88”x44” and I had zero wood working experience and found the process rewarding. My advice for about $500 you can have a very nice table and enjoy boasting about how you built it yourself.
Had a look at your thread, and that looks quite technical!! It shows it can be done though. I might plan something a touch simpler, taking inspiration from your build. Props to you.

My problem is storage.

I wanted to minimize the space my poker table took up. My finished area in the basement is not that big, and if I wasn't hosting a game the table just took up too much room.

I didn't make a foldaway table, but something similar. I built the rail as usual, but the playing surface is just speed cloth glued to foam. The whole thing is very lightweight, and just sits on top of my old dining room table. When it's not in use, I hang it on the wall, and remove the two inserts to the dining table, leaving me with a lot more space

IMG_20210321_110617.jpg

To answer the OPs question, yes you can do it.

The last thing I'd consider myself is "handy", when it comes to building/repairs/tools etc.

But I've built 3 tables, one with a racetrack, one without, and the "half table " above.

All I used was a drill, and a jigsaw, and a hand stapler for the upholstery

We finished my first table last week and used the table 1 time so far and it was a great success. Thanks to @Al Azouri for being the architect and builder. I assisted and basically just did what he told me to do as he did his own table a few years back. Also thanks to @Irish for some great posts here on PCF that helped and also answering some questions. We took it slow so somewhere around 25hrs over a few different days. We will be doing a twin of this table in the near future so stay tuned. I love the way it looks and it seemed to play great for it's maiden game. We will play a few more games on it and see if we want to make any tweaks for the next one. @GetUrShineBox @seyff45 @Neverfolds @slogger @jimgunz

20231010_012055.jpg

We finished my first table last week and used the table 1 time so far and it was a great success. Thanks to @Al Azouri for being the architect and builder. I assisted and basically just did what he told me to do as he did his own table a few years back. Also thanks to @Irish for some great posts here on PCF that helped and also answering some questions. We took it slow so somewhere around 25hrs over a few different days. We will be doing a twin of this table in the near future so stay tuned. I love the way it looks and it seemed to play great for it's maiden game. We will play a few more games on it and see if we want to make any tweaks for the next one. @GetUrShineBox @seyff45 @Neverfolds @slogger @jimgunz

View attachment 1210690
@ChipTalker @Al Azouri = Good table builders

Honestly this table is incredible and far exceeded my expectations, not that I didn't have faith in you guys.
Also I'm +$600 on this table so far. :wtf:

How does everyone feel about the Triton tables? For 1600 - I like the portability on wheels and thick rail pads.

A buddy of ours just won one free in a group he has been playing with. He only hosts like 2 times per year so I have not seen it yet. He said the surface is super slick but the build is quality. My 2cents is that 1600 is a lot for that table but kind of the only game in town for quality if you need to fold it. the rest of the folders are very cheaply made from what I have seen.

A buddy of ours just got won one free in a group he has been playing with. He only hosts like 2 times per year so I have not seen it yet. He said the surface is super slick but the build is quality. My 2cents is that 1600 is a lot for that table but kind of the only game in town for quality if you need to fold it. the rest of the folders are very cheaply made from what I have seen.
Yeah I recently played a home game and the owner is pretty balling owns his own company so he’s definitely willing to spend. No rake just tip the dealer. I was impressed with the thickness of the pads and feels very solid. That crocodile like texture was banging too lol.

And I believe it is 8ft if that matters to you. Even if you spruced up a barrington for much less you still only get 7ft. Like for my game 8ft is a must ...

I built my own tabletop, rails and ordered and installed a custom cloth. I made it for 8 players as this is the best fit for a good home game. With 82 x 42 tables, everything is within reach, and enough arm room for each player. The only change I would make after the fact, is to move the cup holders into the rail, instead of of on the racetrack. I also incorparated undertable snack slide pull outs to keep stuff off the table. With the bowls full of snacks, they can be shut and pulled oped when a bite is needed.
The only thing that I did not make was the table support, which was from an old store bought poker table. The other option I entertained was using pedastal table legs, one for each end. I have a dedicated poker room, so it stays put, which makes it much easier than needing folding legs, etc.
It's nice to have the proper tools to make it easier. Router/circle jig, jigaw, stapler, and circular saw Difficulty level - 5

Attachments

• Poker table 1.jpg
    Poker table 1.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 69
  • table snack.jpg
    table snack.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

View attachment 1210690
Great job, turned out beautiful. Your rail looks really nice and tidy as well with not many wrinkles, if any!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom