Tell me about SCROLL mold from CPC (1 Viewer)

Huskerchipper

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
Okay, just got thrown a curveball. I literally just sent a check to Mr. Sprang to finish a set I designed 15 years ago. However I have the next set 90% figured out...yes it's a disease and the first part is admitting it. Now to the point, my wife has played poker with me for 25 years and she is excited about the next set I have planned. I was planning on using A-Crest 39mm partly because I want to add Bounty and All-in chips built on the larger 44mm chip and I want the same mold throughout the set. She was asking if there are other molds because she just told me she really don't like A Crest.... which brings me to Scroll mold (the only other option for 44mm) that she really likes. I had never considered it but she did have a good point that it would look good to my single line goose drawing that will be on my inlay. I have the inlay 99% figured out but I need to put it all together myself or hire someone. I'm attaching an example of one of my chips for feedback. The inlay will be alot more complex but it will give you an idea of my single line drawing I will be using. Finally here's my question. I have hardly seen any custom chips made on Scroll mold. Is there any drawbacks I should be concerned about? Pros? Cons? Is it as simple as most prefer other molds? If you have any thoughts please lmk.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231025_224110_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231025_224110_Samsung Internet.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 149
  • Screenshot_20231028_221824_Samsung Internet.jpg
    Screenshot_20231028_221824_Samsung Internet.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 150
I dont like the feel of scroll mold. No quantifiable issue I can cite, but they dont feel good. Very flat and the looks are odd. Just my opinion on scrolls.
I respect your input and will get some samples before deciding. If there's one thing u can guarantee on poker chips is that people have drastically different tastes and that's what makes this hobby awesome!

It's not even in the running for my fav cpc mold, however:
That design seems to be a perfect fit for the scroll mold.
If I needed a 44m chip option for your design, scroll seems like a no-brainer.

@Ben built a tournament set of scroll customs with 44mm high-denom chips, pics are on PCF somewhere. No negative issues when I played with 'em.

...my wife has played poker with me for 25 years and she is excited about the next set I have planned.
...she just told me she really don't like A Crest.... which brings me to Scroll mold (the only other option for 44mm) that she really likes.
Seems like a pretty easy call here TBH... :LOL: :laugh:

And FWIW, I don't like the A-mold either.

Not sure how many folks have actually handled a shuffle stack of the 44mm molds, I certainly haven’t and can’t give any feedback on feel. But your wife’s comment + BGinGA’s observation on the inlay/scroll mold alignment is spot on and enough reason to look at 44mm scroll mold.

It's not even in the running for my fav cpc mold, however:

If I needed a 44m chip option for your design, scroll seems like a no-brainer.

@Ben built a tournament set of scroll customs with 44mm high-denom chips, pics are on PCF somewhere. No negative issues when I played with 'em.
Thanks BG....it wasn't in my top 3 or 4 that's for sure. H Mold is my personal favorite but thats what my 1st set is on. HHR is dope....with the right theme. Not sure exactly how I feel on B Diamond...but its interesting. I love scrown but I know it's slicker than my liking and it feels sacrilegious on a chip other than TR King. A-Crest just felt like a good solid mold that was also offered in 44mm. Doesn't hurt that ACrest runs frequently!

I do have a concern that I thought of immediately and sleeplypiggly sent me a link to some SCROLLS that kind of confirms my Fears. My concern is how close the scrolls are occasionally close to the edge and how flea bites might come easily. Im waaaay to OCD to be okay with higher than average flea bites. I am EXTREMELY interested to get feedback from @Mesnik44 on if he has experienced this.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231029_113423_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20231029_113423_Chrome.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 89
@Mesnik44 has a beautiful scroll mold set.
We play with it often in his league. It's been 5+ years now (I think?) and they are getting beautifully broken in.
They shuffle like buttah, including the 44mm's.
I tagged him so maybe he can weigh in.
10/10 - would highly recommend.
Thank you!! That's EXACTLY the feedback I was hoping to hear.... hands on experience of feel. There's going to be people who visually love it and people who visually hate it and that's fine. It wasn't something I was even considering myself until the last 24hrs...however I think feel is somewhat more universal to a degree. Thank you. I really hope Mesnik44 can tell me his thoughts!

I have a set of the Rounders replicas on the Scroll mold and like them a lot. They shuffle nicely and have a shallow recess for the inlay unlike most CPC molds, so they stack very well without any spinners.
x2, love my Rounders set, much preferred on the scroll vs CSQ for me. It's a very sharp/crisp mold, especially when they're new, but they break in nicely. And the 44mms are next level awesome. I only have 44mm bounty chips but a 44mm scroll tourney set is on my short list of remaining "one day" chip projects.

I play in @Mesnik44 's league as well and quite like the scroll mold. I honestly really didn't like it just based off of the CPC Designer, but playing with these they handle great.

These chips have certainly seen play and from the barrels I've looked at, they still looked sharp with minimal bites at all. I'm sure John will be able to provide you with some more robust feedback on how they wear!

But the 44mm are the star. They are great to play with!

FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of how A-Mold feels in comparison.

PXL_20230709_052135340.MP.jpg
PXL_20230312_040823212.jpg

x2, love my Rounders set, much preferred on the scroll vs CSQ for me. It's a very sharp/crisp mold, especially when they're new, but they break in nicely. And the 44mms are next level awesome. I only have 44mm bounty chips but a 44mm scroll tourney set is on my short list of remaining "one day" chip projects.
Thank you very much for your input Irish. The more feedback the better! A full 44mm tourney set would be off the hook. Sounds like we think alike.

I play in @Mesnik44 's league as well and quite like the scroll mold. I honestly really didn't like it just based off of the CPC Designer, but playing with these they handle great.

These chips have certainly seen play and from the barrels I've looked at, they still looked sharp with minimal bites at all. I'm sure John will be able to provide you with some more robust feedback on how they wear!

But the 44mm are the star. They are great to play with!

FWIW, I'm not a huge fan of how A-Mold feels in comparison.

View attachment 1216908View attachment 1216909
Thank you very much! Those are a full set of 44mm?

I do have a concern that I thought of immediately and sleeplypiggly sent me a link to some SCROLLS that kind of confirms my Fears. My concern is how close the scrolls are occasionally close to the edge and how flea bites might come easily. Im waaaay to OCD to be okay with higher than average flea bites. I am EXTREMELY interested to get feedback from @Mesnik44 on if he has experienced this.
Those chips look like they were off-center in a grinder/lathe. They were probably made by Hispania, so hopefully a non-issue with CPC.

Thanks for the kind words @Wifey and @MichaelBubly

I do love my scrolls. I've had these since 2015. I love the feel of them, and some even after 7 years have a nice sharp edge. The 44mm sure are nice to handle, if I do say so. The chips have been used almost monthly for 7 years, and still feel great. Out of 3500 of these, I've only ever had one break, and that was due to my own carelessness. I don't recall a lot of flea bites on them. I'm sure that there are, but that obviously is due to age, handling, and general degen-ness.

If I had to do it again, I would in a heartbeat. No other mold stood out and grabbed me like this one.

I do love my scrolls. I've had these since 2015. I love the feel of them, and some even after 7 years have a nice sharp edge. The 44mm sure are nice to handle, if I do say so. The chips have been used almost monthly for 7 years, and still feel great. Out of 3500 of these, I've only ever had one break, and that was due to my own carelessness. I don't recall a lot of flea bites on them. I'm sure that there are, but that obviously is due to age, handling, and general degen-ness.

If I had to do it again, I would in a heartbeat. No other mold stood out and grabbed me like this one.
huge endorsement, that

Thank you for the reply... much appreciated. Samples are on the way. We will see how this all develops.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom