Copag, KEM, and Desjgn, Pros Cons? (1 Viewer)

nomadland

High Hand
Reaction score
Looking for some feedback as to the pros and cons of each if any. Have only purchased Copags over the years but would like to mix it up a little. If there are any others aside from Copag, KEM, and Desjgn that people recommend along with why, please do.

Looking for some feedback as to the pros and cons of each if any. Have only purchased Copags over the years but would like to mix it up a little. If there are any others aside from Copag, KEM, and Desjgn that people recommend along with why, please do.
I am right in the middle of my card craze man!

I've got KEMs, COPAGs, GEMACOs, BICYCLEs, and of course DESJGNs.

I have to say, for me, Desjgn cards are unreal. I've got alot of cards now, but as I replace my setups over time, I'll only buy Desjgn

The biggest reason, is ease of shuffling. That textured feel makes even the newbie shuffler okay at it. Makes the game smoother and less misdeals.

This has been my experience so far.

I also totally dislike the smell from COPAGS. Good cards, but a definite bump in quality can be felt in the Desjgn brand.

I have not yet played my KEM bridge size. So, that opinion needs to be formed yet.

Hope this helps.

I have only really used Copag, Faded Spade, and Kem.

Faded Spade were the stiffest. Overall we liked the feel of Copag and used them exclusively for many years. Only recently did I try Kem on the search of cards that didn’t crease or bend. We have two guys who can’t stop bending the cards to extreme degrees that we were burning though too many decks of Copag. The Kems felt to floppy at first but they have grown on the whole group and are way more bend resistant. The only complaint I have is that the faces (paint) are wearing off faster than Copags did for us. But for us it’s Kem on,y these days. We play bridge jumbo size.

Copags- good for the cheaper price but slippery. Top card will slide when deck is put down. I found bicycle prestige do the same.

Modianos - used to be my favorite. Good flex and just grippy enough to not be too slippery.

Desjgns- finally got a game in with a deck and loved it. Players all commented on how nice the cards were too. Now my new favorite.

KEM- haven't had a chance to use them yet but definitely on the expensive side and seem to have warping issues after a while from what I've heard.

Top card will slide when deck is put down. I found bicycle prestige do the same.
All decks essentially do this. It's because of a pocket of air between the top two cards. Just a little pressure of your finger put upon the top card will solve it easily every time.

Anyways, we use Copag for my group. We used to use Bike Prestiege Poker sized, but the faces would wear badly after a single night.

I like KEM enough, but defintley not worth the price point. Plus I hate warped cards and every deck I played with was warped.

Modianos were nice. Basically a thicker Prestiege deck with extra texture on the back.

I've definitely came around on Desjgn since I mainly didn't like the font. But after a few go rounds playing with another PCFer's group, It's definitely warming up to me. Can really see why everyone says these are the best.

In order of preference

1a - KEM - just feel right - prefer the finish to copag
1b - Copag - feel right in a different way
2 - Faded Spade 2.0 - I really like these and have been using them primarily lately. Love the size of the index and the stiffer feel.

---

Desjgn - Unfortunately I'm in the minority - perhaps because I'm using older Desjgn cards but I find them too thin, the pips are hard to read sometimes and actually the first time they lasted more than two hands at a table a couple cards ended up with big creases. YMMV and I realize a lot of people around here love them.

Kem (arrow, club, circle backs, etc.)
Copag
Desjgn
Fournier Congress
Gemaco Superflex
Gemaco Superflex "Monte Carlo"
Bicycle Prestige (older version, pink/green)*

* I've been told by a local PCFer that this setup has been discontinued. Might not be a viable option anymore.

I dig any of these setups. There are pros/cons to each, from fading, to warping, to differing thickness/stiffness/feel, etc.

Kems are my #1 favorite by feel - nothing else comes close in my opinion - but they are guaranteed to warp, which pushes them down on my regular use list. I also love Copags, but they are guaranteed to fade rather quickly. On the plus side, Copags are relatively cheap per setup, so they're easy to replace if the fading tilts you.

I have a regular rotation of pink/green Prestige, Superflex, Monte Carlo, Desjgn, Kems, Fournier Congress, and Copags in my home game arsenal. All are bridge size / jumbo index.

I'm not sure the "perfect setup of plastic playing cards" exists. We're all still on the hunt for that unicorn.

All decks essentially do this. It's because of a pocket of air between the top two cards. Just a little pressure of your finger put upon the top card will solve it easily every time.[\QUOTE]
Really? Never had this issue with Modianos nor in my limited experience with Desjgn. The latter has a grainy feel and definitely does not slide. I can't speak to other cards though.

Really? Never had this issue with Modianos nor in my limited experience with Desjgn. The latter has a grainy feel and definitely does not slide. I can't speak to other cards though.

I've seen this happen with many decks, but that's usually the issue since if the top card does it why not the rest of the deck? It's just a pocket of air that can easily break with a slight bit of pressure applied.

Bicycle Prestige (older version, pink/green)*

* I've been told by a local PCFer that this setup has been discontinued. Might not be a viable option anymore.
An Amazon vendor still sells them, but without a case:
https://www.amazon.com/Bicycle-Prestige-Playing-Cards-Pack/dp/B00BXXL002

I also love Copags, but they are guaranteed to fade rather quickly. On the plus side, Copags are relatively cheap per setup, so they're easy to replace if the fading tilts you.

I never experienced any fading on my WSOP 2016 Copags, and they've gotten plenty of use. Probably the type of felt being used. I know Bike Poker Prestiges fade very easily.

Guys is warping problem that refers to KEMs are the fact that their surface becomes rough and break glass like? You do know tat it is caused by high temperature and extreme sunlight. Do you?

The problem I have with most decks is that several of my players bend the cards to the extreme and they quickly develop permanent creases which mark the decks and kill them. Cards like Copag and Dal Negro and Bicycle usually only last two sessions before small permanent creases arise.

I finally tried KEMs and they are amazing in this regard. Completely crease resistant. Has anyone else had similar problems and found a better card? How are Dseign in that regard to creases from bending?

Looks like I have some spending to do and then I'll be able to figure out which one I like the most. Only thing I didnt like from the Desjgn's is the design of the suits. I guess I prefer the bigger bolder look when it comes to that.

After reading this thread, I had to order some Desjgn’s. I have Kem’s, Copags, and Gemco’s already and I’m a Copag fan when all factors are taken into consideration, but I’m gonna see how I like these.

The problem I have with most decks is that several of my players bend the cards to the extreme and they quickly develop permanent creases which mark the decks and kill them. Cards like Copag and Dal Negro and Bicycle usually only last two sessions before small permanent creases arise.

I finally tried KEMs and they are amazing in this regard. Completely crease resistant. Has anyone else had similar problems and found a better card? How are Dseign in that regard to creases from bending?
I did. I used Modiano but switched to Kem. I also used Cartamundi bought in good price. Recently discovered TREFL polish brand, chipper to Kem but turned down to be very durable. Their face cards do not look as good as Kem, more like Copag but they do the job well.

Have you tried Copag Ultimates? They felt significantly better than their standard line.

The Modiano Platinums just feel great. Great to shuffle. You should buy a set just to set the baseline.

If you don't mind regular indexes, Bicycle Prestige Duraflexes have a great reputation.

If you don't mind regular indexes, Bicycle Prestige Duraflexes have a great reputation.

One of my faves still. Love the individual boxes they come in too. I do find the face of the card does start to fade even after just 9-10 light uses.

Since you asked specifically about these 3....

Copag - PVC - not my favorite, I much prefer softer cellulose acetate for feel & ease of shuffling - But they are very popular due to price vs the other two.

Kem & J Design - Close enough in feel & flexibility (& cost) it's a tossup really. I'd take either. J Designs are my favorite of the two only because I like the unique pip designs. If you prefer traditional pip design Kem are the ticket. Both shuffle like warm butter. Something you really appreciate if you're the one doing the dealing all night.

One of my faves still. Love the individual boxes they come in too. I do find the face of the card does start to fade even after just 9-10 light uses.
Oh, dear. Thanks for the feedback.

I need a 2 deck set to last about 4 sessions of 5 hour's use for it to be practical. Not too many cards can handle that. Fading is my number 1 issue nowadays.

KEM gets a nod for me because they’re made from cellulose acetate vs PVC... I’ve only used KEM for the past 4 years and I’ve never had a deck that bowed/warped either...
True... I never understood that KEMs have such bad rap among PCF members.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom