I've been skunked, and not in the cribbage sense (2 Viewers)

Birds of prey are your best option.
In concept, yes, but in reality maybe not...

When I did a "hawk walk" a bit over a year ago:

AD-Norman-on-glove.jpg

...the master falconer who led the walk said that he's careful about hunting anything much bigger than a cottontail rabbit with his 700g hawk (specifically he avoids jackrabbits) as they can actually injure the bird.

If you have a source of a falconer who has an eagle,

1) holy s#!t. I'm jealous!!
2) that's a brave bird to take on skunks!
3) let me know when you hire them so I can be there to beg to have that bird on a glove for a minute, please!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

In concept, yes, but in reality maybe not...

When I did a "hawk walk" a bit over a year ago:

View attachment 1274120

...the master falconer who led the walk said that he's careful about hunting anything much bigger than a cottontail rabbit with his 700g hawk (specifically he avoids jackrabbits) as they can actually injure the bird.

If you have a source of a falconer who has an eagle,

1) holy s#!t. I'm jealous!!
2) that's a brave bird to take on skunks!
3) let me know when you hire them so I can be there to beg to have that bird on a glove for a minute, please!! :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:
That’s awesome! I don’t have any master falconers in my Rolodex, but I’ll ask around. We’ve had considerably more eagle sightings around here than ever before, so it could be a good time to make new friends!!

Had a skunk take up residence in our garage when I was a kid. My Dad bought a trap. Took a couple weeks to catch and remove him. When sprayed when caught and the smell lingered in the garage for months. First time, my Dad took him away and released him. After he came right back, my Dad told me he was taking the skunk far away to a place he would be happy and never return. I think about him sometimes, living the high life in Skunk Shangri La.

I think this thread demands that you reopen the discussion on your poker room name. I will start off with:
Skunk Shangri La
Skunks and Aces

1F47CEC7-DBD6-48AF-BC7A-C39453EA71C2.jpeg

7AF129B3-82D2-4F48-887C-27A56C92B5B7.jpeg
Someone was very persistent. They couldn’t get under the deck by digging a hole, so they just ripped up the whole trap and went through the old entrance. No activity since then. It’s been colder here, so I’m wondering if they’re just hunkered down. It’ll be warmer this weekend, so there may be more activity then.

I’d much rather catch at least one more for the peace of mind knowing every loose one that I’ve seen go under the deck would be accounted for. Wipe the underside of my deck from living memory

D1FAAE39-0B70-4508-8CD9-F984F0D47E89.gif

View attachment 1277912
View attachment 1277915Someone was very persistent. They couldn’t get under the deck by digging a hole, so they just ripped up the whole trap and went through the old entrance. No activity since then. It’s been colder here, so I’m wondering if they’re just hunkered down. It’ll be warmer this weekend, so there may be more activity then.

I’d much rather catch at least one more for the peace of mind knowing every loose one that I’ve seen go under the deck would be accounted for. Wipe the underside of my deck from living memory

View attachment 1277917
Side bar:

Diggin' the greek key vibe in your second deck pic. Curtain relection?

A story from last night, with pictures:

Welp, I got my wish! Checked the trap last night before bed and saw this:
EFDE9ECE-1425-4A3F-8B1D-9FBCBB89123D.jpeg

And then 4 1/2 seconds later saw this:

6C554DB2-36AE-49A1-B28E-4B02BFD0550A.jpeg

Kenan Thompson Yes GIF by Paramount+

He was a big boy, and persistent. I watched them both try to remedy the situation for about 10 minutes before heading to bed after 3 nights of third shifts. I did get some shots of him climbing on the cage though:

064A7CBC-2939-45A2-B5A7-3AE1121FE4E6.jpeg
333E07D2-2B36-4AD9-8E8D-CE0BB3053BB7.jpeg

When I woke up in the morning to call it in, I saw what a determined skunk can do in 7 hours:

1DB105A6-63B0-4E52-91B3-F5B3BC2605D0.jpeg

Efff some Essss up, that’s what. He ripped the trap away from the rest of the housing, tipped it on its side, and tore the blind right off. Oh, and ruined the yard in the process. Thanks, Bro.

I thought we had trapped a female before, but my guy confirmed it was the first female we got in the trap. That’s why my free roaming friend was trying so hard to come to the rescue. He also said since this is the first female we got, so we’ve either got a lot more to come, or a frat house. It might be wishful thinking, but I’ve got my money on the local chapter of Lambda Lambda Pu

The trapper said he heard scuffling under the deck when he was out there, so hopefully the foiled hero will be too tired to remember not to walk into the same trap he should probably recognize tonight.

All told, the number is up to 4. But for how long? Stay tuned…….

Last edited:
Animated GIF

I’ve been struck down by whatever BS my daughter brought home from school, so I forgot to post: We got another one the day after the last one we caught. I’m pretty sure we did this guy a favor. He was looking rough. Really mangy, and not acting like any of the others. I’m not sure if this is the one that was trying to free the previous captee, but he took a turn for the worse if it was the same one.

3F0AB74B-E2E3-4938-BE97-95DAFE37958C.jpeg

In related news, the trap has been triggered twice since we caught the last one, so the trapper installed a trail cam so he could figure out what was causing the ruckus. Today, a bunch of the rocks and bricks around the trap were scattered, so I’m guessing we’re not done with the stanky friends

Five and still counting. Lame sauce

We’d been empty caged with the trap set over the exit for a little over a week, so we turned the cage opening around in hopes of catching some free range critters.

987A10FD-580F-4E44-885C-000CE3ACAAFD.jpeg

Very first night and we had a hit! I’m just thankful it was a skunk and not a possum or squirrel. Or rabbit. Or fox. Or cat. Or any of the other critters roaming around. I don’t really want to release any caged animals back into the wild. On the other hand, I REALLY don’t want to pay $85 every time a squirrel gets curious

6 and counting……

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom