50th Birthday Dinner In Vegas (1 Viewer)

Billy Baroo

Flush
Reaction score
I’m headed to Vegas for the first time ever with a couple of good friends from my cash game this coming Saturday. One of them wants to treat me to a nice dinner to celebrate my 50th birthday and told me to pick from these 4 steakhouses...any input greatly appreciated! We’re staying at Bally’s if it makes any difference.

Gordon Ramsay Steak(Paris)
Old Homestead(Caesars)
Bugsy and Meyer’s(Flamingo)
Ruth Chris(Harrahs)**

**Ruth Chris is a great steakhouse, but I’ve eaten at 4-5 different ones and they all are pretty much the same to me. I’m leaning against it just because I’d like to eat somewhere I’ve never been unless I’m told it’s that much better than the other 3 choices.

Please help!!!

I’m headed to Vegas for the first time ever with a couple of good friends from my cash game this coming Saturday. One of them wants to treat me to a nice dinner to celebrate my 50th birthday and told me to pick from these 4 steakhouses...any input greatly appreciated! We’re staying at Bally’s if it makes any difference.

Old Homestead(Caesars)
Ruth Chris(Harrahs)**

**Ruth Chris is a great steakhouse, but I’ve eaten at 4-5 different ones and they all are pretty much the same to me. I’m leaning against it just because I’d like to eat somewhere I’ve never been unless I’m told it’s that much better than the other 3 choices.

Please help!!!

When I was in Vegas with the Mrs. we did Old Homestead and they screwed up her steak twice. I was less than impressed especially for the price of a meal there. They did comp basically our whole bill ~$300 but it wasn't worth the frustration especially since she was pregnant and very hungry at the time. @Schmendr1ck and I just did Mon Ami Gabi in Paris and the steaks we had were outstanding. Highly recommend that location.

Old Homestead(Caesars)
Ruth Chris(Harrahs)**

Please help!!!
Nice offer from your friend, but none of those would be on my list.

Maybe ask if he's open to your suggesting an alternative.

Ummm, no. It's a chain with branches in every dirt town bigger than Bumphuk, Thailand. Nothing memorable there...
Great might have been a stretch, but my point was that I’ve eaten there more than once and enjoyed it. Perhaps a recommendation instead of just a crotchety comment would help!

If he wants something with a big name, Cut by wolfgang puck is solid. Bazaar Meats by Jose Andres is a bit less of a name unless you know who he is, but I've been, was good.

If he wants something with a big name, Cut by wolfgang puck is solid. Bazaar Meats by Jose Andres is a bit less of a name unless you know who he is, but I've been, was good.
I think he said he’d be using his Diamond Celebration Dinner credit thru Caesars rewards to help pay for the meal. These were the steakhouses on the list.

Circus Circus steakhouse for the old Vegas vibe and service.

1628470385270.png
1628470409102.png

Bone in rib-eye.

1628470447623.png

Last edited:
I think he said he’d be using his Diamond Celebration Dinner credit thru Caesars rewards to help pay for the meal. These were the steakhouses on the list.
GR Steak then.

I can't believe this was 9 years ago already.

1628470737912.png
1628470770379.png

The famous beef wellington. My wife and I split a baked potato (huge). Cell phone cameras back then were not as great. Sorry for the grainy photos.

1628470865072.png

Great might have been a stretch, but my point was that I’ve eaten there more than once and enjoyed it. Perhaps a recommendation instead of just a crotchety comment would help!
We've had steakhouse discussions in food threads before, and I've posted that I used to work in a building that contained a Ruth's Chris, and have a pretty low opinion from the six or seven of them I've eaten in. I can do better at home.

With the pandemic, we haven't been to Vegas for two years, so I didn't think my recommendations would be current -- or necessarily valid.

But if you really think I should: 1) We love the previously recommended Mon Ami Gabi, and the view of the Bellagio fountains while you dine doesn't hurt.. 2) Wolfgang Puck is Mister Reliable in insuring quality when licensing his name (says one of our best friends, an LA food and wine critic for many years, and a great friend of Puck, who attended his wedding in Italy.) 3) Of the newer places, Bazaar Meats would be at the very top of the list for our next trip to Vegas.. Jose Andres is the closest thing we have to god in the food world these days, for many reasons.

Oh, and of the four options originally listed, Bugsy and Meyer's is consistently the highest rated.

Last edited:
BTW about GR Steak, the beef wellington was good but overrated. Personally if I went there again I would order something different. Sticky toffee pudding, I have had before and I thought it sucked as a dessert. So I figured GRS would make it right and I would finally find out what a 'good' sticky toffee pudding was like. No, it just sucks as a dessert.

I'm no help on the choices mentioned above @Billy Baroo, but if you're the type of guy who might like truffle butter for your bone-in ribeye, and you wouldn't mind a swanky night club atmosphere for your Vegas steakhouse experience, you might also consider trying STK at Cosmopolitan. Enjoy your 50th!

Old Homestead(Caesars)
Ruth Chris(Harrahs)**

These all seem like choices from Caeser’s properties. Since it would be rude to suggest alternatives to a gift, your best bet from this list is Gordon Ramsay Steak. B&M is pretty tired, Ruth Chris operates on chain restaurant standards and Old Homestead is decent; but not great.

GRS has some excellent choices and great sides, and a decent wine list.

Happy birthday!

My vote is The Steakhouse at Circus Circus. Rated one of the best steakhouses in Vegas, and not a chain.

My other favorite is Andiamo’s at The D in downtown Vegas. Also excellent.

And if you had to pick from the list, I’d go Old Homestead, thought the sexy pick is GR Steak.

Last edited:

Old Homestead(Caesars)
Ruth Chris(Harrahs)**

Please help!!!
Beef Wellington at Gordon Ramsey’s Steakhouse is outstanding . I would highly recommend it !!!

Old Homestead(Caesars)
Ruth Chris(Harrahs)**

Please help!!!
The Beef Wellington at Gordon Ramsay Steak is outstanding . I highly recommend it .

From that list i‘d go with GRS for sure. Unless you have some inside connection or he/you are at least a diamond elite, I‘d recommend you reserve soon.
This saturday is already fully booked, and sunday only has a few dinner slots left.

Thanks for all of the input! Your comments and suggestions are truly appreciated. With that being said, I am choosing Bugsy and Meyer’s for this reason and this reason only...my friend who is treating has stated at a previous cash game that I hosted that he really wanted to eat there on his next trip. I don’t think he knows that I overheard him say that, so I think it’s only right to pick the place that he really wants to try. After all, I’m getting a free meal on him, so I’ll be happy regardless of where we go. Him wanting to treat means way more to me than where we actually go.

We were able to get a table for dinner on Monday the 16th which is my actual birthday, so everything seems to be working out perfectly! Being in Vegas for the first time ever and on my 50th...wish me luck!

Happy 50th Birthday!

Sorry haven't been to the 4 you listed, but I would pick GR to try.

If you decide to go on your own, went to Vegas last month and tried the Steakhouse at the Circa, Barry's. The Barry's Rib Cap Steak was a thumbs up from me.

Happy 50th Birthday!

Sorry haven't been to the 4 you listed, but I would pick GR to try.

If you decide to go on your own, went to Vegas last month and tried the Steakhouse at the Circa, Barry's. The Barry's Rib Cap Steak was a thumbs up from me.
I love a good rib cap but the dry aged bone-in ribeye might just be calling my name!

CUT by Wolfgang Puck was one of the best dining experiences I’ve had in my life. Everything from the breadsticks they put on the table to the main course and dessert was highly enjoyable and memorable.

edit: didn’t realize you had to choose from those specific restaurants lol. Maybe you can try my suggestion the next time you’re in Vegas then.

CUT by Wolfgang Puck was one of the best dining experiences I’ve had in my life. Everything from the breadsticks they put on the table to the main course and dessert was highly enjoyable and memorable.

edit: didn’t realize you had to choose from those specific restaurants lol. Maybe you can try my suggestion the next time you’re in Vegas then.
Might just have to do that! Next time, Mrs.Baroo will be accompanying me and I’m sure she’d love it! I promised her that we’d both go together for our first visit to Vegas, but her work schedule didn’t allow her to go this time. She graciously suggested/insisted that I go with my buddies to celebrate my 50th!! Words cannot even describe how great she is and how lucky I am to be married to such an awesome woman!!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom