Retirement in Texas (Corpus Christi, Houston, other)? Pros and Cons? (1 Viewer)

1682436308963.png

Excellent reading here!

Eleven years ago, when we were deciding where to retire, we drove south from Denver for a day or two, and then turned right. It never occurred to us that we could have turned left...:cool
If you were driving south from Denver and turned right, you would have ended up in California. Just sayin', Mr. Time Zone Man. LOL.

Im with @grebe and sad. Stay in VA during summer and be a snowbird and spend winter somewhere warmer
Thanks! We contemplated that, but decided that we really need to be closer to our parents, in CO, as they get older; while also avoiding CO weather. They live near Durango CO, which is STUPID expensive, and unreliable, to fly in and out of. We basically fly into Albuquerque and drive 4 hours, as opposed to flying into Durango.

Last edited:
Just remember Fresh Water is life...

Don't go by property taxes or State taxes, it is the same wherever you live..... They get the money one way or another....... as one user stated 20K taxes on property, but living in a 1M home in Dallas must come with a good income stream which there is no state income tax on. add that living in a big lib controlled city anywhere in america comes with high taxes, its their way...... ya know, "Pay your fair share".

One way or another someone will get your tax money.
I live in one of the most conservative counties in the state and it's no different here. The problem has nothing to do with politics and everything to do with the large amounts of people moving to the urban centers in Texas from other states, paying ridiculous amounts for houses and driving up the comparable costs so you have no shot at winning an appraisal protest (not to mention the real estate investment corporations snapping up properties).

Depending on the state they moved from, they were able to, for example, turn that 500 sq. foot San Diego house into a 4,000 sq. ft. Texas house with money left over to grab a lake house. Those days are pretty much gone now unless you live further out in the country where you can still get land/housing for pretty good prices. The county claims my house has appreciated so much in the past three years that they are not even allowed by law to tax me on the alleged full appraisal amount yet.

We all know Oklahoma doesn’t smell good…
And some of the worst drivers ever. I never thought I’d see worse driving than the kind you can see on the 95 corridor from North Carolina up to Massachusetts but Oklahoma drivers are right up there with em. ;)
It’s a whole new kinda Ass Clown on the roads. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

And some of the worst drivers ever. I never thought I’d see worse driving than the kind you can see on the 95 corridor from North Carolina up to Massachusetts but Oklahoma drivers are right up there with em. ;)
It’s a whole new kinda Ass Clown on the roads. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Any state whose motto for years on their license plates was "Oklahoma is OK" has issues :)

(disclaimer: I lived in Tulsa for 5 years so I can make fun of the Okies)

....... Top of the list is warm winters for my wife. I (think) we ruled out FL......

In all seriousness, just looking for somewhere warm in the winter that isn't the desert....or FL :)

I am beginning the process of looking for a winter place too. I'll probably always have a summer place here so that eliminates the negative of hot & humidity of FL in the summertime.

My wife likes FL and we both do like the ocean. I like the idea of having a boat which is tough in places like AZ or NM etc.

You say you have eliminated FL. I have been to FL dozens of times and I like it. I'm sure there is plenty I have not considered. What are the negatives of FL that eliminate it from consideration for you? (others chime in too)

I am beginning the process of looking for a winter place too. I'll probably always have a summer place here so that eliminates the negative of hot & humidity of FL in the summertime.

My wife likes FL and we both do like the ocean. I like the idea of having a boat which is tough in places like AZ or NM etc.

You say you have eliminated FL. I have been to FL dozens of times and I like it. I'm sure there is plenty I have not considered. What are the negatives of FL that eliminate it from consideration for you? (others chime in too)
Uhmmm...here you go:

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/only-in-florida.32966/

:)

Biggest reason is that it doesn't get us any closer to family in CO.

We don't do much with respect to the beach, so no real advantage there.

Edit: Also...old people SUCK!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Biggest reason is that it doesn't get us any closer to family in CO.

We don't do much with respect to the beach, so no real advantage there.

Edit: Also...old people SUCK!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Ever thought about Colorado Springs? Doesn't get very cold in the winter. Climate is nice.. Lots to do nearby and it's in CO.

Lots of boating opportunities in AZ. Lake Mead, Lake Pleasant, Lake Powell for big waters. Also, look up Roosevelt lake or Canyon lake for some remarkable landscapes for a lake. I used to go fish at Lee's ferry, we would rent a jon boat with a jet motor and run up the Colorado in Marble Canyon. Absolutely stunning. For added effect, it actually has great duck hunting if you know where to go. I killed my first pintails there.

The ocean is closer than you would think down in Mexico, but it can be a zoo down there because of the drunk idiot gringos. From PHX, I think around 5 hours to San Diego? That number might be off, it's been a minute.

There is more water in Florida though, I'll give you that.

Thanks! We contemplated that, but decided that we really need to be closer to our parents, in CO, as they get older; while also avoiding CO weather. They live near Durango CO, which is STUPID expensive, and unreliable, to fly in and out of. We basically fly into Albuquerque and drink 4 hours, as opposed to flying into Durango.
One thing to consider in Texas is the size of the state. Some people don't grasp the size until they experience it. I went to school about 90 minutes NW of Houston, and it is about a 9-10 hr drive from there to Amarillo, and another 7.5 from Amarillo to Durango. So figure from NW Houston, 10-11 hours most likely. I live on north side of the DFW now and it is about 5-6 hours from here to Amarillo. Grew up in Amarillo and skied NM and CO so I am familiar with those drives, although they are faster now with the increased speed limits.

But just something to be aware of if you are planning to drive to CO.

I will say that Amarillo was a great place to grow up and I love going back to visit. I would move back, but the family is not so sure about that, partially due to the smell of money that occasionally blows in from the feedlots. And the winters do have some cold days, but the winters haven't been too bad the last several years, and the summers are my favorite, 80-90s during the day and cools off to 60-70s most nights so you can enjoy being outside. Dallas & Houston do not cool off much in the evening from July - September.

If the driving is not an issue, you could look around north of Austin, in the Georgetown, or even the Waco area...although those will cause you to have to deal with I35 which is probably the worst highway in Texas.

The Hill Country and Fredericksburg areas are where some of our friends have started retiring and they love it. Somewhat rural feel, but close enough to go into Austin or San Antonio for a day of shopping or activities.

Austin/Hill Country/Waco - all about 8-9 hours to Amarillo I think. And then the drive on from there.

One thing to consider in Texas is the size of the state. Some people don't grasp the size until they experience it. I went to school about 90 minutes NW of Houston, and it is about a 9-10 hr drive from there to Amarillo, and another 7.5 from Amarillo to Durango. So figure from NW Houston, 10-11 hours most likely. I live on north side of the DFW now and it is about 5-6 hours from here to Amarillo. Grew up in Amarillo and skied NM and CO so I am familiar with those drives, although they are faster now with the increased speed limits.

But just something to be aware of if you are planning to drive to CO.

I will say that Amarillo was a great place to grow up and I love going back to visit. I would move back, but the family is not so sure about that, partially due to the smell of money that occasionally blows in from the feedlots. And the winters do have some cold days, but the winters haven't been too bad the last several years, and the summers are my favorite, 80-90s during the day and cools off to 60-70s most nights so you can enjoy being outside. Dallas & Houston do not cool off much in the evening from July - September.

If the driving is not an issue, you could look around north of Austin, in the Georgetown, or even the Waco area...although those will cause you to have to deal with I35 which is probably the worst highway in Texas.

The Hill Country and Fredericksburg areas are where some of our friends have started retiring and they love it. Somewhat rural feel, but close enough to go into Austin or San Antonio for a day of shopping or activities.

Austin/Hill Country/Waco - all about 8-9 hours to Amarillo I think. And then the drive on from there.
VERY helpful, thank you!!

If you were driving south from Denver and turned right, you would have ended up in California. Just sayin', Mr. Time Zone Man. LOL.
Ummm, we did. I didn't say otherwise, We ended up in San Diego via Winslow AZ, Yuma, etc. We rejected San Diego (actually La Jolla) because of the cost of living and inferior west coast beaches...

Ummm, we did. I didn't say otherwise, We ended up in San Diego via Winslow AZ, Yuma, etc. We rejected San Diego (actually La Jolla) because of the cost of living and inferior west coast beaches...
San Diego beaches are the best. But I 100% agree on cost of living.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom