$600 homemade cabinet for chips and Shuffletech (no significant skills necessary) (1 Viewer)

CSW

Pair
Reaction score
This post is to share my version of a homemade cabinet I made to house my Shuffletech, chips, cards, and everything else that I use to host my periodic poker tournaments. I hope that some of you may be able to leverage my research to put together your own solution.

A few disclaimers up front:
  1. If you are a skilled woodworker like @rjdev7 , this post is not for you. You can make something much cooler and more customized than I put together, just like he and some others on PCF have made. (For example see here.)
  2. If you are not a skilled woodworker, but want something super customized that looks beautiful (and are willing to pay for it and wait for it to be built), this post is also not for you. You should contact @alecnetwoodworks . He builds amazing stuff. (See here.)
  3. If you are on a tight budget (less than a few hundred dollars), this post is also not for you. A few folks here on PCF have put together some relatively cheap pieces using prefab cabinets. They don’t have the same level of customization, but they are cheaper. (For example, see here and here.)
  4. If you have a ton of chips (a couple of thousand or more), this post may or may not be for you. Depending on what else you want to include in the cabinet, you may not have enough drawer space on the available IKEA drawer configurations. Also, creating enough counterweight in the back to make sure it doesn’t tip forward may be a challenge with this homemade setup (I’ll share what I did to counterbalance my collection of just under 2,000 chips).
With those disclaimers out of the way: If you want a relatively nice setup that can be reasonably customized to suit different needs, and you are willing to spend about $600, what I share here might be a good option for you.

Before I share my solution, below is the list of features that I specifically was looking for. If your desired setup is significantly different from this, then you may be able to find something better/cheaper/different. But after canvassing Home Depot, Lowe’s, Costco, IKEA, Staples, Amazon, and a few other places on the internet, this was the best solution I found to meet my requirements.

My requirements:
  1. An area to mount my Shuffletech with flush mount kit in the top. Ideally would include space to hold some sort of power strip to extend the reach of the short power cord included with the Shuffletech.
  2. A shallow drawer to hold at least one of these 1,000-chip inventory trays for the majority of my tournament chips. Bonus for additional space for individual racks around the tray to hold overflow tournament chips.
  3. A shallow drawer to hold a cash drawer insert like this to handle buy-ins, change, etc.
  4. Drawer space to house my small set of 500 cash game chips in racks.
  5. Cabinet or drawer space to hold table setups (decks of cards, dealer buttons, and cut cards).
  6. Cabinet or drawer space to hold starting stack tubes, empty racks, and other miscellaneous supplies.
  7. The above requirements led me to look for solutions that were at least 18x21 inches of inside drawer space.
  8. Casters or wheels to allow the cabinet to be rolled away into a closet for storage, but then locked in place when in use.
  9. No more than 34 inches high, including the wheels (needed to be able to roll up under my kitchen counter area behind the poker table).
  10. Ideally would have the ability to lock the drawers (the games I host are friendly, but always good to remove any temptations).
With those requirements in mind, here is what I put together:

5A51F230-D979-4855-85AF-6167A95DB316.jpeg

C7FB65AD-0196-432C-8C26-86E93F9B6973.jpeg

68C8867F-933D-4659-8900-A83005B66729.jpeg

24902933-1032-4C12-8BB5-6B62C59B2B4E.jpeg

2CFEA81E-D951-4BA3-A914-4046E9425679.jpeg

0CEE2CFC-8D78-432C-8C4C-A7C5854AA81C.jpeg
1DB2C511-FF12-41BB-A325-FAA0C32C2119.jpeg

DF83A31B-E229-45A9-AD78-9D29A742C616.jpeg

And — since those photos were taken before my new custom CPCs came in and I want to show off what the rack looks like as it is currently set up with the new chips — one more photo for good measure:

79308688-9271-4EF1-AC99-DACCB751C3CC.jpeg

I started with one of IKEA’s Sektion cabinets. These come in a variety of different sizes, but I went with the 24x24x30 version in the Enköping/white wood effect finish. This ended up being the perfect size for what I needed.

One of the key features of IKEA’s cabinets is that they are very modular, meaning that there are lots of different combinations of ways to set up the drawers and cabinets, many that are preconfigured for you and others that you can come up with on your own. This is nice for offering a bunch of different ways to customize the setup for your needs (if you just want to store chips, there is a version with six shallow drawers, if you want a cabinet to store some accessories, they have versions with different combinations of drawers and cabinets; the options really are pretty wide). But it also makes it a bit confusing to figure out exactly what to buy.

I started out by buying this pre-configured version that has four total drawers, two of which are smaller drawers hidden behind one larger drawer front. I was pretty sure that I could move the 2-in-1 drawer down so that one of the basic medium drawers was on top for the Shuffletech area (I was right about that). Once I got it home and put together, I realized that I liked that 2-in-1 drawer setup so much that I actually wanted to replace one of the medium drawers on my original purchase with another of the 2-in-1 options. So, if you want exactly what I ended up putting together, this is exactly what to purchase:
  1. Sektion base cabinet
  2. Medium drawer fronts x 3
  3. Low drawers x 5 (three of these will be attached to the medium drawer fronts, and two will be attached to the UTRUSTA hidden drawer fronts)
  4. UTRUSTA (hidden) drawer fronts x 2 (these will be installed above two of the three small drawers that are ultimately attached to the main medium drawer front; in my configuration, these would be the bottom two).
But again, there are all sorts of drawer and cabinet options, so peruse the options and see what would work best for what you need.

Once I had the base cabinet and drawers assembled, I added these lockable casters to the bottom. I offset them a little bit to the front to help keep the cabinet balanced when all of the weight from the open drawer of chips would try to tip the cabinet forward.

After testing out the cabinet with the chips and everything else loaded up, I confirmed my suspicions that, even with the casters offset to the front, the cabinet was still too front-heavy when the drawers were all pulled out. So, I took some spare brick pavers that we had from our back yard and placed them in the bottom rear of the cabinet, behind the bottom drawer. I’m sure there are a lot of other ways that this counterweight system could be accomplished, but this was the easiest way for me.

Next up, you need a top. Interestingly, the IKEA cabinets are set up to be kitchen cabinets with something like a granite countertop attached. Therefore, they do not include — or even sell (as far as I could tell) — a wooden top. So, I purchased a 25x30 “cover panel” from IKEA, which is technically supposed to be installed along the side of the cabinet to make it more attractive when the end of one of the cabinets is showing. I then cut that down to size on the back side so that it overhangs the back and all sides about the same distance (1/2 inch or so).

I then followed the instructions for the Shuffletech flush mount kit to install the Shuffletech into the top of the cabinet. This is where I needed to borrow some tools and get the help of someone a bit more handy than myself (in my case, my dad).

Finally, I added these locks (here and here) using the included drill bit to drill the holes in the front of each drawer. (I considered going way over the top with this project and installing RFID locks like these ones, but the RFID unit was too large to fit into the space available with my drawer configuration. For what it is worth, I think if I used the three-drawer configuration with all medium drawers, these would work.)

In the end, I was able to handle the project myself with just a bit of help (and some borrowed tools) from my dad. And believe me, if I can pull something like this off with my almost non-existent handyman skills, just about any of you could. I really can’t underestimate how little I know about building stuff.

Total project cost was:
  • 1 Base cabinet = $70
  • 1 Medium drawer = $60
  • 3 Medium drawer fronts = $93
  • 4 Low drawers = $208
  • 2 UTRUSTA (Hidden) drawer fronts = $40
  • Cover panel = $48
  • Casters = $24
  • Locks = $22
  • Chip inventory tray = $18
  • Cash drawer insert = $22
  • TOTAL = $605 (plus tax), not including the racks and starting stack tubes that I already had.
Last week, I also added this drawer liner from Amazon to keep things from moving around as much and to make the inside look a bit cooler.

I will also probably be installing some sort of drawer handles/pulls. The drawers work OK without them, but will be much easier to handle with some sort of knob.

Hope this information helps and/or inspires you to build your own setup! Feel free to reach out with questions!

And thanks to everyone who came before me (including those whose posts I linked above) who inspired and informed my setup.

Last edited:
This came out great! I'm glad you were able to come up with a solution that fit all your needs! I should have thought to suggest the Ikea cabinets. Built a couple kitchens with them. As you found, they come in a ton of options and they actually use really high quality hardware, made by Blum. Great job.

Thanks so much, @alecnetwoodworks. Those words mean a lot coming from you.

Still not the beautiful piece of furniture that I was hoping to get from you, but I had to get something in play soon! Just wasn’t patient enough.

However, we do run 2-3 tables routinely, and my players are clamoring for a second (and possibly third) shuffletech for the other tables. My plan is to use this cabinet for a few more games, think about what I like about it and what I would change if I could get a truly custom one, and then come back to you for the masterpiece (then relegate this one to one of the secondary tables). Really look forward to working with you soon.

@kmccormick100 one of these would be kinda cool? Not sure if preference is to have one in the table or not.
since those photos were taken before my new custom CPCs came in and I want to show off what the rack looks like as it is currently set up with the new chips
Ummm, just did search. Saw no thread for your customs. Is there a sample available?

@kmccormick100 one of these would be kinda cool? Not sure if preference is to have one in the table or not.

Ummm, just did search. Saw no thread for your customs. Is there a sample available?
I’m waiting to do a showcase post until I have a friend of mine take some good pics (and until I have time to do a quick write-up).

But in the meantime:

As for samples, I’m pretty sure I’ll eventually have some to give away. I have a few QC issues I want to work through with CPC. Once I know how those will be resolved, I’ll have a better idea of how many extras I can spare. Feel free to PM me if you are still interested after seeing the chips in the links above. (@JMC9389 and @warma , if either of you still want a sample, feel free to PM me the details).

Thanks for the kind reactions, everyone!

I’m waiting to do a showcase post until I have a friend of mine take some good pics (and until I have time to do a quick write-up).

But in the meantime:

As for samples, I’m pretty sure I’ll eventually have some to give away. I have a few QC issues I want to work through with CPC. Once I know how those will be resolved, I’ll have a better idea of how many extras I can spare. Feel free to PM me if you are still interested after seeing the chips in the links above. (@JMC9389 and @warma , if either of you still want a sample, feel free to PM me the details).

Thanks for the kind reactions, everyone!
Perfect, thanks!

Also keep in mind that if you do decide to send samples, it’s a great way to get rid of some of QC issue chips. Generally we’re only displaying one side of your chip, so if the other side is jacked or label is bubble or whatever, might be a good “sample” chip.

Love the build! Question: how's the noise from the STech now that you're up and running? Have you made any tweaks to reduce noise?

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone. I hope some of you can find the info useful.

Question: how's the noise from the STech now that you're up and running? Have you made any tweaks to reduce noise?

I don’t have any problem with the noise at this point, especially if the lid of the STech is closed (I often shuffle with the lid open because (1) I’m lazy, and (2) I’m always leery of parts that may break after constant use like the door hinge; but closing the lid definitely helps). Our games have a fair amount of background noise (3 tables spread across inside and back patio, usually some background music on, lots of chatting, etc.), so even without the cabinet we didn’t mind it much. That being said, the cabinet does cut the noise down. Hard to say how much; maybe 30-50%.

I originally thought about using some noise dampening padding and/or glue, but I think I’ll leave it for now. With this setup, there isn’t much I can do to truly insulate it because (1) there are holes in the back of the STech compartment for the power cords, so sound will always escape and reverberate from there and (2) the STech compartment is a drawer, not a sealed up compartment.

I’m sure there are adjustments that could be made to quiet it down even more if it were a priority for you; it is not for us at this point.

Cool solution :)

I don’t have any problem with the noise at this point [...] I originally thought about using some noise dampening padding and/or glue, but I think I’ll leave it for now. [...] I’m sure there are adjustments that could be made to quiet it down even more if it were a priority for you; it is not for us at this point.
Do you or anyone at your game night have an Apple Watch or some other decibel measuring device? Curious about how loud this shelf setup is.

My friend bought a ShuffleTech and returned it... hearing lots of things from different people.

Cool solution :)

Do you or anyone at your game night have an Apple Watch or some other decibel measuring device? Curious about how loud this shelf setup is.

My friend bought a ShuffleTech and returned it... hearing lots of things from different people.
Apologies for the delay. I've spent the last few weeks on vacation and then getting ready for back-to-school with the kids.

I measured the sound tonight, and here are the results:

Measuring locationDecibels (Lid Open)Decibels (Lid Closed)
Immediately next to the machine82-8575-77
My seat at the table (next to the machine but with my back to it)65-6857-60
Opposite side of the poker table from the machine64-6754-59

Seems that closing the lid cuts about 10 decibels off the sound. And Just having the machine behind you (or 3-4 feet away) cuts another 15-20. This may be why I have never had as much of a problem with the noise as some other folks, who may have the machine installed into the poker table or sitting on top of it (right in the middle of everyone). Even before I built the cabinet, I had it set up on a bench behind me.

For what it is worth, I measured again with the top cabinet drawer open (approximating what it might sound like without the cabinet), and the results didn't change much. So, either the cabinet is not dampening the sound much, or whatever dampening is happening is still effective with the drawer open. I lean toward the former interpretation; it sounds to me like most of the sound comes out through the top of the machine, as opposed to from the machine body (the part that is surrounded by the cabinet). I could certainly be wrong though. I'm no expert on acoustics.

Hope this was helpful.

Apologies for the delay. I've spent the last few weeks on vacation and then getting ready for back-to-school with the kids.

I measured the sound tonight, and here are the results:

Measuring locationDecibels (Lid Open)Decibels (Lid Closed)
Immediately next to the machine82-8575-77
My seat at the table (next to the machine but with my back to it)65-6857-60
Opposite side of the poker table from the machine64-6754-59

Seems that closing the lid cuts about 10 decibels off the sound. And Just having the machine behind you (or 3-4 feet away) cuts another 15-20. This may be why I have never had as much of a problem with the noise as some other folks, who may have the machine installed into the poker table or sitting on top of it (right in the middle of everyone). Even before I built the cabinet, I had it set up on a bench behind me.

For what it is worth, I measured again with the top cabinet drawer open (approximating what it might sound like without the cabinet), and the results didn't change much. So, either the cabinet is not dampening the sound much, or whatever dampening is happening is still effective with the drawer open. I lean toward the former interpretation; it sounds to me like most of the sound comes out through the top of the machine, as opposed to from the machine body (the part that is surrounded by the cabinet). I could certainly be wrong though. I'm no expert on acoustics.

Hope this was helpful.

This is very helpful! I'm going to get one when I can find a good deal. 50s/60s perfectly manageable.

Reactions: CSW
For future reference for anyone reading this thread, I found this video with someone running the Shuffletech, not talking while it shuffles.

Calibrate with an Apple Watch to get an idea of how loud a Shuffletech is.

(2:38)

So just went through and built this but I’m seeing that my medium drawer (housing the Shuffletech has a rather high back and side rails that may interfere once the shuffler is mounted?

I pulled mine out this weekend to check what you are talking about, and mine does not have that issue. However, you mentioning this did trigger a vague memory. As I mentioned, IKEA offers a wide variety of different drawer combinations. And in the process of building, I bought several different sizes and types, and tried a few different combos. It is possible that what I actually ended up keeping was five low drawers, not four low drawers, and one medium, like I said in the OP.

I thought I checked everything closely before I finalized the post, but it is possible that I messed this up. All five of my drawers — the three that are attached to the medium drawer fronts and the two that are attached to the hidden drawer fronts — all have the same size rails and backs. I apologize for the mistake.

If you confirm that what I describe here is the correct setup, I will edit the OP to reflect the correct parts list. (I don’t want to change it now and risk creating more confusion in case my memory is mistaken now, 8 months after I built it.)

I pulled mine out this weekend to check what you are talking about, and mine does not have that issue. However, you mentioning this did trigger a vague memory. As I mentioned, IKEA offers a wide variety of different drawer combinations. And in the process of building, I bought several different sizes and types, and tried a few different combos. It is possible that what I actually ended up keeping was five low drawers, not four low drawers, and one medium, like I said in the OP.

I thought I checked everything closely before I finalized the post, but it is possible that I messed this up. All five of my drawers — the three that are attached to the medium drawer fronts and the two that are attached to the hidden drawer fronts — all have the same size rails and backs. I apologize for the mistake.

If you confirm that what I describe here is the correct setup, I will edit the OP to reflect the correct parts list. (I don’t want to change it now and risk creating more confusion in case my memory is mistaken now, 8 months after I built it.)
I believe you would need 5 low to allow room for the top shelf to pull out and miss the mounted shuffler. I'm going to try to make it work with a medium drawer as I don't feel like returning this and waiting for another low drawer.

I believe you would need 5 low to allow room for the top shelf to pull out and miss the mounted shuffler. I'm going to try to make it work with a medium drawer as I don't feel like returning this and waiting for another low drawer.
Got it. I’ll modify the OP. Apologies again for leading you astray.

Took me entirely way too long but on the medium drawer, I was able to trim the back panel (thin metal) with an oscillating tool to clear the mounted shuffler. It looks about the same height as the low drawer now and I just filed it down and put some tape on the edge for "padding". *for anyone that's purchased the medium drawer and has a shuffler.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom