Anyone trying to get new Nvidia 3000 Series RTX Graphics Cards? (1 Viewer)

Ok. If you are doing basic gaming (like me) there is nothing wrong with hooking up the HDMI cable to your TV and using that. Can save you a lot.

Ok. If you are doing basic gaming (like me) there is nothing wrong with hooking up the HDMI cable to your TV and using that. Can save you a lot.

The problem with tv's is they aren't designed for gaming PCs, depending on the game played and the tv you may experience blurring or ghosting in some games I believe

If you are gaming at 1080p yeah, get a card with 6-8gb of ram and a 6-8 core cpu, 16gb of ram and I highly recommend m.2 SSDs they are so fast

Will try to slap a list together sunday for ya

Lol if he hasn't had a pc in awhile I think just a SSD would be plenty!

I can contribute my 1070 at a discount as well since I'm retiring that bad boy.

Actually I can probably do two 24in monitors as well. I'm looking to switch from my 3 setup to just two 27 in ones

Lol if he hasn't had a pc in awhile I think just a SSD would be plenty!

I can contribute my 1070 at a discount as well since I'm retiring that bad boy.

That's a solid card for 1080p and 1440p gaming as well

I may have some DDR4 RAM new in box I can get him as well

The problem with tv's is they aren't designed for gaming PCs, depending on the game played and the tv you may experience blurring or ghosting in some games I believe
I don't experience any of that - and my card is a 8gb rx 480 (I know dirt old but still perfect for me). I think that was a software issue several years ago that the companies figured out.

I think its usually tv settings
I always thought it was a software issue since nowadays the pc parts manufacturers make the graphics for console systems, but anyways I am thinking a 3600 on a 450 board with a rx 5700 will keep him happy for years. What's your thoughts?

EDIT : Skip the 5700 if he can have that 1070.

I always thought it was a software issue since nowadays the pc parts manufacturers make the graphics for console systems, but anyways I am thinking a 3600 on a 450 board with a rx 5700 will keep him happy for years. What's your thoughts?

EDIT : Skip the 5700 if he can have that 1070.

I might bump to the 3700x depending on price so he can go 8 cores instead of 6

I would get a B550 board, think it will serve him better down the road with any upgrades

I might bump to the 3700x depending on price so he can go 8 cores instead of 6

I would get a B550 board, think it will serve him better down the road with any upgrades
Lol I feel like that is overkill if you haven't used a PC in awhile... No need for 8 cores, no streaming/simulation/heavy rendering...

I'm thinking we should aim down not up

The real question is if he has a microcenter nearby!

Like a 10400 blows my 1700x out with single core perf on stock settings which I'm upgrading from and I actually do streaming / large data sets...

Basic gaming? I used to counter strike n guild wars. But doubt it would be too out there. I would guess any basic dedicated GFX card would handle my needs.
COUNTER STRIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been playing that game since Half-Life came out. It's actually the only online game I've ever played. Been building PC for a long while now. To play that game you can get away with something as basic and cheap as a 1060ti. Personally, I use a 1440p 165hz monitor and still use a 1080ti, which is fine for my needs right now. With Ryzen being a thing you could get anything with 6 cores and up and be in good shape. A B550 mobo would do just fine with 16gb @ 3200mhz ram. Get the best GPU you can afford, try to get at minimum 6gb. If you want to dabble in some AAA titles, you're gonna want more than that 6gb.

Lol I feel like that is overkill if you haven't used a PC in awhile... No need for 8 cores, no streaming/simulation/heavy rendering...

Like a 10400 blows my 1700x out with single core perf on stock settings which I'm upgrading from and I actually do streaming / large data sets...

I just know I was psyched with 4 cores three years ago and now meh

I think 6 core will hit that feeling soon as well and 8 core will be the norm. If the price difference isn't much prob a good upgrade

I agree that 8 cores is overkill, but no intel part is worth what they charge for it, which is why I stuck with AMD. AMD processors are cheaper, AMD boards are cheaper, and while yes Intel will give you more processing power, he doesn't need it (99% of people don't) and let's save our buddy some money here.

As far as microcenter, never used them. I always do my part shopping on newegg. Not saying anything bad about microcenter. Just never used them.

COUNTER STRIKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Been playing that game since Half-Life came out. It's actually the only online game I've ever played. Been building PC for a long while now. To play that game you can get away with something as basic and cheap as a 1060ti. Personally, I use a 1440p 165hz monitor and still use a 1080ti, which is fine for my needs right now. With Ryzen being a thing you could get anything with 6 cores and up and be in good shape. A B550 mobo would do just fine with 16gb @ 3200mhz ram. Get the best GPU you can afford, try to get at minimum 6gb. If you want to dabble in some AAA titles, you're gonna want more than that 6gb.
You realize I dabbled with counter strike (couldn't get into it) with my 1700x on a 320 board? A 550 is overkill for this.

@Anthony Martino remember to add to that list one of those "Xbox controller for PC" boxes. If he is used to consoles he will need a controller and that will get him the USB dongle to pair any Xbox One controller wirelessly. I LOVE MINE!

I mean a 10400 is $160 is my point, half price of a 3700x and $40 cheaper than a 3600. I feel like outside of application specific usage I don't even use more than 4 cores NOW.

And I have AMD currently, and as part of my upgrade I am getting a 5600k.

But comparing 3600 at $200, and 3700x at $300, I'd still recommend the i7-9700k if you can get from microcenter at $220. The value is there even if AMD is killing it on new launches.

The problem with tv's is they aren't designed for gaming PCs, depending on the game played and the tv you may experience blurring or ghosting in some games I believe.
This is true, but not a dealbreaker and not as bad as some would have you believe. Depends what you wanna play. I have a room that has my monitor and TV (from 2008 still) and use it for everything, I'm using it to write this. It can display 4.4.4 chroma, this is important, otherwise shit will look funny, Trust me. If it's not a super fast reaction game, gaming on TV is fine, but you'll experience some tearing most likely, especially if you go above 60fps on a regular basis. I use my monitor for most games, but when I want the surround sound on couch experience I sit my ass on the couch and game. Something like Resident Evil, or something like that.

You realize I dabbled with counter strike (couldn't get into it) with my 1700x on a 320 board? A 550 is overkill for this.
Yep, B550 is overkill, but I would go cheaper than a B550 board, especially if you're gonna get a new Ryzen CPU. PCIE4.0 is a thing now and 3.0 will become a bottleneck sometime soon.

My favorite was "day of defeat" when it was the mod. Those were the days..... First models of team fortress off the Quake engine. Diablo 2 and starcraft. Haha... It's been a while.

Console peasantry???!! Nay sir, I SAY NAY!
I am telling you man, once he realizes that on a pc he can use emulators to play all the old games he grew up playing again ........ That is why I love mine. The Genesis and PS1 emulators see more run time than everything else combined for me.

"still use a 1080ti"

You're saying it like that GPU doesn't still kick ass lol.

@Anthony Martino remember to add to that list one of those "Xbox controller for PC" boxes. If he is used to consoles he will need a controller and that will get him the USB dongle to pair any Xbox One controller wirelessly. I LOVE MINE!
Xbone controller and a NVME drive are a must! Controller will be useful for some games.

Yep, B550 is overkill, but I would go cheaper than a B550 board, especially if you're gonna get a new Ryzen CPU. PCIE4.0 is a thing now and 3.0 will become a bottleneck sometime soon.
PCI 3.0 is only a bottleneck a 4K. He doesn't even own a 4K tv yet (probably too busy snorting clay dust from milling to bother with 4K).

PCI 3.0 is only a bottleneck a 4K. He doesn't even own a 4K tv yet (probably too busy snorting clay dust from milling to bother with 4K).
It's as fair point. Still, B550 board are not uber expensive and more ready for these news chips and have some extra useful things over the entry level boards.

Hell, I'm still using a 1080p TV from 2008, but I upgraded my monitor a few years ago to 1440p and couldn't be happier. DP to monitor and a 25ft HDMI routed to the TV and toggle between the two or use both at once. Never need anything other than a internet service to watch anything you want. There are ways ;)

My favorite was "day of defeat" when it was the mod. Those were the days..... First models of team fortress off the Quake engine. Diablo 2 and starcraft. Haha... It's been a while.
Those days were awesome. Still using AOL Online to connect lol. Team Fortress was a lot of fun. Haven't played that in over 20 years. Wtf... feeling old. I play CSGO now and these young whipper snappers wall banging and shit lol. The need a separate server for the 40 and up vets :)

No stress. I'm watching the browns game. This will be painful enough with zero WRs....

Alright, slapped this together quick, includes a monitor, keyboard and mouse, usb wifi device and speakers with a subwoofer. Most of these are just base level stuff, upgrade as you see fit. Went with the 6-core Ryzen 3600 since it's not close enough in price to the 8-core 3700 model to jump up in price.

Also included a fully modular power supply, so you don't have as much cable mess because you're only attaching the cables you need. You can download Windows 10 installation from the Microsoft website and create a USB install on a spare USB drive you have. You should be able to find a windows 10 key on eBay for a lot cheaper than what Microsoft charges (if you need a key I might have a spare one kicking around I can send)

https://secure.newegg.com/wishlist/pd/34440952

No graphics card included, that 1070 for $150 is a GREAT deal and you'll get a ton of gaming out of that card at 1080p.

Also, didn't include any RAM, I have this set that came with a bundle I got that I haven't opened and I'm not using that you can just have if you want:

OLOy WarHawk RGB 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 3600 (PC4 28800) Desktop Memory Model ND4U1636181DCWDX - Newegg.com

Just DM me the address to ship them to.

update: also forgot to mention some of these items are on promotions for the next 2-5 days so prices may jump up a bit on some of them

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom