Tempted to get a new truck (1 Viewer)

Tommy

Royal Flush
Admin
Supporter
Reaction score
My 2011 Tacoma is in getting the frame recall done. Mine didn't have the rusted frame issue (yet) so they are only doing the frame spray to prevent it.

They gave me this new Tundra for the week.

2021-02-02.jpg

1qn31a.jpg

I was window shopping about 2 weeks ago and was looking at the 2021 Silverado with the 6.2l v8. Now I'm tempted again to get one.

2021-01-17.png
2021-01-17 (1).png

Any Silverado owners here? If so, how do you like it?

What’s wrong with another Tacoma? This time step up to the TRD Off-Road package. I have a 2017, which is largely the same, solid truck as my 2008 but quieter, more comfortable and with a handful of more modern features. I am guessing the 2021s are even nicer.

Tundras seem nice, too, but I don’t tow anything currently and it’s just a bit too much for everyday city use.

No experience with Silverado’s. It that looks like a nice truck, other than the tires/rims but that style has never appealed to me.

What’s wrong with another Tacoma? This time step up to the TRD Off-Road package. I have a 2017, which is largely the same, solid truck as my 2008 but quieter, more comfortable and with a handful of more modern features. I am guessing the 2021s are even nicer.

Tundras seem nice, too, but I don’t tow anything currently and it’s just a bit too much for everyday city use.

No experience with Silverado’s. It that looks like a nice truck, other than the tires/rims but that style has never appealed to me.

Same here, I have a 2016 TRD Sport that I bought brand new. Love it, but would personally have a Tundra if I could fit it in the garage.

Anecdotal, but FWIW my neighbor bought a 2016 Silverado the same week I bought my Tacoma and he has had a number of issues with it since then, it's been back to the dealer a lot. I can't recall the specific issues except the starter went at about 20k miles. I don't want to ask for more details because it's a sore spot. :D

Reactions: BNM
I've got a 2018 Silverado. The only problem with the truck is a weird transmission shift from 1st to 2nd gear from a cold start on all 2015-present models. It's a manufacturer's issue that they haven't figured out how to fix yet. It doesn't cause any problems, just more of an annoyance. Other than that, great truck all around. I really like those trail boss' that are out now. But I would recommend a new Tundra if you can afford the higher price tag. Those trucks are amazing and will run forever.

My 2011 Tacoma is in getting the frame recall done. Mine didn't have the rusted frame issue (yet) so they are only doing the frame spray to prevent it.

They gave me this new Tundra for the week.

View attachment 627427

View attachment 627428

I was window shopping about 2 weeks ago and was looking at the 2021 Silverado with the 6.2l v8. Now I'm tempted again to get one.

View attachment 627430View attachment 627429

Any Silverado owners here? If so, how do you like it?

they gave you a Tundra for a WEEK? lucky! i dropped my Tacoma off for the frame spray at 8am and i think i picked up it up on my lunch break the same day. i wouldn't have minded having a Tundra for a week.

I’ve got a 2012 Tacoma. I like the truck but have been thinking about moving to a new Chevrolet as well. The wife and I want to buy a camper and you really can’t pull much with the Tacoma. I think it’s limited to 6500lbs.

I am still driving my 2002 Tacoma with the TRD. I bought it new and it is a champ. I had some regular work done a couple years ago and they gave me a new one to drive while the work was being done and I had the same upgrade thoughts. They even had the trade in paperwork ready "just in case". It was tempting, but I love my truck I'm not getting rid of it. When my kids are old enough to drive (2 more years... ugh) I may reluctantly get a new one, but until then I'll be riding easy in the ol' Taco!

I am still driving my 2002 Tacoma with the TRD. I bought it new and it is a champ. I had some regular work done a couple years ago and they gave me a new one to drive while the work was being done and I had the same upgrade thoughts. They even had the trade in paperwork ready "just in case". It was tempting, but I love my truck I'm not getting rid of it. When my kids are old enough to drive (2 more years... ugh) I may reluctantly get a new one, but until then I'll be riding easy in the ol' Taco!

That's funny, I've been telling my oldest since I bought the truck that he's going to be driving it. He was 4 then, now turning 10 and it's still my plan - pretty much halfway there already, that is a scary thought.

I'm a ford guy also, so no first hand experience. Only advice is to look at reviews and message boards for comments.

Drive your current truck until your Cyber Truck preorder get fulfilled, should be about 2 years or less. Just about every spec blows away the ICE comparisons, with a lower overall cost of ownership. If you don't hate the way it looks its a no-brainer. personally I like the look. the exoskeleton is literally bullet-proof. Starting at $40K:

1612284119097.png

I’ve got a 2017 Silverado, no problems at all. It’s 4wd so it’s pickup and go is a little light but it’s been a fine truck. Drive it through lots of snow, dirt roads, and mud.

What makes someone a "Ford guy", or "Chevy gal"? Am I weird that I will read reviews, test drive all the major brands, and make a decision based on which one suits me best? I get brand loyalty on smaller things, but on a massive purchase like a truck, I'm going with the best truck, not the truck who's team I am on.

Can't comment on the Silverado in particular but I'm a Chevy truck fan. I have an '03 Avalanche that I absolutely love, I wouldn't hesitate considering another Chevy truck when this one finally gives up the ghost.

What makes someone a "Ford guy", or "Chevy gal"? Am I weird that I will read reviews, test drive all the major brands, and make a decision based on which one suits me best? I get brand loyalty on smaller things, but on a massive purchase like a truck, I'm going with the best truck, not the truck who's team I am on.
I get Z Plan pricing which is why I am loyal. I enjoy paying below dealer invoice pricing and also take advantage of all rebates. Only thing though is I know buying new is not really the best thing to do financially. Too much money tied up in a depreciating asset.

Drive your current truck until your Cyber Truck preorder get fulfilled, should be about 2 years or less. Just about every spec blows away the ICE comparisons, with a lower overall cost of ownership. If you don't hate the way it looks its a no-brainer. personally I like the look. the exoskeleton is literally bullet-proof. Starting at $40K:

View attachment 627459

Unfortunately the windows are not so bulletproof :ROFL: :ROFLMAO: . And I can't stand the look of this vehicle.
Tesla fail.gif

View attachment 627459

Yesssssssssss!

I put in my pre order last year, and I cant freaking wait for this!

My wife absolutely hates the look of it :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

Obviously a Ford supporter.
Imho - if you want comfort and luxury without forking an arm and a leg, a Chevy is in that description. I would be overly cautious of the negative feedback on transmission issues/failures with a Chevy.
Ford obviously does sell beautiful luxury packages, at a premium, but I find the quality and longevity of the product overall has more value for your investment.
I wouldn't buy brand new either, I would go 2020 model as you'll save alot more $$$ and can still get a brand new truck with practically no miles on it.
Also just out of curiosity, why a V8? For daily use and driving a V6 would be much more efficient (obviously I'm sure you know that) unless you are towing (occasionally or regularly) in which I would stay away from a Chevy all together.

New raptor debuts Wednesday (tomorrow)!
I'm really excited to see the new Bronco released. I loved the raptor when it first came out, but for daily driving it's somewhat pointless. Not very fuel efficient and geared towards offroading with the package. If you offroad alot, then yeah makes sense. Or if you're building a race truck, that's a fantastic base model

That 6.2 is sweet. GM is the best way to go. I have 5 for my business and they are work horses. Do it!

I am a ridgeline guy until I can get my hands on/afford a cybertruck.

Give them a look, I think they are a step up from a tacoma in ride performance, but still not a full size beast for every day driving. Word of warning, the gas milage sucks at 16 mpg for the 2014 and olders (much better on the gen 2's). Other than that, they are really well engineered if you don't want/need a full size.

I am a ridgeline guy until I can get my hands on/afford a cybertruck.

Give them a look, I think they are a step up from a tacoma in ride performance, but still not a full size beast for every day driving. Word of warning, the gas milage sucks at 16 mpg for the 2014 and olders (much better on the gen 2's). Other than that, they are really well engineered if you don't want/need a full size.

Unibody :vomit:

;)

I have a 2019 Silverado (1500 LT 4x4 2.7L i4) and it is not a bad truck at all. I got a killer deal (about $18k under sticker) as it was a Christmas week/clear out old inventory type of situation. I don't do any heavy hauling so the truck works fine. It towed the largest size U-Haul trailer fully loaded from Oregon to Southern Nevada with ease. That being said, had I not received such a great deal, the V8 would have been my choice 100%. The infotainment system has the weird quirks that Chevy's systems are known for. Like @ES_Threeper said, there can be a weird shift sometimes from 1st to 2nd, however I find that if I let the truck idle for like 15-30 seconds after starting, and don't shift it straight into drive that it is mostly resolved. That being said, I have always driven a Ford before now. The new F-Series are nice trucks, but IMO the new design is kinda "meh" to me. As a very tall/semi-large guy, the K1500 fits me comfort needs great as well. Hope this helps!

For the room mostly. I got the Tacoma before we had kids. Now with two car seats and my seat all the way back because I'm 6' 3" and need the leg room it's tight back there for them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom