MY TOP 2 DECK SETUPS - Modiano Platinum / Faded Spade / Desjgn / Copag (1 Viewer)

Phyffe

Pair
Reaction score
I host regular home games. Always with 2 deck setups. After having tried all the more readily available brands, I'm finally posting my pros and cons and what I feel to be the best value 2 deck setup. Aside from durability and price, I place a high premium on card feel as I do a lot of my own shuffling and dealing. Finally, the cards have to be available as well, and not restricted to a single supplier (unless of course the retailer in question is also the manufacturer.)

Modiano Platinum

Pros

1) Amazing Texture. Only KEM Acetates feel better.
2) Good Durability. I have used these decks a lot and their quality is very consistent. They are resistant to bowing and their main weakness is their tendency to begin fading. This starts with the thin black borders on the number cards then a general fading of the deck. All the while the cards remain playable.

Cons

1) People on PCF hate this brand. I don't want to add to the controversy but it is what it is.
2) A little pricy. If it were a little more affordable this would be the best overall choice. I would say this is #2.
3) Not available in Bridge Size. While they do have jumbo index, Platinums dont come in Bridge Size.

Faded Spade

Pros

1) Amazing Looks. I guess one could say that this a triumph of form over function. These are the most beautiful decks, IMHO.
2) Durable. I am not quite done wearing these out but from the feel alone you know these will last. Edit - Some early bowing with the Bridge setup. Disappointing but still playable. Colors faring quite well.
3) Available in both Poker and Bridge sizes. Bridge sizes tend to wear out faster but are handier to shuffle.

Cons

1) A little pricier. Considering these are made in China, you seem to be paying a bit more for marketing than you'd wish.
2) Stiffer than most. The Modiano and the Desjgns are definitely more pliant and paper-feeling. You can tell they're made in Italy.

Desjgn

Pros

1) Good Texture. Significantly better than Faded Spade, but not quite as good as Modiano Platinum. Neverthess superior to almost all cards out there.
2) Good Durability. A little bit of bowing was noticeable in the Poker setup. The Bridge setup started bowing a little earlier. Some mild fading after heavy usage.
3) Great value for money. Considering the pros above, Desjgns have great

Cons

1) No real cons. That's the thing, for what you pay, you get a real good deck of cards. Reasonable durability with good card feel.

For the reasons above, Desjgns are my choice for best deck for the money. If the Modianos were cheaper, would I change my mind? Yes. If the European Copags were more readily available, would I change my mind? Yes, if the price were right. But as it stands right now, my money goes to Desjgn.

Some honorable mentions and explanations why they didn't make the cut. -

HONORABLE MENTIONS-

Kem Arrow (USPCC Acetate) - Maybe the most buttery feel of any deck out there but many negatives make it impractical - The first is the outrageous price. It makes Modiano Platinums seem affordable! The second is quality. Some decks just begin to disintegrate and warp when exposed to even a little humidity.

COPAG Unique - Full disclosure, I've yet to try Copag Elites. But COPAG Uniques had a very desirable card feel. Unfortunately these are one of the very few decks that actually cracked/chipped on me while playing. Couple with the relatively high price for a COPAG, I had to pass on this. There are some very nice European Copags, arguably some of the best, but their price and lack of availability disqualify them from the running.

COPAG 1546 - Definitely good value but experience has shown me they are suceptible to premature bowing and they are a little too slippery for my taste.

Bicycle Duraflex - Price is a little high, no Jumbo index. People love the old school design though.

Guild/Da Vinci/ other Modianos - Good durability and nice indexes but the feel is inferior. Decent value for the money but you can do better with Desjgn.

Bullets/Slowplay/Ice - I lump these in together due to the fact that they are all made in China and have similar value propositions. In general they are Sturdy cards, with a stiff feel and decent value for the price. I love the old school Slowplay designs the most out of all of them and if I weren't the one shuffling, I would use them if only for better profitability.

To conclude, are there better decks out there? I have NTPs and Dal Negro Freedom Xs that I would happily put up againt Modianos and Desjgns any day of the week and twice on Sundays, but consdidering their cost and their rarity they just aren't viable alternatives.

Hope this helps some of you considering what decks to use.

Last edited:
Good breakdown. Here's some I'd advise trying if you haven't:

Fournier for sure, especially the EPTs. Highly advise these, some of my favorites.
Broken arrows, cheaper and worth trying, still have stiffness but at a good price and I like the art.
Statesmen, worth a try as well. Again: art, bridge, good feel and stiffness.

I have used a Copag brands at my home games, and I agree that they are somewhat slippery than other card brands, and the colour tends to rub off the suits with much usage.
I have tried the Copag Poker Stars set, and they are less slippery, but fading is an issue.
I have recently purchased Poker Size Fournier EPT , but I have not put those in use as of yet, so I have no input for those.

Modiano Platinium are great brand that stands alone from other Modiano products. Great feel and durability, they only suffer from "fat spade syndrom".

Good breakdown. Here's some I'd advise trying if you haven't:

Fournier for sure, especially the EPTs. Highly advise these, some of my favorites.
Broken arrows, cheaper and worth trying, still have stiffness but at a good price and I like the art.
Statesmen, worth a try as well. Again: art, bridge, good feel and stiffness.

I just KNEW someone would mention Fourniers! The simple matter is their availability and price just doesnt make them accessible to me. I have a few decks and some of them feel great. I will try and source the EPTs though!

The Broken Arrows seem very interesting! Thanks for the tip! How do they feel compared to some of the other decks?

I found Statesmen on sale on eBay. From Australia?

I just KNEW someone would mention Fourniers! The simple matter is their availability and price just doesnt make them accessible to me. I have a few decks and some of them feel great. I will try and source the EPTs though!

The Broken Arrows seem very interesting! Thanks for the tip! How do they feel compared to some of the other decks?

I found Statesmen on sale on eBay. From Australia?
1. Sure, understandable. Im the same way, theyre tough to find, ya just missed a groupbuy. Some should be around, do a wanted ad for used if youd like.

2. Stiffer than most but not as tough as FS. Great texture and snap; love the art but the club and spade are kind of similar.

3. Yup. Again, can prob find used here, lots of decks were bought.

T
Hi! Yes, I've tried these. Made in Spain if I recall? The original US ones seem to feel better IMHO.
he original from US used to lose ink fast, the ones from Spain are being made in Fournier facilities

You said the cards have to be "available". That should disqualify Modiano Platinums because the only source at least here in the US is leftover NOS from international eBay sellers. Unless something has changed recently, I believe these cards have been discontinued.

Fournier and Angel can't be on the list either because they have very limited distribution.

The only card manufacturer that's really nailed worldwide distribution is Copag. Unfortunately their quality is crap.

Modiano P line are easy to obtain in Poland, however recently it's much harder to buy them as sets (in plastic box), more often as single decks in cardboard box.

2. Stiffer than most but not as tough as FS. Great texture and snap; love the art but the club and spade are kind of similar.
Funny that you mention this. First game I used the broken arrows I had a few players complain about the spades and clubs being very similar. I haven’t heard that complaint with any other decks that I’ve used before. Other than that minor issue the decks are awesome. Hopefully BA 3.0 will correct that issue!

Funny that you mention this. First game I used the broken arrows I had a few players complain about the spades and clubs being very similar. I haven’t heard that complaint with any other decks that I’ve used before. Other than that minor issue the decks are awesome. Hopefully BA 3.0 will correct that issue!
Yup I heard similar. Will still use them

You said the cards have to be "available". That should disqualify Modiano Platinums because the only source at least here in the US is leftover NOS from international eBay sellers. Unless something has changed recently, I believe these cards have been discontinued.

Fournier and Angel can't be on the list either because they have very limited distribution.

The only card manufacturer that's really nailed worldwide distribution is Copag. Unfortunately their quality is crap.

Davefr,

Have to admit, its harder buying Platinums now that a year or so ago. Looking at eBay there's only 1 seller out of Germany, though the price seems to be more or less what I used to pay. about $5-8 more than Desjgns.

Yeah, COPAG is crappy, though some of their non-mainstream decks feel good.

I'm finding a huge similarity between Desjgn and Broken Arrow card stock the more I rotate between both sets. Both cards measure .012" thick, both decks shuffle almost the same. The only difference I can find is the texture. Desjgn uses a slightly courser texture and BA's texture is just a little smoother. At $15/setup shipped, BA's are top shelf quality and the best value of any cards I've used so far. Anyone know if BA uses a Dal Negro card stock?

I'm finding a huge similarity between Desjgn and Broken Arrow card stock the more I rotate between both sets. Both cards measure .012" thick, both decks shuffle almost the same. The only difference I can find is the texture. Desjgn uses a slightly courser texture and BA's texture is just a little smoother. At $15/setup shipped, BA's are top shelf quality and the best value of any cards I've used so far. Anyone know if BA uses a Dal Negro card stock?
I assure you that the BA does not use Dal Negro as their vendor. While the thickness of the stock may be similar, the finish and texture are quite different from desjgn.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom