The “Official”JeepologyOffroad HipHop thread (3 Viewers)

I was class of 1987 so you know Beastie Boys was our jam. My first hip hop concert was 1986 LL cool j, Whodini, Run Dmc at the Spectrum. Also got to see Biggie around 1993.
Around 2002 I became friends with Rudy Ray Moore aka Dolemite. He was a 2-4 player at the Palms poker room. He was there all the time and none of the squares knew who he was.

I noticed in the apology thread that @Rhodeman77 posted about the first album.he spent his own money on! Freaking awesome concept sir! Took me down memory road... I was born in 82 and can remember my first walk man and the very first tape I bought with my own earned money was
Lol I was still in elementary school... my mother had no idea what I had bought but saw a parental advisory on the cover of Color Me Bad... so she asked if we could listen ti it in the mini van! I had a cool ass mom that loved roller skating so we went rolling around with color me bad in the player for months!
My second tape didn't go as well
And yes pulling up this classic video I went ahead and spit if for Ms. @FordPickup92... I mean like 28 years later and still memorized I thought was impressive... her... not so much! Lmao

Man when Boyz II men cane out I believe that was literally when Cds hit the scene... I grew up poor as shit but my step grand father flew Airforce One for almost 40 years... while I didn't get much cool shit, I was one of the first kids with a Walkman CD player with the corded tape so you could play CDs through the tape player.. again in the wood paneled Doge Mini van... my Boyz II Men CD almost wore the blue off the face listening to that master piece beginning to end! Which included

Mom was cool with 90s R&B just never understood why she got so into TLC Red light Special till I got a little older... yup mama was a freak in the sheets... oh well.

We used to belt this one out together too!!

To finish my trip down memory road with my mama! This is pretty much her favorite song ever!

Sorry I mostly listened to mainstream pop & r&b

I noticed in the apology thread that @Rhodeman77 posted about the first album.he spent his own money on! Freaking awesome concept sir! Took me down memory road... I was born in 82 and can remember my first walk man and the very first tape I bought with my own earned money was
Lol I was still in elementary school... my mother had no idea what I had bought but saw a parental advisory on the cover of Color Me Bad... so she asked if we could listen ti it in the mini van! I had a cool ass mom that loved roller skating so we went rolling around with color me bad in the player for months!
And yes pulling up this classic video I went ahead and spit if for Ms. @FordPickup92... I mean like 28 years later and still memorized I thought was impressive... her... not so much! Lmao

Man when Boyz II men cane out I believe that was literally when Cds hit the scene... I grew up poor as shit but my step grand father flew Airforce One for almost 40 years... while I didn't get much cool shit, I was one of the first kids with a Walkman CD player with the corded tape so you could play CDs through the tape player.. again in the wood paneled Doge Mini van... my Boyz II Men CD almost wore the blue off the face listening to that master piece beginning to end! Which included

Mom was cool with 90s R&B just never understood why she got so into TLC Red light Special till I got a little older... yup mama was a freak in the sheets... oh well.

To finish my trip down memory road with my mama! This is pretty much her favorite song ever!

Love all of these, Ben.

My first two that I bought with my own (birthday) money were both Michael Jackson cassettes—Off the Wall and Bad. I was 7. My older cousin had them and I knew how cool he was.

The first CD that I bought was Pearl Jam Ten. My family didn’t even own a CD player at the time, so I would take it with me everywhere and listen at friends’ houses. It blew my mind, especially Release because, even at 11, I could really relate to it. It’s still one of my favorite songs...right up there with Skynyrd’s Simple Man.

Love all of these, Ben.

My first two that I bought with my own (birthday) money were both Michael Jackson cassettes—Off the Wall and Bad. I was 7. My older cousin had them and I knew how cool he was.

The first CD that I bought was Pearl Jam Ten. My family didn’t even own a CD player at the time, so I would take it with me everywhere and listen at friends’ houses. It blew my mind, especially Release because, even at 11, I could really relate to it. It’s still one of my favorite songs...right up there with Skynyrd’s Simple Man.
First band that pulled me from R&B roots... now my dad was classic rock! 100% everything else was shit! But Oasis was that band for me! Later in life working at a local concert venue in Maryland Called Meriweather Post Pavilion (awesome 5 years spent employed there) This as anyone who knows me is what I call my best day alive!! I got the good job for the night working back stage checking passes and Lead singer of Oasis William walks of of his shower But naked in the hall with 50 people out there... I told him he couldn't do that in the states... he wrapped a towel around him and said "hey man we are going to have an acoustic Jam... you wanna check it out?" So hmm $8 an hour or hang with what I considered rock Gods at the time... I chose to leave my position... the most awesome 30 minutes of just warm up music... followed by let's cross the hall for illegal drugs and a ridiculous pillow fight with THE BLaCk CROWs!

Their music was so loud in the dressing room it threw the main for all of back stage, all of us beating each other with couchcushions! The smoke was so thick you couldn't see even if the lights were on! These guys roll out of there straight into the stage like true rock stars... the opening band was SpAce Hog who's lead singer was dating Liv Tyler at the time, Kate Hudson's husband at the time was Chris Robinson... the lead singer of the Black Crowes... so the boys roll out on stage leaving me with these 2 women... Liv Tyler hurt her finger in the pillow fight and wanted neosporin and a band aid... everything calmed down and I realized shos company I was in... we chatted for a few and the ladies went out to the side if the stage...

I returned to my post and saw a man was now standing in the hall I hadn't seen earlier and asked to see his pass... he said no problem he was just checking out the show... his hair was cut short I didn't recognize until he told me his name was Dave Grohl... I had no idea he lived in maryland about 45 minutes from the venue... we talked for almost and hour, even after the show ended... I stood in this now empty hall way after everyone left for the meet and greet and realized I just had the most amazing night of my life, got paid and never got caught!!

Sorry for the book... sorry it's not hip hop, but damn if it wasn't an awesome night!!

I only seemed unimpressed because I was doing some educational reading on poker!!!

First band that pulled me from R&B roots... now my dad was classic rock! 100% everything else was shit! But Oasis was that band for me! Later in life working at a local concert venue in Maryland Called Meriweather Post Pavilion (awesome 5 years spent employed there) This as anyone who knows me is what I call my best day alive!! I got the good job for the night working back stage checking passes and Lead singer of Oasis William walks of of his shower But naked in the hall with 50 people out there... I told him he couldn't do that in the states... he wrapped a towel around him and said "hey man we are going to have an acoustic Jam... you wanna check it out?" So hmm $8 an hour or hang with what I considered rock Gods at the time... I chose to leave my position... the most awesome 30 minutes of just warm up music... followed by let's cross the hall for illegal drugs and a ridiculous pillow fight with THE BLaCk CROWs!

Their music was so loud in the dressing room it threw the main for all of back stage, all of us beating each other with couchcushions! The smoke was so thick you couldn't see even if the lights were on! These guys roll out of there straight into the stage like true rock stars... the opening band was SpAce Hog who's lead singer was dating Liv Tyler at the time, Kate Hudson's husband at the time was Chris Robinson... the lead singer of the Black Crowes... so the boys roll out on stage leaving me with these 2 women... Liv Tyler hurt her finger in the pillow fight and wanted neosporin and a band aid... everything calmed down and I realized shos company I was in... we chatted for a few and the ladies went out to the side if the stage...

I returned to my post and saw a man was now standing in the hall I hadn't seen earlier and asked to see his pass... he said no problem he was just checking out the show... his hair was cut short I didn't recognize until he told me his name was Dave Grohl... I had no idea he lived in maryland about 45 minutes from the venue... we talked for almost and hour, even after the show ended... I stood in this now empty hall way after everyone left for the meet and greet and realized I just had the most amazing night of my life, got paid and never got caught!!

Sorry for the book... sorry it's not hip hop, but damn if it wasn't an awesome night!!

Take the apology out of that post! Fucking cool story...would have kept reading if it went on for longer!

That’s cause it’s Smoe. Haha. I swear you watch one video then just keep watching them and next thing you know it’s 4am and you gotta get up soon.

That video is insane. The detail on the bricks and shadows is next level.

Great stuff. I haven’t pulled out my black-books In years. I am away from home for a couple months otherwise I would run some scans (actually surprised I haven’t digitized those yet). By the style it looks like you were writing in there same era I was in the mid-90’s. An acquaintance recently opened up the first museum of graffiti where I live in Miami. He is a Bronx native who was writing in the 80s into the 90s when the scene really developed and he went on to run art galleries so he was uniquely qualified to put this project together and it is definitely legit. If you ever pass through you should check it out.

I grew up in the hardcore/post-hardcore scene in the early 90s in the NE of the US and several of my friends were show runners. While I generally listened to all hip hip in that era, there was some crossover rap worth mentioning in that region and the hardcore show runners began doing some small shows for independent rappers like Sage Frances for example. I haven’t been a fan of much recent hip hop. One of my clients is a major rap producer, promoter, festival owner and I looked up some of his people who I met and I literally can’t listen to that stuff. I definitely feel like an old man now. I will listen to the more mellow 90s stuff like The Roots, De La Soul, Hieroglyphics crew, Camp Lo, Alkoholiks, etc frequently though.

I grew up in the hardcore/post-hardcore scene in the early 90s in the NE of the US and several of my friends were show runners. While I generally listened to all hip hip in that era, there was some crossover rap worth mentioning in that region and the hardcore show runners began doing some small shows for independent rappers like Sage Frances for example. I haven’t been a fan of much recent hip hop. One of my clients is a major rap producer, promoter, festival owner and I looked up some of his people who I met and I literally can’t listen to that stuff. I definitely feel like an old man now. I will listen to the more mellow 90s stuff like The Roots, De La Soul, Hieroglyphics crew, Camp Lo, Alkoholiks, etc frequently though.

Cool! I come from a punk/hardcore/metal background too from the mid/late-ish 80s to the early 90s in the SE. Always liked the hip hop and electro of the early 80s but didn’t really jump into hip hop until 90’ maybe. Still love both genres amongst others

@duffman was involved too in the NE

wasn’t sage Francis part of that 90s battle rap scene too? Like with eyedea brother Ali etc. name is familiar

wasn’t sage Francis part of that 90s battle rap scene too? Like with eyedea brother Ali etc. name is familiar

Yeah definitely. If I remember correctly I saw a couple shows with both of them performing as well as Canibal Ox. I’m a little hazy on my time period for that but somewhere around ‘96 I think. Also remember Ugly Duckling at a couple shows although that was a bit different than Sage and Ali. I wasn’t into this as much as I was the more mainstream but mellower hip hop. I was just around the guys doing those shows and was helping out a bit.

Last edited:
@BarrieJ3 might like this stuff since you were into that Dr. Octagon track.

Originally released as a one time vinyl only press of 1000 copies, knew I should’ve bought more than one lol. Standouts to me are 2wo,3hree, and 5ive which has some sinister 70’s retro futuristic police drama drum and bass vibes. Finally released digitally on Spotify earlier this year.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lTFOhk0kBRiA0eilFzCMTeoB5qJWdWbLU

And while, not considered hip hop at the time due to being released on Laurent Garnier’s electronic label F Communications, the next two tracks dirty breaks and squelchy analog bass lines are 100% hip hop IMO.

Sweet. Post some pics if you can. My crew and I were vabeach chapter of zulu nation
[some early work - 1997 in Amsterdam, the main halfpipe there in "Museum Square" (for those who know what a sick spot that was)
Max Graffiti Halfpipe copy.jpg

[2002, also in Amsterdam actually - vacation to visit my folks there]
Senz_AMS_Piece308.jpg

[Back home in NYC - this was 1998 on Bowery - in Chinatown]
Senz_BackOnBowery340.jpg

[Also Chinatown - 1999, I quoted De La Soul on top "Keepin' It Clean Like a Washing Machine"]
Senz_Chinatown_IMAX324.jpg

@BarrieJ3 might like this stuff since you were into that Dr. Octagon track.

Originally released as a one time vinyl only press of 1000 copies, knew I should’ve bought more than one lol. Standouts to me are 2wo,3hree, and 5ive which has some sinister 70’s retro futuristic police drama drum and bass vibes. Finally released digitally on Spotify earlier this year.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=OLAK5uy_lTFOhk0kBRiA0eilFzCMTeoB5qJWdWbLU

And while, not considered hip hop at the time due to being released on Laurent Garnier’s electronic label F Communications, the next two tracks dirty breaks and squelchy analog bass lines are 100% hip hop IMO.

Man it’s hard to go find stuff now to get into. It feels like I’ve been into what I was into, and now im just stuck in my taste that’s been developed.

That being said, those two Mr Oizo tracks are dope. I like when its recognizable as hiphop (of some form) plain as day, but also is it’s own thing entirely.

Soooo @RichMahogany just needs to share some of his saved playlists at this point, for the thread.

@RichMahogany the problem I run into is I find or found a song I love. On some used MP3 player I bought, or a random playlist, or playing new stations.

And I’m like damn this is gold, I found my new thing! But then I look it up and it turns out that was just a highlight. From the 3030 album to HelloHihey to Bas, I find an album or song or artist, but then either they didn’t produce more or it’s just not as good.

It’s a long journey.

And to complete my morning soliloquy here:

I was born in ‘89 out in Cali. So I grew up with a lot of the golden age hip hop mentioned here, with ATCQ and De La Soul getting radio play as the just older stuff, and nas/biggie/Tupac and all west coast/gangsta rap as main radio stays.

14-16 (2000) I found my rap music, stuff that was had recently come out. The production value was not the best, and the wordplay/delivery doesn’t match any of the best you can look up and find today. But at the time, it was people making music to make music, not necessarily hit the radio.

Some favorites from that time as a kid.

Last edited:
I feel like this is the perfect thread for me haha. Even though I'm pretty sure I am a lot younger than you guys I like to listen to all this kind of Hip Hop. I can agree that most of today's music isn't good at all and I'd much rather listen to the 90s Hip Hop over today's music anyday.

Another Logic fan, that's what I'm talking about!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom