Alzheimer's Breakthrough and Request for Donations (1 Viewer)

Mrs Poker Zombie

Flush
Site Vendor
Reaction score
In 2008 I lost my mother, Meg, to Alzheimer's. Technically, that is when her body lost the battle. I lost the person she was years prior as the disease chipped away at her mind.

When my father, Don, died in early 2001, I started talked to my mom every third day (PZ is a fire fighter; calling on shift means not forcing him to deal with potentially very long mother-daughter phone calls). I am not really sure when Alzheimer's started taking over - it's something I've thought a lot about, but it isn't easy to determine. Over the years of calls, they did go through a morphing process. Generally becoming shorter, confusing topics and paranoia, and some misused words. But overall, Meg was really good on the phone, so I was probably missing clues.

I'm making a long story even longer. Let me cut to the chase - ultimately my brother had Meg (and her dog) move in with him and his wife until a spot in a nursing home opened up (thank you Canada for taking care of the elderly!). In what became my last visit to see her in person, October 2007, she didn't know who I was at first. Thankfully, she did recognize me for at least part of that trip. A funny line was when she and I were walking around the floor of the nursing home and she said, "Isn't this lovely, can you imagine living her?". I smiled and said, "That's great Mom, let's see if they can give you a room".

I wish she had been the mother I remembered during that last trip. Heck, as I said, I lost her years prior. Which is what leads me to wanting to share a recent breakthrough.

Researchers have known for years that Alzheimer's is associated with a sticky substance called "beta-amyloid" that accumulates in the brain and creates plaque (its not just for teeth anymore). People with Alzheimer's also have neurofibrillary tangles (twisted proteins in the brain's neurons). However, this has been a chicken or the egg guess of which came first. Thanks to a few researchers at Harvard medical School and Massachusetts General Hospital, we now know the amyloid comes first. If we can stop the amyloid, we can stop the tangles that does the damage we call "dementia"!

I envision a world where no one else has to lose a loved one to this horrific disease. I would appreciate it if you donated to my Walk to End Alzheimer's occurring on October 15th.

http://act.alz.org/goto/elindsay

Thank you,
Liz

Liz, are you willing to take PayPal donations from us and add them to the site yourself?

Thanks for the sharing some of your Mom's history. My paternal Grandmother and my Dad both had it. Terrible stuff. He used to try and get the names of us kids right, but it just frustrated him when things wouldn't click. He was definitely a very sharp fellow, but over time he moved more and more to silence. Sometimes he thought he was in different places he had previously visited, and couldn't figure out how he got there so quickly. A bridge, smokestack, or building would remind him of another location. The genes are strong in my family, and you would swear pictures of my younger Dad were pictures of me. I hope that playing poker gives me a bit of a barometer to watch for any changes in my own health. I'm glad to donate to the cause. Thanks for walking, Liz. See you in a couple weeks....

I know it comes too late to help your mom, but know that there is progress being made. In her work at a university lab up here, my wife has been developing a complex dietary supplement that's shown promise in slowing the progress of neurological diseases (including Alzheimer's, ALS, and Parkinson's). It's been a long process, but they're hoping to get approved for human trials within the next year or so.

Thanks for the sharing some of your Mom's history. My paternal Grandmother and my Dad both had it. Terrible stuff. He used to try and get the names of us kids right, but it just frustrated him when things wouldn't click. He was definitely a very sharp fellow, but over time he moved more and more to silence. Sometimes he thought he was in different places he had previously visited, and couldn't figure out how he got there so quickly. A bridge, smokestack, or building would remind him of another location. The genes are strong in my family, and you would swear pictures of my younger Dad were pictures of me. I hope that playing poker gives me a bit of a barometer to watch for any changes in my own health. I'm glad to donate to the cause. Thanks for walking, Liz. See you in a couple weeks....

Thank you for sharing and your generous donation. Playing poker is good for preventative as well, so long as you keep learning and making new pathways. Hey.... time for a new game! ;)

Thank you for sharing and your generous donation. Playing poker is good for preventative as well, so long as you keep learning and making new pathways. Hey.... time for a new game! ;)

The key is to keep adding new games to your dealer's choice list!

Circus games to thwart Alzheimer's!

Donation incoming.

I have a speech today at Toastmaster's about this breakthrough, throwing in some facts and a couple stories about my mom. I think it went well. I also saw a donation come in afterwards. Thank you all for your support!

Thanks for sharing and the walk. Please pm pp address.

Thank you to everyone that helped me reach my goal. The walk is in a little less than two weeks if you would like to help, there is still time. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom