Pickup Trucks I want to get some people's experiences on (1 Viewer)

Nuhockey

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
Hi PCF - The lease is coming up on my INFINITI QX60 SUV in 2022. I'm doing research now on the next vehicle I'm going to get because of the Vehicle shortage they have now. My wife is saying no to me on the Dodge RT Challenger I want because it is only 2 doors so I relented. I am looking at SUVs too, but I'm thinking of going back to a Pickup Truck. I used to have a Toyota Tacoma and that was my favorite vehicle of anything I've ever owned. My wife is OK with a pickup. She would rarely drive it, but is ok with me getting one. Here are the Trucks I am considering Toyota Tacoma, Chevy Silverado, Dodge Ram, Ford F-150, Toyota Tundra, and GMC Sierra. I wanted anyone on here who owns one of these 2019 or newer to share what they like or dislike about their truck. I don't want anyone to CRAP on another brand that they've never owned. I am a little partial to the Tacoma since I've owned one in the past, but I would be willing to drive something slightly bigger.

2021-Toyota-Tacoma.jpg

2022-chevrolet-silverado.jpg

2022DodgeRAM.jpg

2022F-150.jpg
2022TOYOTATUNDRA.jpg

GMC-Sierra_Denali.jpeg

IMG_20201013_112523.jpg

I love the interior space especially with a toddler. Tows great for what I haul as well.

Downside is the clunky trans at times. I had the same issues with a Silverado that I lemoned four years ago. I am leasing this one though, partially because of these clunky transmissions, I just don't know if there will be any issues with longevity. I've been told these transmissions "learn" shift points based on how you drive so who knows.

Also, when off roading at the dunes, I can never seem to turn off the driving aids fully off so it shifts when I don't want it to even though I have it locked out.

But overall I am happy enough that I am looking to extend my two year lease to three years.

In my experience Chevy has a terrible time with transmission issues. Toyotas last a life time, but I'm not a fan otherwise. Love my F150, it's a 2016

I would recommend whatever you choose be a v6, unless you plan to tow with it.
Dont have much input on the light duty dodge trucks, other than I've only ever liked a dodge for their diesels

View attachment 791238

I love the interior space especially with a toddler. Tows great for what I haul as well.

Downside is the clunky trans at times. I had the same issues with a Silverado that I lemoned four years ago. I am leasing this one though, partially because of these clunky transmissions, I just don't know if there will be any issues with longevity. I've been told these transmissions "learn" shift points based on how you drive so who knows.

Also, when off roading at the dunes, I can never seem to turn off the driving aids fully off so it shifts when I don't want it to even though I have it locked out.

But overall I am happy enough that I am looking to extend my two year lease to three years.
Correct they do learn but they need to be reset to factory before learning your driving.
Do you use it in sport mode? Mine will turn off all the handling setting in manual/sport
Havent tried it in 4x4 tho

I had a Tundra for years that I loved. Got a GMC Sierra in 2015 because the deal was so much better then Toyotas at the time. and Toyoyta's MPG was like 14 at the time.

GMC had to replace my transmission after 1000 miles with a completely new transmission. It took over a month to diagnose and finally replace. (They initially just want to rebuild it)

The truck has handled everything I've thrown at it since. As an amateur stone mason, I have regularly overloaded it with rock. The trans is a bit jerky sometimes and I've never forgiven GMC for the run around they gave me.

As the owner of a custom-built pickup, I think it is key to think clearly about what you actually will use it for.

Are you mainly going to off-road with it? Are you sure? What kind of terrain? If so, you are going to want at least one differential lock, maybe swaybars, etc.

Or are you going to use it for heavy hauling, such as a mobile home, or landscsping equipment?

Are you going to plow with it?

Will you be doing many long trips in it, or is it more of a short-run work truck?

How big a bed do you need? Just enough for some smaller gear? Or are you focused on trips to the big box hardware store to move 12-16 foot boards?

In my case, I primarily needed a lifted pickup with very high ground clearance to navigate trails off-road, to manage my forestry project. I needed giant mud tires to avoid getting stuck in swampy areas or crossing streams. I did not need a long bed, just enough to carry my saws and peaveys and other tools. I got a 10’ trailer for larger jobs / dump runs.

But I did not need heavy towing capacity, which seems like more of a priority for others. And getting a hemi would be overkill.

I’ve owned a few. The 6.7 is my top choice. It’s truly amazing but so is the older 6.0 If fully bulletproofed and u need to go back a decade. Obviously the new ones are 70k+ here in CALI so ya, not cheap.
That's what I was hoping you were going to say :tup:

I bought a new 2014 F150 and would have got a Tacoma if it were cheaper and had a more significant fuel savings. Full size is too much truck for me and I will go with a Tacoma next time around.

I’d also add that a lot of electric and PHEV trucks are going to hit the market in the next 1-2 years. If you have never driven an electric, don’t even start dismissing the power and torque of these engines… If I were back in the market I would get one in a heartbeat.

Correct they do learn but they need to be reset to factory before learning your driving.
Do you use it in sport mode? Mine will turn off all the handling setting in manual/sport
Havent tried it in 4x4 tho
Traction control fully disabled and then I limit it to second gear by using the arrow up button on the shift knob to second gear.

If I don't pay attention and get close to the rev limiter it shifts to third anyway and I get fucked at the top of the hill with no power.

I'll mess with sport mode next weekend. Last camping/dune trip of the year. I've never been consistent in my settings though so I couldn't even tell you what I have actually tried before lol

Traction control fully disabled and then I limit it to second gear by using the arrow up button on the shift knob to second gear.

If I don't pay attention and get close to the rev limiter it shifts to third anyway and I get fucked at the top of the hill with no power.

I'll mess with sport mode next weekend. Last camping/dune trip of the year. I've never been consistent in my settings though so I couldn't even tell you what I have actually tried before lol
Yeah try the sport mode see if makes a difference. Like I said I've never tried it in 4x4 though, I think in 4 traction control is auto off anyway

I own a Dodge Ram limited and also a Maserati SUV. My pick up interior is just as quiet and high end as my Maserati, and on top of that, my pick up rides smoother (same air bag suspension system in both). I love my Maserati for the speed and acceleration but for road trips and everything else, my pick up is glorious. The entertainment system alone in my pick up is insane.

I’ve owned a few F-150s. Current iteration is a Gen 2 (2018) Raptor. Hands down the most fun vehicle I’ve ever owned. So much so that I plan on always having one for the foreseeable future. Definitely a niche vehicle, but if you’re on this site you likely appreciate niches.

All F-150s made after 2015 have aluminum bodies. For me, that’s huge. No rust. And if you’ve owned trucks in the Midwest or Northeast, you know they love to rust eventually.

I’ve owned GMC and Chevrolet pickups all my life, never any issues. I prefer GMC overall.
3 2wd
2 4wd
2 2wd suburbans
2 4wd suburbans
Just bought the grey suburban yesterday!

A9E4DA9A-B0E2-41D9-A98E-1EE43106DD53.jpeg

I’ve had Fords as well, explorers and rangers no problems.
We are the kind of people that do regular maintenance on our cars, it’s like anything mechanical, keep it lubed up, proper tire pressure, and clean fluids and it will last a lot longer.

I’ve owned a few. The 6.7 is my top choice. It’s truly amazing but so is the older 6.0 If fully bulletproofed and u need to go back a decade. Obviously the new ones are 70k+ here in CALI so ya, not cheap.
Owned a 6.0 King Ranch, went backwards with a beautiful 2001 7.3, it will probably outlast me... other than the body! Lol
20210520_173608.jpg

Ahh there she is down in the Holler... no worries, I have no paint on the inside of my hitch. Almost always pullin!
0415181708a.jpg

Sqwatin like a boss a couple years back! Just a work truck with manual windows, AC was broke when I got it and I am a windows down redneck anyways! Lol

Had a 2005 GMC Sierra that I drove to 196K miles and would have probably stuck with GMC when I replaced it, but they removed the rear vents from everywhere but the floor, and cheaped out the back seat.

Ended up getting the 2018 Dodge Ram and have not regretted it. Smooth ride, quiet cab, even my wife loves it. And the changes in the 2019 and newer address the few shortcomings, now there is a full bench seat in the back and a flat floorboard, they added a lot of safety features and if you spring for it the 12" screen is amazing.

Good luck with your search. Hard to find a lot of vehicles right now due to the chip shortages.

I bought my 2002 Tacoma new… it’s still my ride and I still love the thing. My son’s almost driving age, so when it comes time… I’m buying another Tacoma.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom