I love baseball - share your best memories (3 Viewers)

Saw on the Web a couple of days ago a picture of Bill Russell and Frank Robinson, with a caption mentioning that they were classmates and basketball teammates in high school in San Francisco. Two of their other class and teammates were Vada Pinson and Curt Flood -- must have been one hell of a team!

Russell Robinson.jpg

Last edited:
September 13, 2014: The Father to Son Game

Dodgers 17 Giants 0
Worst loss in Giants history. (By score anyway)

My client had brought me as a "thank you" gift & we were sitting directly to the left of the Fodgers Dugout in the front row. She gave me arguably the best seat as you can look directly into the dugout and have "conversations" with the players.

The Giants were getting crushed that game so it gave Manager Bruce Bochy an opportunity to do something that's never happened in the history of baseball: He handed the ball to his son RHP Brett who had just been called up a few days earlier. This was his 1st time pitching in the Majors!!

Brett's 1st victim was Yasiel Puig: Giants Enemy #1. What happened? Struck him out & weasled out of a bases loaded jam to get out of the inning.

For all you East Coast Only fans who know nothing about any teams west of the Mississippi, the Giants hang wooden K's on the wall for each Strike Out.

That following Christmas the same client who brought me to that game gave me this amazing continuation gift:

20181013_225738.jpg

The actual K that was hung on the wall! (Almost as cool as MadBums storybook finish to that year's WS in Game 7)

Watching the Bums take the WS in 2020. Everyone can call it a Mickey Mouse WS but after watching them choke continuously my entire life (Born in 89) it was nice to see them actually win for once. Glad the Claw got a ring before he hangs up the spikes.

So, baseball has never really been my sport. I didn't grow up with it as my dad wasn't really a sports guy, though he told tales of watching the Dodgers when he and my uncles were kids growing up in Brooklyn as well as playing stickball in the streets. I don't follow the game, but I sure love going to a game. It might seem cliche, but it's absolutely true that there is nothing better than seeing live sports in person, and there's just something about baseball that makes it so much better.

A handful of favorites:

AD-baseball-DBacks-low.jpg

DBacks game in the lower seats in the outfield.

AD-baseball-Dbacks-high2.jpg

Another DBacks game, but in the second layer seats with and c/o some friends from L.A. The second layer seats are nice! Not just beer and hotdog vendors here, but delivered chow from the nice restaurants here as well.

AD-baseball-runners.jpg

Including a good view of the mascot races! :love:

AD-baseball-Cubs-ST-hit.jpg

One of my L.A. friends is a big Cubs fan, so spring training in Phoenix was a must-do for her several years back. After probably 50 photos, I finally caught the moment of contact with the bat!

AD-baseball-Dodgers.jpg

A game on a trip to L.A. with the same friends from above. They're not Dodgers fans, but we were obligated to go for the game against the Giants (their other favorite team). This was fun for the old stadium, no roof and a perfect southern California weather evening. A foul ball landed a row down and two seats over. I never had a chance of catching it, but it was exciting for the moments it was clearly heading our way!

A trip to Fenway is on the bucket list as is Wrigley just to say I've been to games at those historic parks. Wrigley is also important to check off another item on the "Ferris Bueller Tour of Chicago".

Last edited:
Each spring, anything seems possible.
Then by the end of the second week, I'm reminded that the Mariners suck, and have always sucked my entire life. LOL.

Learn to drop down a bunt, DUDE!!

2004 World Series Game 2 at Fenway park, AKA Schillings second bloody sock game. Went with my 86 year old grandfather, who had lived his entire life during the Bambino curse. It was the last home game the Sox would play that Series as they went on to Sweep the Cardinals in 4 Games and reverse the curse.

The most emotional game for me was opening day 2005, and seeing them raise the banner.

The smile on the Sandman’s face when the Fenway crowd gave him the loud mock cheer when he was announced before the game is one of my favorite moments

The smile on the Sandman’s face when the Fenway crowd gave him the loud mock cheer when he was announced before the game is one of my favorite moments
I’m obviously not a Sox fan at all given me allegiance to the Bombers, but I’ll give Sox fans their due - they’re generally very passionate and knowledgeable about the game and really engaged with the team. That moment made me laugh too and was a weird sort of respect.

How could I have possibly forgotten the most Boston thing that I ever did while living in New England? My wife and I were in the park for the first game after the city had been shut down after the marathon bombing, the afternoon after they found the guy hiding in a boat the night before, when Big Papi uttered the now iconic words "This is our f***ing city." Just happened to have tickets for the game. It was pretty freaking incredible.

A bunch of buddies of mine had partial season tickets to the phillies after we graduated from the University of Delaware. We were in the Vet, just a terrible stadium. I can't remember how many fights I saw in there. My favorite one was where a couple of idiots got into it right under the scoreboard in the outfield of the 700 level. We watched them as the tumbled down the empty seats toward the bottom of the upper deck. There was a moment where everyone in the stadium wondered if they were going to roll all the way down and over the rail. They didn't but it was exciting to watch.

One time a buddy bet everyone that he could eat nine hot dogs in nine innings on dollar hot dog night. He was cruising through it but I think the decision to put spicy mustard on all of them caught up with them. He got to seven, them stopped talking to everyone and just sat there for an inning. ended up puking it up into a souvenir soda cup that was likely somebody else's. I still remind him of that to this day.

I went to my first, love, pro game when I was about ten years old. Saw the A’s in Oakland. Asked my dad to get me a foul ball. Within a few innings, a ball comes our way, my dad grabs it, and I still have it forty years later. Cherished memory.

Not sure what else happened during the game.

I was at the game in SF when Bonds tied and broke Willie Mays’ home run record. I was also at the game at Oakland when he tied Babe Ruth. Very surreal. I highly doubt we will ever see another player like him in our lifetime.

Opening Day Baby!!! Hope springs eternal and another season of memories to be made.

Go Jays!!!

So, post your fondest baseball memories. Or, if you post something else, you can suck my balls.
Where do I even begin?

- 2003: I go to my first ever game, at Shea Stadium. I am 6 years old and despite the game getting called in the 6th or 7th inning for rain, I have the time of my life.

- 2005/2006: First year of kid pitch in the local little league. I am mainly a catcher (because I was obese), and a certain celebrity director’s son decides to talk shit while he’s at bat. The first time I ever get called in as a reliever a few innings later, my first AB is against that celebrity’s son (whereupon I make him sing sweet chin music). The director tried to get me banned, but I won on Baseball Law. I may have only been 9 years old, but I apparently was born with an innate understanding of Baseball Justice.

- 2007: My little league has its “stadium day” on the day Clemens announces his return to the Yankees.

- Summer 2009: I go to the HOF induction with my dad. We wind up becoming really friendly with Dave Henderson, who was a super nice man. I got to meet a lot of baseball heroes and get a bunch of autographs: Whitey Ford, Fergie Jenkins, Bob Feller, Art Shamsky, and Tom Seaver among others. Whitey, Feller, and Seaver probably the most meaningful non-Hendu ones.

- 2009: about a year and change before he ultimately passed, I watch the entire Yankees WS run with my grandpa (despite being a diehard Mets fan, he loved baseball and NY more than anything).

- 2015: First three months of my freshman year of college, I put two college bookies out of business betting the Mets WS run.

- 2016: Freshman year, I run into ARod on 65th and Madison while I’m smoking a joint with friends. I ask for a picture, forgetting I still had a funky cigarette in my hand, and he goes “watch that thing man, I don’t do drugs.” Without skipping a beat, I go “buddy you told that same lie to Francesa”. He stormed away but I got the picture.

- 2016: My longtime cantor sings the national anthem at a Mets game. Idk if I can share my actual thoughts without getting banned, but imagine 250 upper east side geriatric Jews taking over an entire section along the 3rd base line. Straight outta Seinfeld.

- 2019: I’m required to write a major research paper in my media/film class to graduate college, and I somehow convince my professor to let me write about Mike Piazza’s post-9/11 home run.

- 2021: I meet my favorite radio host of all time, Steve Somers, at a Mets game. He is one of the first voices besides my parents I remember distinctly knowing as a young child. Especially since he had announced his retirement, it meant a lot.

- 2022-2023: I convince my Jurisprudence professor that I can write a killer law review piece/final paper about rulemaking in baseball (through the lens of gambling and sign-stealing “jurisprudence”). He relents, and I ultimately get the A.

- 2023: I discover a “law review journal,” The Green Bag. Published by attorneys equally as obsessed with baseball as I am, they commission bobble heads of SCOTUS justices and then randomly distribute redemption certificates for the same to subscribers. They also issue “Supreme Court Slugger” baseball cards, which I proudly display in my office. (To this end, if you’ve read this far and live in DC—I will pay for a nice dinner if you act as my proxy for redemption and save me a trip to DC… I’m entitled a bobble head!)

Baseball is the purest form of American exceptionalism. Baseball won us WWII—our grenades were manufactured to resemble baseballs in the palm, on the premise that every red-blooded American man learned from his father how to throw a baseball. I *will* be Commissioner one day, G-d willing, and I promise a return to tradition: every rule change after the advent of Interleague Play is an affront to our Creator. (I’d also have suspended Ohtani indefinitely by now). If you hate baseball, you hate America—and I hate you. Simple as!

I’m 6 years old. My dad, who hates driving, makes the 3 hour trek down to Yankee Stadium for my first baseball game. I’ve got my glove, my jersey, my hat - I’m beyond excited.

We get to the Stadium. It’s Yankees/Sox. It’s also bat day. Every fan gets an 18 inch wooden commemorative bat.

This is the 70s. It’s the Bronx Zoo days.

By the end of the third, we’re leaving. Several people have been beaten and are bloodied. Fights have erupted everywhere.
I missed this piece—immediately reminded me of a major memory from my childhood.

I will never forget the first time I found The Kid From Brooklyn. Had to have been 2005/2006ish. A radical shift in my humor occurred that day.

EDIT: NSFW

My dad took me and my brother to our first Red Sox game at Fenway in the late 1970s. The George Brett-era Royals jumped out to an early 10-2 lead; I was crestfallen. The BoSox powered back to win 19-12. Never saw so many home runs in one game since. I thought all future games would be like that, but no.

My grandfather soon thereafter took me to our first game at the old Yankee Stadium. It was a total zoo. Everyonr trashed on a Sunday afternoon. Someone on the deck above us dropped their armful of food and beer down behind home plate, which just missed us but not our neighbors.

Back at Fenway c. 1980, we sat behind third base, where Butch Hobson was having a historically terrible season in the field. Error after error. There was a wasted guy a couple rows ahead of us who spent the whole game trashing Hobson at the top of his lungs. I learned a lot of new swear-words that afternoon. Nowadays he’d get booted but no one came to tell him to cool it.

My favorite game—featuring my favorite play ever—I saw only on TV. Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS vs the Yankees. Sox facing a humiliating sweep down one run.

Two outs in the 9th, down one run, pinch runner Dave Roberts on 1st, Mariano on the mound.

Every human on the field and in the stands and watching at home knows Roberts is going to attempt a steal.

Great throw from Posada but Roberts gets his hand under the tag. The rest is history.

Last edited:
My dad took me and my brother to our first Red Sox game at Fenway in the late 1970s. The George Brett-era Royals jumped out to an early 10-2 lead; I was crestfallen. The BoSox powered back to win 19-12. Never saw so many home runs in one game since. I thought all future games would be like that, but no.

My grandfather soon thereafter took me to our first game at the old Yankee Stadium. It was a total zoo. Everyonr trashed on a Sunday afternoon. Someone on the deck above us dropped their armful of food and beer down behind home plate, which just missed us but not our neighbors.

Back at Fenway c. 1980, we sat behind third base, where Butch Hobson was having a historically terrible season in the field. Error after error. There was a wasted guy a couple rows ahead of us who spent the whole game trashing Hobson at the top of his lungs. I learned a lot of new swear-words that afternoon. Nowadays he’d get booted but no one came to tell him to cool it.

My favorite game—featuring my favorite play ever—I saw only on TV. Game 4 of the 2004 ALCS vs the Yankees. Sox facing a humiliating sweep down one run.

Two outs in the 9th, down one run, pinch runner Dave Roberts on 1st, Mariano on the mound.

Every human on the field and in the stands and watching at home knows Roberts is going to attempt a steal.

Great throw from Posada but Roberts gets his hand under the tag. The rest is history.
Next year opening day at Fenway vs yanks was epic pre game

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom