Bone In Tomahawk Ribeye (1 Viewer)

detroitdad

Royal Flush
Reaction score

best cut of steak I've ever eaten.

dry aged 28 days. Fucking amazing!!!!

pre poker dinner for a couple of us tonight.

My buddy that cooks them up for us also makes some of the best home made Blue Cheese dressing you have ever tasted.

This is my favorite cut of meat if you want to do a real steak. There's no F'ing around when you get the tomahawk cut.

This is my favorite cut of meat if you want to do a real steak. There's no F'ing around when you get the tomahawk cut.

Amen brother!!!

We do this about twice a year. My buddy cooks them fucking perfect medium rare. Light cracked pepper, generous sea salt (or kosher salt, can't remember). First time he cooked these up. I proposed to him.

Crap... Now I'M Really Very Hungry for a Ribeye !!!!!!

wooden-angel.jpg

If you slather your steaks with rock salt for about 20 minute on a surface where it can drain (like on an oven rack over your sink) then brush all the salt off and season it with whatever else you want (other than salt) almost any cut of steak will be delicious. It's a weird way to break down the proteins that hold the steak together and makes even cheap steak taste like steakhouse supersteak (of course any RibEye is delicious so good meat done with this trick will be great)

Are you sure those were dry aged 28 days? I only ask because true dry-aging discolors the meat as it drys out, thus concentrating flavor.

Wet aging starts with vacuuming sealing the beef, thus keeping the meat moist, though less flavorful than dry-aged beef.

Examples of dry aged:
Aging%20of%20Meat%201.jpg
4 1 Ribeye 2014.jpg

And wet aged:
IMG_1699.jpg

Here is dry aged, from 1 day to 60 days:
here-you-can-see-enormous-pieces-of-meat-at-various-stages-of-dry-aging-the-meat-on-the-far-left-is-just-a-day-old-while-the-meat-on-the-far-right-is-nearly-60-days-old.jpg

And finally wet and dry aged, side by side. Both have been aged about the same period of time:
on-the-left-you-can-see-a-traditional-wet-aged-steak-compare-its-color-to-that-of-the-dry-aged-steak-on-the-right-both-steaks-have-been-aged-for-the-same-amount-of-time-dry-aged-beef-tends-to-taste-much-more-savory-as-the-loss-of-humidity-concentrates-the-unique-flavor-of-the-meat.jpg

It could just be your photo, but the vaccum packing also leads me to believe it was wet aged.

Seriously. I am craving a big ass ribeye with a side of creamed spinach and an equally big ass Napa cab now.

@pokerZombie........

My buddy gets them from here http://fairwaypacking.com/. This is pulled directly from their site. Its all I know.

How It Works The reason dry aged beef is so amazing is that aging allows natural enzymes to breakdown the hard connective tissue in meats and for water to evaporate away concentrating the flavor.
Dry aging at Fairway is done by racking meat in a controlled, closely monitored environment, and refrigerated environment. The temperature needs to stay between 36-32 degrees. Too warm and the meat will spoil too cold and it will freeze stopping the aging process. Dry aging beef also needs humidity of about 80 percent to reduce water loss. Too high or too low can affect yields considerably.
To control bacteria you need a constant flow of air all around the meat which means it needs to be racked in a well ventilated space. In our dry aging room we have 6 industrial fans that constantly create a hurricane type wind. At Fairway we take it a step further by having ultra violet rays in our room to also help kill off bacteria.
For aging to properly improve the quality of a cut of meat, it should contain substantial marbling. This means fat in the beef distributed evenly. For the best experience only the highest grades of beef will be aged in our room here at Fairway.
Aging steaks to an art takes about 11 days before you see any improvement in the flavor of the meat. After that the flavor continues to intensify. At Fairway we have a minimum 28 day aging program. We feel that this will provide our customers with the best piece of beef they have ever eaten.
Just when we thought you couldn’t make dry aging beef any better than aging it in a controlled, closely watched and refrigerated environment we found a way to do it. Our state of the art room is equipped with a Himalayan salt wall. The salt acts as a natural purifier that helps control the humidity as well as season the air giving the beef even more flavor.
Fairway believes that this is the red carpet beef of the future. We take pride in our aging program every step of the way to assure the greatest steaks.

He used a reverse sear method. Tied them up, salted over a cooling rack. Then cooked on same cooling rack in the oven at 270 for about 50 minutes. Pulled them out, let them rest for 10 minutes, then applied the sear using a cast iron pan.

20150116_182505_zpsa7iwlw8j.jpg

20150116_182753_zpspccvxzor.jpg

20150116_184128_zps2prr8xcu.jpg

20150116_184146_zpsct4rwf3q.jpg

they were amazing. Literally melted in your mouth.

I have often done the reverse, sear on the grill (also adds smoky flavor) then finished in the oven. Never tried the other way around. It looks perfect! Mrs. Zombie is on her way to the store to pick up steaks now.

Between her, mine, and Mr. Tree's reaction, I'm guessing Tommy should get a kick-back from the National Cattlemen's Beef Association. Way to support PCF!

The steak looks fantastic, but we are having another beef product tonight. Ribs coated in "treehouse" rub and ready to go on the smoker.

I've recently come to the realization that for ribs I actually prefer beef to pork. Meatier and have a more satisfying flavor IMO

My buddy that cooks them up for us also makes some of the best home made Blue Cheese dressing you have ever tasted.

What does he do with the dressing, does he give out the recipe for the dressing? I'd like that. I am a huge fan of blue cheese. I'd like to experiment with that.

You can't beat good ribeyes!

- - - - - - - - - Updated - - - - - - - - -

The steak looks fantastic, but we are having another beef product tonight. Ribs coated in "treehouse" rub and ready to go on the smoker.

I've recently come to the realization that for ribs I actually prefer beef to pork. Meatier and have a more satisfying flavor IMO

Do you make the rub, or buy it?

Since I made my first ever tomahawk steak yesterday...
My first ever tomahawk last night, how did I do?

View attachment 944426
... I thought I'd give this ole thread a 7.5 year bump :)

I usually reverse sear, but since I followed a recipe involving some basting I opted for the reverse-reverse sear:

First I dry-brined for 12 hours. I had it uncovered in the fridge to get a dry surface to help get a good crust.

Then I seared it on my grillgrates, which I had flipped in order to get a crust all over the steak and not just on the grill marks.
20220705_202643.jpg

20220705_203128.jpg

5 minutes per side. I thought it seemed much when reading the recipe, but it worked well!

Then indirect grilling at about 110°C having a container below it with butter, fresh rosemary and garlic, from which I basted the tomahawk a few times until it reached 51°C.

Rested 15 minutes. It got up to 52°C, I thought it would climb to 54
20220705_213247.jpg

...then cut it up:
20220705_213438_1.gif

Then applied pepper and served. No more salt needed due to the dry-brining.

Any obvious errors or things that can be improved? :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom