The horrors of moving (1 Viewer)

IMG_5333.jpeg

DMack can’t pass up an opportunity to denigrate anything associated with liberals or Democrats. It’s like he’s a bot.
My pArEnTs SaW tHe CoMiE-CaLiFoRnIa cOmIn aNd GoT tHe FaM oUt

Fairly new chipper here - the stories here and thought of moving with a lot of chips makes me shudder. Especially since my moves typically take me across the Atlantic. I suppose boats are always possible?

My family got out of there a long time ago. Credit to my parents that recognized the shift. Way ahead of their time.

Now, we are seeing our California brethren flocking here. Problem is, they quickly forget what they are fleeing, and they are quickly turning our haven into the cesspool they’re fleeing. It’s unbelievable, really.
Reminds me of early American colonials. “We want x”. Get to the US. Restrict x.

My pArEnTs SaW tHe CoMiE-CaLiFoRnIa cOmIn aNd GoT tHe FaM oUt
My fam didn’t have the money to buy a big cabin in the woods to get away from it all, but continue to shine the big signal to champion for those they were getting away from.

My fam didn’t have the money to buy a big cabin in the woods to get away from it all, but continue to shine the big signal to champion for those they were getting away from.
So like a big bat signal for red blooded M'uricans?

This thread is "the horrors of moving thread". It is discussing chips not reasons why we left. Don't turn this political. I came to read a thread that a good old friend @Psypher1000 wrote. Not hear about politics. Let's leave it at that.

Thread Crapping - v. Thread Crapping occurs when a person comes into a thread and posts something contrary to the spirit/intent of the thread, often derailing the discussion or turning it into an argument.

Our last move was 6 years ago and it was only a 20 minute drive away. We moved all of the small and valuable stuff ourselves over a few days. Then hired a moving company for the the big stuff.

Moving is a great opportunity to get rid of a lot of crap you don’t really need that you somehow keep accumulating and to update things that you are replacing.

I have moved 4 times. The first time I was able to pack everything I owed into the back of my SUV. Everything I bought new and had it delivered. My friends and I played Madden on folding chairs waiting around for all the delivery companies to show up that day, by far the easiest move of them all lol.

@Psypher1000 - Scott, Where to???

My last move was in February of 2019. I had all my belongings in a storage unit and a couple of large PODS. I had sold the house that I lived in with my late wife and was ready to try a new start. I had most of the items in those storage units and pods for several months until my new home was being built. I highly recommend using movers!!! Used movers for the stuff in the storage unit and then had them deliver the PODS which was great because you can empty at your own pace.

I am not sure I will move again but if I do, I will do it this way again

My last move was back home to take care of momma, when my dad died. I moved my guns, chips and clothes (pain in the ass), then had my daughters go through and take what they want. Put a free sign out for everything else. And then called 800 junk place to clean the rest out. Moving 15k plus chips from a third floor condo sucked.

Haven’t moved in 28 years but thinking of downsizing. I don’t know if it’s worth the hassle of moving. Especially with 12k chips and my complete league setup.

If I ever move again my only concern is “where are the poker tables going.”

Also my top consideration for any future move. Any new space must be able to accommodate a poker room and my table.

Accumulation… The real problem with being anywhere too long. When will we learn?

Outside of highly valuable items, I tend to incorporate a 5-Year Rule from my nomadic Army days, which saw a move every 3-4 years.

The gist of that rule is if I haven't seen it, worn it or touched it in five years before running across the item(s), it gets tossed or donated to a Goodwill.

This thread is "the horrors of moving thread". It is discussing chips not reasons why we left. Don't turn this political. I came to read a thread that a good old friend @Psypher1000 wrote. Not hear about politics. Let's leave it at that.

Thread Crapping - v. Thread Crapping occurs when a person comes into a thread and posts something contrary to the spirit/intent of the thread, often derailing the discussion or turning it into an argument.
season 3 GIF

Also my top consideration for any future move. Any new space must be able to accommodate a poker room and my table.
100%. When we move the poker space will be my primary consideration when looking at homes. I've already told the wife we won't find anything suitable, so she should just plan on building (again).

Oh geez, I deliberately stay out of political discussion on PCF, mainly because I want to like you people. But I am most certainly guilty of my share of derailments :p.

@Psypher1000 - Scott, Where to???

My last move was in February of 2019. I had all my belongings in a storage unit and a couple of large PODS. I had sold the house that I lived in with my late wife and was ready to try a new start. I had most of the items in those storage units and pods for several months until my new home was being built. I highly recommend using movers!!! Used movers for the stuff in the storage unit and then had them deliver the PODS which was great because you can empty at your own pace.

I am not sure I will move again but if I do, I will do it this way again
Not super far - just a couple hours south to Tucson. Definitely using movers. We used Camelback Movers the last time and they did a great job so going w/them again. It is unlikely that i'll move w/o movers ever again. They just make the whole damn thing easier.

I'm up over 20k chips at this point, 15k of which are boxed and the rest are in cases.

100%. When we move the poker space will be my primary consideration when looking at homes. I've already told the wife we won't find anything suitable, so she should just plan on building (again).

You will be surprised. There are these amazing spaces in homes in the Midwest called “basements” where men take them over and turn them into a “man cave”. You may recall being in one at @Hornet Meetup.

You will be surprised. There are these amazing spaces in homes in the Midwest called “basements” where men take them over and turn them into a “man cave”. You may recall being in one at @Hornet Meetup.
Right. But to ensure the basement meets my very particular list of requirements......a new build might be necessary.

My plan is to retire in 10-12 years and move to a retirement home. I am thinking arson might be better than moving stuff. Bonus, you get to work out all day and eat bologna sandwiches with the guys.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom