I love baseball - share your best memories (4 Viewers)

This is classic Berg. You’re up 3-0 to a team that hasn’t won a World Series in 86 years, and has lost multiple ALCs in the most heart breaking manner possible, and despite the fact that no team has ever come back from that big of a deficit, you saw a clear path for the Yankees to lose?
If you followed the Yankees all year, yeah. It wasn’t a probability but it was definitely a possibility. I talked to 3 or 4 friends who were fans as well and they were like yeah, Game 4 is a must win.

They weren’t beating Pedro in a Game 5 with a tired Moose. He had a no-no through 7 or so innings in Game 1 and threw a lot of pitches. Pedro was pretty fresh.

If Schilling could pitch, Game 6 was a loss.

Brown starts Game 7 and won’t last 3 innings

They didn’t have online betting back then but I wouldn’t thrown a couple hundred on the Sox at +400 or better for the Series.

Never felt that way about a playoff series before or sense. It was a super unique set of circumstances.

My favorite memory is when I bet some random internet stranger that another random internet stranger could chuck a baseball a certain distance (i can't remember how far exactly).

spoiler alert: i don't think he did
I bet on the 2nd throw he got there though. Kid had a cannon brah.

Best baseball memory. Little league game, it started pouring before the game started, so we just hung out in the dugout until the adults decided the rain wasn't stopping. We slid down the hill by the concession stand and got 'suicides' even though we didn't win. :D

We need to get you at least two more…
View attachment 1108554
Nailed it.
PXL_20230329_193504905.jpg

Have you guys had these appraised? I always see those things in FB about how much they are worth now, but no idea if it’s true?
I have not, my collection is not minty or anything. Some are in very good condition and some are not. Most likely they're worth a few bucks. I'm sure @chipinla collection is much better than mine.

I haven’t been to a ton of baseball games but I’ve had the most fun at minor league games including the Oakland A’s (joke). I grew up watching baseball movies which are some of my all time favorites:

Bull Durham
Major League
For Love of the Game
Field of Dreams
The Natural
The Sandlot
Moneyball
The Rookie
A League if their Own

“How can you not get romantic about baseball” Moneyball

Speaking of Oakland As and baseball movies…anyone catch the Reggie Jackson interview on Howard Stern? Ties in the racism discussion from the other thread and how Selig blocked him from buying the A’s

I have not, my collection is not minty or anything. Some are in very good condition and some are not. Most likely they're worth a few bucks. I'm sure @chipinla collection is much better than mine.
I haven’t. I have so many loose ones in binders it’s almost overwhelming to think about. It’s all the unopened packs that I have that I really need to look in to.

Best baseball memory. Little league game, it started pouring before the game started, so we just hung out in the dugout until the adults decided the rain wasn't stopping. We slid down the hill by the concession stand and got 'suicides' even though we didn't win. :D
My favourite memory as a coach, I was coaching a team of 11-12 year olds. We were in a tournament and our game was in a rain delay. It was cold, wet and miserable and I turn around and one of my kids was writing FUN in the mud with the knob of his baseball bat because he legitimately thought there was no better way to spend the weekend, despite the weather, than playing ball.

I can add more detail later…..

- 1983 World Series, game 2
- Nationals Opening day, calling out sick from my desk when I heard tickets were still available.
- taking my oldest to his first O’s game
- taking my middle son to his first O’s game
- batting on the field at Camden Yards
- watching my oldest take BP on the field at Camden Yards.
- opening day 2022, baseball back to “normal”
- going to Fenway park, and watching the Mariners play (Griffey, A-Rod, Buhner, Randy Johnson). Johnson came out of the bullpen and gave up a grand slam to a lefty batter, his first ever.
- smacking the green monster.
- being at old Yankee stadium for Roger Clemens 350th win
- being at Shea stadium.
- also been to the Metrodome, the ballpark in Arlington (twice), Tuner field,

And tonight, an exhibition game at Camden Yards between UMBC (local school) and the Navy team.

74BEF1C3-0ACA-4EF1-A316-CFDCCCF86AF6.jpeg

-grandpa taking me to new ranger stadium mid 90’s, remember seeing pudge hit a grand slam from the 3rd deck

-high school working as chick-fil-a cow at the double-A midland rockhounds on chickfila night, was over 90 that day. Memorable for sure

-talking my friend into committing to one hot dog per Yu Darvish strikeout on dollar hot dog night

-great times playing the home run beer game with some old friends I haven’t seen in too long (we play that you draft players, and if your player hits a home run you buy a round)

-seeing rangers play in Toronto game 1 2014 alds , very outnumbered, very boisterous, got popcorn thrown at me a lot, got told “no you can’t have that foam blue J”, mentioned in that other thread too but energy there was outstanding

-taking my oldest to her first minor league game, she devoured her first ever hot dog, snagged her a foul ball

im looking into having the OP'er banned for offensive content in the thread tittle.

OIP.musIBtpVFPpGV9aoRcDXQwAAAA

PFC liberals ratting on patriots.

Jeter’s last game at Fenway.

At the time, I lived in Boston. My dad came out to see me and we scalped tickets to the game. This was when you could still go from the bars on Yawkey Way to your seat and back again; so we’d grab a beer and watch the football games in the bar and when it was time for Jeter, run back inside. I think it was the 3rd inning, but we assumed it was his last at bat. We ran back in and snuck down to behind the netting for Jeter’s last hit (a screaming line drive according to this Yankee fan’s memory ).

Success for my team has been seriously lacking, but best memories were of course their 2005 run. Was a season ticket holder and was able to go to all the playoff games

More recently, I was at Game 4 of Phillies/Astros World Series and got to witness history, with the combined no hitter (I’m an AL fan so was secretly cheering for the Astros).

Red Sox are my team.
I was in Colorado on a business trip for 2 weeks.
There was a certain game coming to town.
I sat one row down from the mile high seats in the stadium.
I got to see my team win the World Series in person.

1680133754252.png

There is a bit of family lore with the Redsox.
My dad grew up in the Newton Highlands, and my grandfather knew the right people.
He could get box seats for any game he wanted, baseball, football and hockey...and did so often for his customers. (He owned a home heating oil company)
My grandmother was there the day Ted Williams spit at the fans, she never went back again. I still remember her badmouthing Ted in the 80's when I would come and visit. That woman knew how to hold a grudge!
That didn't stop my dad and grandfather. :cool

I haven’t been to a ton of baseball games but I’ve had the most fun at minor league games including the Oakland A’s (joke). I grew up watching baseball movies which are some of my all time favorites:

Bull Durham
Major League
For Love of the Game
Field of Dreams
The Natural
The Sandlot
Moneyball
The Rookie
A League if their Own

“How can you not get romantic about baseball” Moneyball

Pretty decent low(er) budget baseball movie - Undrafted https://we.tl/t-HFirUU5Dy6 (link is only good for 7 days - apologies for the not so great resolution) quite a few scenes (chatter) reminded me of playing little league... :) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Undrafted_(film) (directed by the little kid from Jurassic Park 1)

Brian Regan reminisces about little league:
Earlier version:
(starting at 11:51)

For me, it might be seeing this in person last year:
3F7E34FD-5353-4274-821E-F0F0F83B9950.gif

Also went to my first World Series game last year, so that’s obviously near the top of the list, but it was the one that went really, really (really) poorly for the Phillies…

I loved playing ball. I always played competitively in my youth but the league I played in was definitely closer to the bottom.

My home field hosted a premier team as well. A couple of people played there throughout the years. Jeff Francis, Justin Morneau and James Paxton are the names that stand out.

Perhaps my best memory was winning a tournament in high school. Our team had a player that didn't know how to tag up if the ball was popped up and the opposition had a couple former premier league players on it. Not sure how great those players were but beating them in the semis in that tournament had to be the best feeling for me. Not sure if I scored the tying or go ahead run but I do remember smacking the plate in excitement as I crossed it. I think it must have been the go ahead run. I recall it being a one run game.

A few years before that, I was playing fastpitch and I was a pitcher. Loved it and was pretty decent at it. Tried to pitch in hardball one game without any coaching and I think I gave up 4 runs in an inning and a third and pulled my groin. Pretty much every time I throw any type of ball I can't help but do a sort of wind up imitating a pitcher. Needless to say, that's not quite enough to be good at it. Maybe I need to get back into it one of these days though, seems like I might be obsessed.

As a side note, my friend that played on this premier team told me the first time James Paxton showed up to the field everyone was wondering what the heck he was doing there. Guess he didn't look very athletic. As soon as he threw the baseball everyone figured it out pretty quickly.

Success for my team has been seriously lacking, but best memories were of course their 2005 run. Was a season ticket holder and was able to go to all the playoff games

More recently, I was at Game 4 of Phillies/Astros World Series and got to witness history, with the combined no hitter (I’m an AL fan so was secretly cheering for the Astros).
I was there, too, but definitely not cheering for the Astros. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom