Tempted to get a new truck (1 Viewer)

Was real close to getting the ram due to the nicer interior, but couldn't pass up using my uncle's GM employee discount

I hope this is my next vehicle. I *LOVE* them. I got a new car in 2017, and ended up going with the Highlander instead of the 4Runner, because the 4Runner didn't have all of the safety features yet. The Highlander is great, but it was a BIG MISTAKE (Highlander=soccer mom; 4Runner=outdoor warrior beast!). The 4Runner is just my true love. Should have gone with it.
Always liked the 4Runner... great SUV. Thought I was dead set on getting one when I was in the market for an SUV a couple of years ago.
After searching and test driving a bunch.. as much as I initially wanted the 4Runner, I ended up liking the Jeep Grand Cherokee more. Ended up with a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk edition (highly recommended - most bang for your buck).
At the same pricepoint, the GC was just a bit better in almost every way. Better interior, and creature comforts (heated and cooled seats!), better on road handling / comfort and at least as capable, if not more capable off road. More features and a better suspension.. the Quadra-Lift suspension system on the Trailhawk is fantastic. Adjustable ride height based on terrain (up to 10.8 inches clearance - more than the 4Runner) and has a parking mode that lowers the SUV for easier access, which is great for my wife who is a foot shorter than me. The Quadra Drive II traction system is awesome.
I have 75k on the Grand Cherokee now and no complaints... it has been great.
I'd recommend checking it out even if you are set on the 4Runner being your next ride.

I think that Ram's also recently won some awards for best luxury vehicle, for the higher end models of course.

I think that Ram's also recently won some awards for best luxury vehicle, for the higher end models of course.
It’s no joke, my Ram rides better and the interior is better than my Maserati. Craziness.

Love my ford! I have spent way way less on maintenance compared to the chevy’s I have owned. Pulls much better as well!
2C52A7B8-7212-4EC7-93BC-39ECA6A47E1F.jpeg

Always liked the 4Runner... great SUV. Thought I was dead set on getting one when I was in the market for an SUV a couple of years ago.
After searching and test driving a bunch.. as much as I initially wanted the 4Runner, I ended up liking the Jeep Grand Cherokee more. Ended up with a Grand Cherokee Trailhawk edition (highly recommended - most bang for your buck).
At the same pricepoint, the GC was just a bit better in almost every way. Better interior, and creature comforts (heated and cooled seats!), better on road handling / comfort and at least as capable, if not more capable off road. More features and a better suspension.. the Quadra-Lift suspension system on the Trailhawk is fantastic. Adjustable ride height based on terrain (up to 10.8 inches clearance - more than the 4Runner) and has a parking mode that lowers the SUV for easier access, which is great for my wife who is a foot shorter than me. The Quadra Drive II traction system is awesome.
I have 75k on the Grand Cherokee now and no complaints... it has been great.
I'd recommend checking it out even if you are set on the 4Runner being your next ride.
While I actually really like the Jeep GC, EVERY single person I've known who has owned that car has had gremlins. Two different people ended up with lemens and I borrowed one as a loaner for a long weekend and it broke down on me. Everyone else chased all kinds of problems. Maybe it is me, but that vehicle knows I'm tangentially related and goes poof!

Got a new Colorado in September, when the deals were very good. Love this truck.

2020 Colorado .jpg

I've driven Tundra Crew Max for past 11 years. Ride is good, interior is kinda basic or plain, but the resale value is phenomenal. I'm in a 2019 now, and see no reason to change. Unless a they make a dually........

Perhaps worth mentioning, as a few of my friends who are mechanics always point out, is that more important than brand is actually the combination of specific year, make, and models. In general, it's usually specific engines or specific transmissions that are problematic rather than Ford vs Chevy, etc. "Those 2008-2011 V6s always have head gasket problems".

Also worth mentioning is that you should probably avoid any Chrysler products produced between 1908 and 2028, as those years are notorious for needing to have the transmissions replaced annually.

Depending on the price and what I can get for my trade when the 2022 Tundra is available, I think it might be my next vehicle. (not the TRD Pro, a cheaper model)

View attachment 726500

View attachment 726502
Used car values are absolutely nuts right now so you should be in a great spot for the trade. Books keep going up and up

Supply might affect what kind of deal you get on the 22 though

Look into the 2022 Nissan Frontier. I think the new redesign looks very nice. Should come out later this year.

edit: wouldn’t be as big as a tundra though. I was thinking you were looking a a Tacoma.

Depending on the price and what I can get for my trade when the 2022 Tundra is available, I think it might be my next vehicle. (not the TRD Pro, a cheaper model)

View attachment 726500

View attachment 726502

The biggest question is how you are paying for it. I don't want to have the discussion of "paying the bank interest on a depreciating asset" again.

Look into the 2022 Nissan Frontier. I think the new redesign looks very nice. Should come out later this year.

edit: wouldn’t be as big as a tundra though. I was thinking you were looking a a Tacoma.

Yeah, I have a 2011 Tacoma. No issues with it. Has about 76K on it. It's been a great truck. Kids are bigger now and the back seat area is getting a bit tight so going to a full-size is the plan.

The biggest question is how you are paying for it. I don't want to have the discussion of "paying the bank interest on a depreciating asset" again.

Trade-in, maybe a little cash down, will have to finance the rest if I can get the price/payment I'm comfortable with. I don't need all the bells and whistles so I'll be looking at the lower/cheaper trim levels. Having more interior room is the main goal.

You have a depreciating asset either way, so that’s irrelevant.

Finance choice comes down to cost of financing vs opportunity cost. And financing is historically cheap right now

Not really irrelevant. If you don't buy you don't take a beating!
I meant irrelevant to paying cash vs financing decision, after one has decided they would like to buy a vehicle

I probably should have used the quote feature, I was responding to the “don’t pay interest on a depreciating asset”

We just put deposit $$ down on our first truck. Going with the Ford F-150 Lightning.
Ford is great. I have an F-150 as a company truck and love it. I have always had Fords due to the z-plan pricing although I have not purchased new since 2014. I think the days of purchasing new are over for me. The amount of depreciation is not as much as it was in the past with a max of 15% to an average of about 8% lost once driven off the lot. I will have to admit that this info makes it easier to buy new

I currently have that work truck and then I have a weekend car which is a Mustang. I keep threatening to sell it and get a classic car or truck but who knows. I have also had my eye on an Audi or BMW as well. I have no idea which way to and there is that one person that is trying to sell me an older 911 which is very nice and also a great deal.

In my eyes, I would hate to take on debt now since I have not had any in years. Cash is King!

I'm not really a truck guy, but I kinda want a Ford F-150 Lightning, but that 2022 Tundra looks great.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom