What's the most you have spent on a set? (1 Viewer)

Some of my larger and/or more expensive sets:

$500 for five hundred antique bone chips ($1/chip)
$500 for four thousand Spirit Molds ($0.12/chip)
$1000 for two thousand Chipco ceramics from Monte Carlo ($0.50/chip)
$4000 for two thousand Starbursts ($2/chip)

My other twelve sets are a lot smaller, or a lot cheaper, or both. I've spread my collecting budget across a variety of different, interesting (to me) sets rather than sinking a ton of money into a few premium sets.

... but maybe that will change in the coming years. There's a lot of premium sets I've got my eye on, and it's just a matter of time until I can dedicate the budget to them. Maybe. We'll see. I'm not in a hurry.

I honestly can't remember what I paid. I want to say everything I've ever gotten has been around $1/chip, but I haven't bought anything in over ten years. I'll see if I can dig up what I paid, though in some ways I don't want to know.

Just over $4000 including plaques, dice, cut cards, hotel keys, dealer buttons, other jetons and still looking to find excuses to make more useless denominations. Not sure if it's a chiptool addiction or chipping addiction. But it keeps sucking me back in.

I am such a novice, the highest I paid for a set are just under $1k for a set of used PCA set 600 chip set with 70+ extra spare denomination

And the rest of my chipsets are build under $1/chip budget

I don’t included the shipping cost & PP cost as it will not be a fair reflection on the cost
FINE!
Update: I've spent $5,675.78 - 322 = 5352.78 on chips (4.95 per chip) :cool

Ritz, around 6.5K
1658328973259.jpeg

Assembled over 4-5 yrs

Last edited:
I am interested to see how they look like? I going to assume they look like Ivory Chip?
See for yourself! :)

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/oldest-playable-chipset-on-pcf.84070/#post-1723543

They look somewhat different from ivories, in that ivories are usually intricately carved and these are very plain (but not completely plain; I think the double-ring design is actually quite handsome). Also ivories aren't usually fully dyed like these, because ivories usually have the denominations carved into them so there's no need for different denoms to be different colors.

However, the construction is remarkably similar to ivories, i.e. they're turned from the original material into cylinders then sliced into discs, then carved. I think these were carved by machine whereas ivories are usually hand-carved. These were also made later than most ivories; this set dates to the 1910s whereas most ivory chips you can find date from the late 1800s, I think.

Most bone chips you can find these days are in small lots, not playable sets, and most of them are very plain. This example here is similar to what I've seen on eBay in the past few years: https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/bones-chips-and-plaques-any-value.91292/#post-1881804

However, sometimes you can find bone chips and plaques that are more ornate, similar to ivories. Here are some examples from Robert Eisenstadt: http://www.antiquegamblingchips.com/BoneDesign.htm

And finally, for completeness, here are some typical ivory designs: http://www.oldpokerchips.com/IVORY/IDobjectsMM.htm - click on the different categories at the top of the page to see many different types of designs.

The bone chips I have feel very much like ivories, and both bone and ivory feel very different from any other poker chip material I've handled. They feel amazing. They're extremely smooth and very hard, and have a very satisfying "clink" sound. You can easily tell the difference between bone and ivory, though, by looking at them - bone chips have a grain to them that looks like small flecks, whereas ivory chips have a grain made up of wavy lines, and also usually have a small round flaw where the nerve runs through the center of the tusk / tooth. The grain in both cases is entirely visual, though; it doesn't affect how smooth the surface feels.

Bone:
1658329051009.png

Ivory:
1658326185928.png

Last edited:
$205 on a crown & dice 1000 chip set. Needed to fend off the urges while I finish a doctorate, this allows me to be a halfstep up from dice chips... while also having a good excuse to get a cash set in the future.
This is a journey Sir! Literally maybe 5% of these guys went straight to high end chips! The rest of us all started down the ladder and worked up. I still have my forst set, I think 500 chips with the case cost me like $120 about 20 years ago. Everyone else was running dice chips back then in our area and I played in several league games. But any home games I would get the invite followed by "can you bring the heavy chips with the denominations on them?"
20210329_223359.jpg

This set suited our needs for many years before we found this place and realized our chips were NOT that awesome afterall!

So enjoy your journey, congratulations on the first set and can't wait to see em in play sir! Chin up bro, you purchased a set of your "own damn poker chips!" Don't come around here with drooped shoulders because they aren't quite as cool or rare as other sets. Many of these guys have been collecting for years!

Good Luck woth the Doctorate, before long you will be able to afford the big boys sets that most of us blue collars unfortunately can't compete on anymore!

Happy Firday and again congratulations on the purchase!

Fellow Chipper Ben

What ever happened to the Olivia’s? Those were great chips that I feel have been lost to the sands of time…(or the depths of Europe).
Definitely seen a pic of a playable set of those recently, but can't remember who posted them. Definitely beautiful for RHCs! Those $5s are sick!!

Wait wait wait wait……. Y’all are keeping spreadsheets and totals????

Y’all wild :LOL: :laugh:

My approach, just gonna send it…

To answer OP…. Im building a mixed hot stamp THC set in 2022…. So I’ll get back to ya in about a decade with my total. If todays prices are any indication, this set will be about 600 chips for $60,000,000 :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Plus some IOU’s for behind closed door favors… :ninja:

Wait wait wait wait……. Y’all are keeping spreadsheets and totals????

Y’all wild :LOL: :laugh:

My approach, just gonna send it…

To answer OP…. Im building a mixed hot stamp THC set in 2022…. So I’ll get back to ya in about a decade with my total. If todays prices are any indication, this set will be about 600 chips for $60,000,000 :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Plus some IOU’s for behind closed door favors… :ninja:
1659115553436.gif

Everyone else was running dice chips back then in our area and I played in several league games. But any home games I would get the invite followed by "can you bring the heavy chips with the deno
Everyone is my area is either using EPT ceramic or Las Vegas Metal Slugged, at that time I felt so special owning a set of China Clay Milano

That’s was way before I found PCF. Good old times

So enjoy your journey, congratulations on the first set and can't wait to see em in play sir! Chin up bro, you purchased a set of your "own damn poker chips!" Don't come around here with drooped shoulders because they aren't quite as cool or rare as other sets. Many of these guys have been collecting for years!
Well said bro, I couldn’t say it better myself

Don’t be shy about posting them when using the new set

If we're counting straight cash outlay, then it'd have to be my Big Tops, especially after adding on the final rack of $5s.

If we're talking cash & trade outlay, then it's the Fat Hats at the bottom by a smidge...

1659119101432.png

As far as bang for the buck goes, I still don't think anything will ever come close to the Aurora Star cash set.

If we're counting straight cash outlay, then it'd have to be my Big Tops, especially after adding on the final rack of $5s.

If we're talking cash & trade outlay, then it's the Fat Hats at the bottom by a smidge...

View attachment 957828

As far as bang for the buck goes, I still don't think anything will ever come close to the Aurora Star cash set.
I beg to differ. ;) If you don’t know………YOU SHOULD!
CB92F272-094A-4676-9321-E3D794D4EE85.jpeg
7CD74230-4F8B-4214-8BFC-B91C645ACF4A.jpeg

I adore these. Never been able to build a playable set. If these were cash chips I would’ve gone broke on the chase a long time ago.
You had a hand in some of these back on CT...not sure if you recall, there was a split going on a set where being the good samaritan i paid for someones share.
He fucked me around for ages with re-payment until i reached out to you. thnx again Uncle Carmine.
Cash games are the go.

Last edited:
My first "big purchase" was more than I thought I would ever spend on poker chips: about $400 on a Desert Palms CC tourney set. My local group freaked out a little when I told them how much I'd spent.

Since then, the biggest single purchase I've made was about $4500. I've had my eye on a few more expensive sets lately, but with current market conditions, I'm shifting focus to that big CPC cash set that I've wanted for years.

It will definitely be the set I am working on now. Started going one direction, then shifted thoughts. Then I was drinking tequila thinking....why not do secondaries and include both sets of chips.

How much? I refuse to total it up that way I can honestly tell my wife that I don't know how much the set cost. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 898920View attachment 898921
The cost inched up a couple hundred dollars with the addition of the radiant red fracs. My math has me at $2000 total. :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

20220616_123146.jpg
20220616_130908.jpg

My Dragons are the most pricey set I have given I have a lot of them.... over 1600 probably averaging $3 each.

Some are pictured here, mostly in the lower left, as they get an oil touch up on the rolling edge:

64152695-865F-43AE-9EE2-F411D5D06569.jpeg

Better pic of some of the faces:

417F2A31-7FC2-4135-AA16-57E151282803.jpeg

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom