Retirement in Texas (Corpus Christi, Houston, other)? Pros and Cons? (1 Viewer)

Total taxes in Texas are higher then most states for lower and middle income states. Texas taxes are a relative bargain for the wealthy and higher income folks. No income tax is offset by sales taxes and property taxes.

Property taxes run ~~2% of the appraised value, sometimes a bit more. Appraisal districts have been driven to take extreme positions on property values by legislative actions. You aren't going to win an appeal over property valuation very often without heading to court. I have been in court in 2021 and 2022 - both times a deal was negotiated early in the court process. I use a law firm for my protests. No longer an easy do-it-yourself process.

The inner workings of the property tax in Texas is somewhat byzantine. There are a host of special rules, exemptions, deferrals and such. The legislature changes the law almost every session.

Sales taxes are capped at 8.25% Occasionally you might find the tax rates to be a quarter or half percent less.

Lower cost of living can offset the tax burden.

Utilities can be shockingly expensive. Private water districts can charge anything they choose. Not unthinkable to pay $500/month for water in the worst places. And pay less than $50 per month in the best places. Be careful about signing up for "cheap" electricity. It isn't so cheap when spot prices are insanely high.

Land can be pretty cheap in the West half of the state. More so if you don't mind rustic or excessively rural.

Texas is a massively huge place. Worth taking a few weeks to wander around and see what you like. Doubly true if you are any kind of minority. Sadly, there are all too many places where such people are clearly unwelcome or worse.

Also pay attention to local health care options. Rural Texas is sometimes a wasteland for medical access - you can be hours away from hospital care. Ditto for emergency services. It is worse if you are a woman than it is for a man.

Texas can be a fine place to live. But check things out in person before you commit yourself. -=- DrStrange

Total taxes in Texas are higher then most states for lower and middle income states. Texas taxes are a relative bargain for the wealthy and higher income folks. No income tax is offset by sales taxes and property taxes.

Property taxes run ~~2% of the appraised value, sometimes a bit more. Appraisal districts have been driven to take extreme positions on property values by legislative actions. You aren't going to win an appeal over property valuation very often without heading to court. I have been in court in 2021 and 2022 - both times a deal was negotiated early in the court process. I use a law firm for my protests. No longer an easy do-it-yourself process.

The inner workings of the property tax in Texas is somewhat byzantine. There are a host of special rules, exemptions, deferrals and such. The legislature changes the law almost every session.

Sales taxes are capped at 8.25% Occasionally you might find the tax rates to be a quarter or half percent less.

Utilities can be shockingly expensive. Private water districts can charge anything they choose. Not unthinkable to pay $500/month for water in the worst places. And pay less than $50 per month in the best places. Be careful about signing up for "cheap" electricity. It isn't so cheap when spot prices are insanely high.

Land can be pretty cheap in the West half of the state. More so if you don't mind rustic or excessively rural.

Texas is a massively huge place. Worth taking a few weeks to wander around and see what you like. Doubly true if you are any kind of minority. Sadly, there are all too many places where such people are clearly unwelcome or worse.

Also pay attention to local health care options. Rural Texas is sometimes a wasteland for medical access - you can be hours away from hospital care. Ditto for emergency services. It is worse if you are a woman than it is for a man.

Texas can be a fine place to live. But check things out in person before you commit yourself. -=- DrStrange
Awesomely helpful, thank you!!

We paid $19k on our assessed value of $1m
^^^ this. That’s pretty close to about what we pay. Our rate is a little lower, but it’s real close.

The other thing to consider is you’ll be paying about 4x for home and auto insurance with a ridiculously high deductible compared to VA. (At least in the Dallas/N Dallas area)

Insurance is viewed as something to “used” for benefit here vs in VA claims were something to avoid (generally speaking). So it’s very, very expensive, comparatively.

^^^ this. That’s pretty close to about what we pay. Our rate is a little lower, but it’s real close.

The other thing to consider is you’ll be paying about 4x for home and auto insurance with a ridiculously high deductible compared to VA. (At least in the Dallas/N Dallas area)

Insurance is viewed as something to “used” for benefit here vs in VA claims were something to avoid (generally speaking). So it’s very, very expensive, comparatively.
#facts. When we had $40k in storm damage a few years ago I realized just how expensive a 2% deductible was, lol.

Thankfully we upgraded our roof to an impact resistant and the insurance savings were significant.

Like how insane? We have pretty high property tax in VA, but no where near NJ or NY. So, for example, my property tax on my house is about $5100 per year on a $700k house. Way worse than that?
As @Darson said, it can vary depending on the county and local add on taxes. Most of them are on-line though so you can check it out. Just google "{county} central appraisal district" and you can see the rates in that county and search properties by address. So if you see a house you like on Zillow or something you can go to that county's appraisal district and check out the taxes paid for last year.

Here is a fairly comparable valued home in Nueces County and what taxes were applied to it in 2022. Seems fairly high though so I don't know if they did not qualify this home for a homestead exemption break or some other break on taxable value but at least you can see the tax rates.

1682382369405.png

#facts. When we had $40k in storm damage a few years ago I realized just how expensive a 2% deductible was, lol.

Thankfully we upgraded our roof to an impact resistant and the insurance savings were significant.
Yeah, the 2% deductible is insane. I never knew such a thing even existed- I thought the insurance agent was f’ing with us - lol.

I loved my time in Houston. Plenty of Texas barbecue, a ton of Cajun/Creole influences, and awesome Tex Mex. The 90 degrees 90% humidity for three solid months gets old, but I have a feeling when I get closer to retirement age, I will enjoy that.

Update. Tax bill came today. $100 shy of $20k this year.
In Indiana I'm only paying about 1% on my property tax instead of your 2%. But I have a state income tax. I guess in Texas you want high income and low property value, and Indiana you want low income and high property value. I see $2mil houses around here assess at $1mil. And my 300k house assesses at...300k.

Good morning!!!

Thank you all for giving me a heads up on property tax. The TX state average ranks them 9th highest. It looks like it's about 1% higher than VA, but I believe the VA number is driven higher by north VA because I pay much less.

So my new plan is to look for the shittiest school districts in TX...LOL!! Just kidding, but in all seriousness, we will definitely visit multiple areas and do a ton of research.

Below is a pretty cool link that lets you choose the type of taxes you want to view.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/articles/states-with-the-lowest-taxes#:~:text=In 2020, the average American,%) and Florida (6.7%).

Thanks again!!

Screenshot_20230425_065838_Chrome.jpg

How about the Austin hills? Less humid.

If you go Houston, there are options, but I’d ask how you plan to spend your retirement? My cousins (retired) live in Spring (between Cypress and Spring, in the NNW part of town). They’ve moved further and further out over the years. It’s quieter, but still growing and typical Texas suburb life. My in-laws live near the SW corner of the 610 loop- I’d avoid that area due to hurricane flooding.
We are looking at areas NW of Houston between Cypress and Magnolia. My wife needs (wants) good access to stores, while I want to live in the boonies and ride around on my riding mower. Not huge retirement goals--small projects, big projects, and TV and beer. As long as one of those 3 things are available, I'll be in heaven. :)

Not looking necessarily for tax purposes. Top of the list is warm winters for my wife. I (think) we ruled out FL. Doesn't get us any closer to family, in CO, and is full of old people. Nothing against you old bastards, but you suck and make me want to punch somebody in the throat!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

In all seriousness, just looking for somewhere warm in the winter that isn't the desert....or FL :)
Iol, this morning in our part of New Mexico.

7BF9B59E-46EB-4978-9951-4C847B796994.jpeg

I will add this about Texas - if you aren’t living directly in a city then you are most likely within 1-5 miles of a feedlot, possibly a few feedlots.
Wind direction matters.
Your lawn will benefit from the micro particles of fertilizer fog misting the air (yes, it’s that thick) in the evenings.

View attachment 1124711

I will add this about Texas - if you aren’t living directly in a city then you are most likely within 1-5 miles of a feedlot, possibly a few feedlots.
Wind direction matters.
Your lawn will benefit from the micro particles of fertilizer fog misting the air (yes, it’s that thick) in the evenings.
I must admit my lawn is looking really good this spring. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

@Lil Tuna is this true? You’re a minority living in Texas, how do they treat short people there??

Is it doubly true that they charge you more for water and utilities based on your height?

Have you noticed @Lil Tuna how unwelcome you are? Or worse? I mean I know I’d never want to live next to your short ass!!

Dang

View attachment 1124711

Wind direction matters.

Your place was absolutely beautiful!

Just remember Fresh Water is life...

Don't go by property taxes or State taxes, it is the same wherever you live..... They get the money one way or another....... as one user stated 20K taxes on property, but living in a 1M home in Dallas must come with a good income stream which there is no state income tax on. add that living in a big lib controlled city anywhere in america comes with high taxes, its their way...... ya know, "Pay your fair share".

One way or another someone will get your tax money.

Last edited:

View attachment 1124711

Wind direction matters.
Interesting!! We will definitely smell the wind everywhere we visit :)

Interesting!! We will definitely smell the wind everywhere we visit :)
This is a very true statement. I tend to notice it more in the mornings though verses the late afternoon.
If the wind is out of the southwest as it usually is, you get the smell. If it’s out of the north you don’t smell it. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

This is a very true statement. I tend to notice it more in the mornings though verses the late afternoon.
If the wind is out of the southwest as it usually is, you get the smell. If it’s out of the north you don’t smell it. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
Good news is, my nose doesn't work worth a shit, so it won't bother me, but I do want a pool, so it might discourage the strippers. :cool :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Here’s a map - anyplace that’s not yellow probably has at least one feedlot!!
More green = more green

DD887DF9-5A71-440A-A965-3CD6FD2571B4.jpeg

The yellow places are no water or land, only wind and blast furnace heat, pretty much just extensions of the suns surface.

First of all, you are breaking my heart.

After that, my wife and I met in Phoenix. Now, I wouldnt recommend there, but there's some great places in AZ that are higher in elevation that might fit your bill. Flagstaff is an awesome town. Maybe too cold for Molly. Prescott is cool, too...and a little less cold. No humidity in the whole damn state.

You could live in Flag, and when you get cold, drive two hours south and you can be hot again.

First of all, you are breaking my heart.

After that, my wife and I met in Phoenix. Now, I wouldnt recommend there, but there's some great places in AZ that are higher in elevation that might fit your bill. Flagstaff is an awesome town. Maybe too cold for Molly. Prescott is cool, too...and a little less cold. No humidity in the whole damn state.

You could live in Flag, and when you get cold, drive two hours south and you can be hot again.
Yeah...sorry brother!! :) A few things happened this winter that accelerated my retirement plans and the decision to retire elsewhere.

AZ has a lot of appeal from a weather perspective, but houses are pretty expensive and we can't stand the desert.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom