Tempted to get a new truck (1 Viewer)

Man this thread could evolve into a pissing match like no other. LOL. Yeah I don't really get the truck brand allegiance myself either. I get that you stick with what you like or what works best for you like any other vehicle but most truck drivers get so defensive of their brand. :p

I had a 2006 Nissan Titan SE for 10 years and absolutely loved it...all 9 miles/gal. LOL. I looked at all brands and chose the Nissan Titan based on interior space (huge) and hauling capacity never mind the better sticker price. When I tell people that I drive a Nissan truck, a lot of them were like, what kind of truck? :LOL: :laugh:

Last year I finally upgraded to a newer truck and decided to stick with the Titan but this time upgraded to the Pro4x4 model. Love it so far. And it hauls great because of the standard V8 engine. Maybe check them out?

B1930E56-88B3-4E9D-BACE-7B10D8F2AAF0.jpeg

I am still driving my 2002 Tacoma with the TRD. I bought it new and it is a champ. I had some regular work done a couple years ago and they gave me a new one to drive while the work was being done and I had the same upgrade thoughts. They even had the trade in paperwork ready "just in case". It was tempting, but I love my truck I'm not getting rid of it. When my kids are old enough to drive (2 more years... ugh) I may reluctantly get a new one, but until then I'll be riding easy in the ol' Taco!
That's what I did with my '01 Tundra. Gave it to my son when he turned 16 and upgraded mine. That was 4 years ago, and it's still running fine with 300k+ miles.

Man this thread could evolve into a pissing match like no other. LOL. Yeah I don't really get the truck brand allegiance myself either. I get that you stick with what you like or what works best for you like any other vehicle but most truck drivers get so defensive of their brand. :p
First, dont confuse liking a brand with rabid fan-boy-ness. I really like Ford trucks. I have nothing against other brands (except Honda, screw that toy LOL). Ford's styling, room, mechanical features, pricing, etc are part of my reason. The other reason is that I have owned 5 fords now and never had a problem. I am rabid about preventive maintenance and care. I drove my last truck 200K before giving to my son who drives it now. All brands and lines have problems, none are perfect. Most problems can be prevented. Buy what you like.

I had a 2006 Nissan Titan SE for 10 years and absolutely loved it...all 9 miles/gal. LOL. I looked at all brands and chose the Nissan Titan based on interior space (huge) and hauling capacity never mind the better sticker price. When I tell people that I drive a Nissan truck, a lot of them were like, what kind of truck? :LOL: :laugh:

Last year I finally upgraded to a newer truck and decided to stick with the Titan but this time upgraded to the Pro4x4 model. Love it so far. And it hauls great because of the standard V8 engine. Maybe check them out?

View attachment 627650

do I spy N-Fab steps?

i was on 3 Nissan vehicles in a row before I switched to the Tacoma, loved all of them (Altima -> Maxima -> Pathfinder), but I was in the market for a small truck and I don't (didn't) like the Frontier at all.

Reactions: 72o
First, dont confuse liking a brand with rabid fan-boy-ness. I really like Ford trucks. I have nothing against other brands (except Honda, screw that toy LOL). Ford's styling, room, mechanical features, pricing, etc are part of my reason. The other reason is that I have owned 5 fords now and never had a problem. I am rabid about preventive maintenance and care. I drove my last truck 200K before giving to my son who drives it now. All brands and lines have problems, none are perfect. Most problems can be prevented. Buy what you like.
Oh I get it. I was exaggerating a bit. But truck drivers are notorious for being snobby about their own brand...just because. I totally agree that every model/brand has their own issues to deal with.

do I spy N-Fab steps?

i was on 3 Nissan vehicles in a row before I switched to the Tacoma, loved all of them (Altima -> Maxima -> Pathfinder), but I was in the market for a small truck and I don't (didn't) like the Frontier at all.
Yes sir! Love the look of them. I don't use them to get in or out but when I drive people from work around, they don't like the placement of the steps...screw them, the truck isn't for them. :LOL: :laugh:

Yeah I have never been in a Frontier myself...don't even know anyone that has had one to be honest. I would have to think that the Tacoma is one of the best smaller sized pickups though.

Oh I get it. I was exaggerating a bit. But truck drivers are notorious for being snobby about their own brand...just because. I totally agree that every model/brand has their own issues to deal with.

Yes sir! Love the look of them. I don't use them to get in or out but when I drive people from work around, they don't like the placement of the steps...screw them, the truck isn't for them. :LOL: :laugh:

Yeah I have never been in a Frontier myself...don't even know anyone that has had one to be honest. I would have to think that the Tacoma is one of the best smaller sized pickups though.

haha yup, those steps just look good and they are useful for my kids. otherwise pointless on a Tacoma, but i love mine.

also i had to return my first pair for rusting, and they replaced them at no cost with shipping at their expense, so they have a customer for life.

(sorry for derailing)

• Love
I bought a brand new Silverado LT in 2015. I really like the truck the only issue I had was an injector problem, which warranty covered. I owned an 03 Silverado prior to the 15. I would recommend the undercoating if you go with Chevy, I did with the 15 and I see no indication of potential rust.

For the room mostly. I got the Tacoma before we had kids. Now with two car seats and my seat all the way back because I'm 6' 3" and need the leg room it's tight back there for them.
I have two car seats in the crew cab and I’m your height. The cab is very roomy.

Full size pickup is the way to go regards of brand. I've got a 2014 Tundra crew cab that has about 95k miles and still runs great. Only thing that broke so far that shouldn't have is my lock actuator. I refuse to pay $600 to fix that. Guzzle's gas like a mofo. I don't tow anything and my job is in accounting so I can't claim it's a work truck. Works great for dump runs though. I'll always own a pickup for sure. The telsa interests me but I wish it looked semi normal.

I am a ridgeline guy until I can get my hands on/afford a cybertruck.

Give them a look, I think they are a step up from a tacoma in ride performance, but still not a full size beast for every day driving. Word of warning, the gas milage sucks at 16 mpg for the 2014 and olders (much better on the gen 2's). Other than that, they are really well engineered if you don't want/need a full size.
I have a 2018 ridgeline and really enjoy most of it. The gas mileage and ride is fantastic. Not bouncy at all. All my gripes are minimal.

I have a 2020 Ram Limited and absolutely adore it. Unbelievable ride with the air suspension system. The interior is high end luxury with the leather and uconnect entertainment system. Back seats are extremely roomy. Great power. Amazing ride.

Interestingly enough, I also own a Maserati SUV. My pickup beats it in every category except for acceleration and the engine (the Maserati has a 430HP Ferrari powertrain). It’s fast and turns heads, but I’ll take my pickup any day.

I have a 2020 Ram Limited and absolutely adore it. Unbelievable ride with the air suspension system. The interior is high end luxury with the leather and uconnect entertainment system. Back seats are extremely roomy. Great power. Amazing ride.
Heard great things about the Dodge Ram’s. In my search they have always grade well.

I’m also in the market for a truck. I had a small Tacoma (manual) before my kids and had to get a 4 dr SUV (Santa Fe) but loved that truck and I’m pretty sure I would still have if it wasn’t for the kids.

As I’m looking, that Chevy TrailBoss looks awesome. Any truck I would get would have to be crew cab. But I’m open to any line of truck. Just need the most reliable and cost effective.

it also helps that I have a killer brother in law who is in sales at a multi brand dealership.

Last edited:
Heard great things about the Dodge Ram’s. In my search they have always grade well.

I’m also in the market for a truck. I had a small Tacoma (manual) before my kids and had to get a 4 dr SUV (Santa Fe) but loved that truck and I’m pretty sure I would still have if it wasn’t for the kids.

As I’m looking, that Chevy TrailBoss looks awesome. Any truck I would get would have to be crew cab. But I’m open to any line of truck. Just need the most reliable and cost effective.

it also helps that I have a killer brother in law who is sales at a multi brand dealership.
one thing I've noticed is that almost all trucks now are crew cabs. Maybe it's around here, but everytime I'm driving on the road I try and count the trucks that aren't basically 4 doors and I almost never see them.

Rams are great, not sure why the f150 out sells them by such a large margin. I have a 2014 that I bought used (1.5 year old) and its been great. Regular cab, v8 hemi, 6.5 foot bed, pretty good on gas, almost as good as my previous 4 cyl ranger. Great work truck.

Now I'm just waiting for my cybertruck, but probably won't get it until 2023 since my reservation number is past 250k.

That Silverado is a very nice looking Truck.
Sadly have no other input, our stupid small roads in the UK make them pretty daft choices :tdown: I'd love one!!
Y’all still got those 3-wheeled cars over there? Last I was in the UK was 1985, but there were a crap ton of them at that time.

Rams are great, not sure why the f150 out sells them by such a large margin. I have a 2014 that I bought used (1.5 year old) and its been great. Regular cab, v8 hemi, 6.5 foot bed, pretty good on gas, almost as good as my previous 4 cyl ranger. Great work truck.

Now I'm just waiting for my cybertruck, but probably won't get it until 2023 since my reservation number is past 250k.
Ford typically outsell because when you compare similarly equipped Ford, Chevy and Dodge trucks, the Fords are cheaper. Most people wont be diligent in maintenance or worry about long term durability so price point is all they care about (and color for people like my wife :whistle: :whistling: )

4runner, love it.

I hope this is my next vehicle. I *LOVE* them. I got a new car in 2017, and ended up going with the Highlander instead of the 4Runner, because the 4Runner didn't have all of the safety features yet. The Highlander is great, but it was a BIG MISTAKE (Highlander=soccer mom; 4Runner=outdoor warrior beast!). The 4Runner is just my true love. Should have gone with it.

I hope this is my next vehicle. I *LOVE* them. I got a new car in 2017, and ended up going with the Highlander instead of the 4Runner, because the 4Runner didn't have all of the safety features yet. The Highlander is great, but it was a BIG MISTAKE (Highlander=soccer mom; 4Runner=outdoor warrior beast!). The 4Runner is just my true love. Should have gone with it.

same here. if i didn't need the convenience of a truck bed, i would almost definitely be driving a 4runner. my wife has a '18 highlander, it's...fine.

Had a 1996 4runner, it was an amazing vehicle, ZERO problems ever with that thing. It didn't look great, didn't make good MPG, but it had it where it counted. When my wife got pregnant we decided it wasn't safe enough and moved her into a rav4 which she promptly decided was WAY to soccer mom. She's moved into a Nissan Murano which I don't understand how that isn't even more soccer mom, but it has every bell and whistle known to man so she is happy.

I'd LOVE to pick up a 4runner again once I figure out what my post Covid daily commute is going to look like as I'm rocking the Camry that I would regularly put 60 miles on a day pre pandemic so a 4runner was rough on any kind of yearly fuel cost.

Yeah I don't really get the truck brand allegiance myself either. I get that you stick with what you like or what works best for you like any other vehicle but most truck drivers get so defensive of their brand. :p

ooh kind of like THC vs RHC :whistle: :whistling:?

I do have a love / hate relationship with F(ound) O(n) R(oad) D(ead).

• Haha
Drive your current truck until your Cyber Truck preorder get fulfilled, should be about 2 years or less. Just about every spec blows away the ICE comparisons, with a lower overall cost of ownership. If you don't hate the way it looks its a no-brainer. personally I like the look. the exoskeleton is literally bullet-proof. Starting at $40K:

View attachment 627459
I would be in this camp. Get the dual motor or tri-motor. Will be unbelievable. You'll be glad you did.

I was never a truck guy. Then many years ago, pre-kids, I bought a Dodge Ram 1500 (short bed, extended cab) because it was the most affordable vehicle that fit my large frame comfortably. I completely fell in love with that truck, and only grudgingly got rid of it once I realized that it wasn't going to make a good family car.

Since then it's been minivans and SUVs, but I kinda want another truck - quite possibly a Cybertruck. I'm not entirely sold on the low-poly appearance, but otherwise I think it's an incredibly neat vehicle.

And it's also like a combo of my two childhood dream vehicles! :LOL: :laugh:

1612370443261.png

1612370774673.png

I was never a truck guy. Then many years ago, pre-kids, I bought a Dodge Ram 1500 (short bed, extended cab) because it was the most affordable vehicle that fit my large frame comfortably. I completely fell in love with that truck, and only grudgingly got rid of it once I realized that it wasn't going to make a good family car.

Since then it's been minivans and SUVs, but I kinda want another truck - quite possibly a Cybertruck. I'm not entirely sold on the low-poly appearance, but otherwise I think it's an incredibly neat vehicle.

And it's also like a combo of my two childhood dream vehicles! :LOL: :laugh:

View attachment 628107
View attachment 628111
Sorta like my story.

I started driving a Dodge Ram when I turned 16. Drove it for almost 10 years, then bought another Ram. Had a ton of issues with it and within a couple years, traded it in for a F-150. Loved it. Built like a tank, though interior wasn’t as nice as the Ram. Ended up moving and a pick up would have been awful so traded it in for a BMW 3 series. Nice, but missed the pick up. Then a BMW SUV, then the Maserati SUV. The Ram sucked me back in and I bought the Limited last year, and I couldn’t be happier.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom