Show me your bulk chip storage solutions (1 Viewer)

JMC9389

Royal Flush
Supporter
Reaction score
After the flooding last month in the Northeast, what I thought would be my forever storage solution in an Ikea Malsjo display case was rendered unusable after my basement took on a couple of inches of water and the glue holding the base of the piece together started to split off due to the moisture it took on. Because of this, I don't feel that it is safe to use anymore to store anything really heavy like tens of pounds of racked up poker chips.

So now I'm asking the hive mind of PCF about what they use for their storage. A lot have used bookshelves, including Barrister bookcases that look really nice and stylish, but as my chip storage space is located in the basement, anything that is made of wood unfortunately isn't in consideration. Before anyone asks, I don't have room on the main floor of the house to put a wooden piece, and I think my wife would kill me if I lugged a large storage piece into the bedroom.

With this, it essentially leaves my options to something made of steel, or something totally custom. There are options out there for the former, but although some options are modest, shipping is an absolute killer. I'm honestly at a loss of what to do, as half of my sets are currently sitting in racks on the floor of my bedroom temporarily.

Appreciate any help!

Here's the damaged cabinet in question as well as a general layout of the basement if it helps...

The whole back wall perpendicular to the wire shelf is what I have to work with in terms of space.

20210905_164745.jpg
20210902_150801.jpg

503af140-6feb-4eb5-9ab1-6e4f8ff2cec3-jpeg.765272

The bottom shelf I doubled up, it's super sturdy, I have about 7k chips in there now.

https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/regiss...J9A57bXXRivPoRc-WwYCyiFnAKaajN3waAp0jEALw_wcB
Very nice! Solid wood?

I’ve seen plenty of people use following tool chests with multiple drawers. Might suit your needs?

View attachment 792907
This is a consideration, but ideally I'd want to display my chips and have them visible.

I should have included this in the OP, but I do have a small son with a second on the way any day now. Small children are definitely a consideration. Something like this with wheels that can easily tip over would definitely be a "no go".

Very nice! Solid wood?

This is a consideration, but ideally I'd want to display my chips and have them visible.

I should have included this in the OP, but I do have a small son with a second on the way any day now. Small children are definitely a consideration. Something like this with wheels that can easily tip over would definitely be a "no go".
Not solid, but the shelves are like 3/4" mdf with a wood veneer, pretty damn sturdy

I’m very happy with IKEA Kallax. My shelves are full of whiskey bottles and poker chips with absolutely no bowing. They have options to customize with drawers or doors.

Former medical/tool cart I found used on Facebook for $100 - absolutely perfect for what I wanted. Plenty of room for accessories in one drawer, and next to the 1,000 chip trays. I use the bottom space for an Apache case and some other stuff. My chips “live” here, and get moved to racks and travel cases when needed.
EF9824BB-2EF2-48CE-A834-FB2D92A5FA4F.jpeg535304F6-227B-419C-95EF-99C84A567D0B.jpeg3E7298C3-E755-4A95-A744-809622A1D48B.jpeg62DEF8B6-57DE-48B1-A276-262FA205236A.jpeg0FEBEDED-1165-43F2-81A4-2E6239470977.jpeg7DA25F24-7307-4FFC-B689-502A362343F6.jpegC5E5F710-07C3-44DB-9A00-CDA951E952C9.jpeg

I’m very happy with IKEA Kallax. My shelves are full of whiskey bottles and poker chips with absolutely no bowing. They have options to customize with drawers or doors.
I'm a big fan of the Kallax. Each spot comfortably holds a cage of chips and I can hide smaller items behind.

I'd take pictures of my setup, but it's a bit of a disaster as I'm re-arranging things in my home office (basically, my vault). I should tidy up enough for a photo or two.

Former medical/tool cart I found used on Facebook for $100 - absolutely perfect for what I wanted. Plenty of room for accessories in one drawer, and next to the 1,000 chip trays. I use the bottom space for an Apache case and some other stuff. My chips “live” here, and get moved to racks and travel cases when needed.
View attachment 792910View attachment 792911View attachment 792912View attachment 792913View attachment 792914View attachment 792915View attachment 792916
I have used these tool carts in both red and blue as crash carts in hospitals. The bottom flip drawer tends to come off hinge if forced open quick with lots of stuff inside after a while. The rest of the cart is solid. This model will ding and show rust after a while in areas where the paint is chipped.

Should make a very durable chip case.

I have used these tool carts in both red and blue as crash carts in hospitals. The bottom flip drawer tends to come off hinge if forced open quick with lots of stuff inside after a while. The rest of the cart is solid. This model will ding and show rust after a while in areas where the paint is chipped.

Should make a very durable chip case.
It’s been excellent so far - very sturdy but not too difficult to move if I need to. Plus the drawers are deep enough for stacking 2 trays if needed, likely storing 10k-12k chips.

I’ve had it with cabinets or closets for storage. It’s either pile up racks/boxes or have some in front and some in back. Getting chips isn’t as easy as I’d prefer.
The tool chest idea is looking quite nice…open a drawer, and all the racks are right there.

Both @Seeking Alpha Social Club and @pltrgyst use metal storage racks that work really well. I don't have any pics but maybe they can post.

How about a picture of you with the most beautiful solution to your back Joe
Screenshot_20210816-172853_Gallery.jpg

I would think with that mater piece built by our amazing buddy @Irish ... that your wife would even be excited about having chips in the kitchen or the Formal living room! It is that nice! Haha

Hot off the press! I was recently Invited to check out @RivieraDanny collection. You could go big and rent a whole warehouse just for your chips!
50014141361_f96dc27de4_o.jpg

He didn't know it but I climbed up on on of the crates and snapped this picture of him putting away his recent TRK purchase! Lmao

But I feel like you are looking more for something along the lines of
Screenshot_20211201-080242_eBay.jpg

Or
Screenshot_20211201-080317_eBay.jpg

Or if you want the Ferrari model
Screenshot_20211201-080357_eBay.jpg

But the easiest solution is send all of your beautiful chips to Ben/Bries house... we will case them and store them for ya with ours
20210826_184107.jpg

Then when you need your chippies we will drive them up and stay for the game and take them back to be safely stored with their family... a win/win IMO and costs you nothing. Lmao

(I actually do hope that SOME of that was actually useful, not just a good laugh)

Thank you for the Laugh @Irish sometimes we put everything we have into a swing... and contact nothing but fresh air! That awkward 20 minute wait of "well I thought that post was pretty funny, maybe Joe is just stuck in morning traffic, lets just check when he was active last... ohh a moment ago.... ohh, I gues trying again another time, they can't all be winners I guess!"

BTW Joe we just shove S**t wherever it will fit, bills, chips doesn't matter.
20191114_164037.jpg

Makes for a lovely conversation piece when people stop by having them in the dining room. "Umm... are those poker chips? Why do you have so many? Why exactly are they in the dining room?"

Response.... small house, the kitchen counter was taken up by Bourbon Bottles.... continue sipping drink...

Thank you for the Laugh @Irish sometimes we put everything we have into a swing... and contact nothing but fresh air! That awkward 20 minute wait of "well I thought that post was pretty funny, maybe Joe is just stuck in morning traffic, lets just check when he was active last... ohh a moment ago.... ohh, I gues trying again another time, they can't all be winners I guess!"

View attachment 820039
Makes for a lovely conversation piece when people stop by having them in the dining room. "Umm... are those poker chips? Why do you have so many? Why exactly are they in the dining room?"

Response.... small house, the kitchen counter was taken up by Bourbon Bottles.... continue sipping drink...
I saw your initial post as I was literally walking out the door to take my son to school.

We're actually looking for storage racks like those to store my son's toys. The wire racks should suffice but the metal ones do look nice!

I've thought about that for my chip storage, but for the most part, my chips are in my basement which can get pretty muggy from May through September. The only way an open to air solution like that would work is if I moved all of my chips to Matsui/Apache racks with the lids in order to lessen the exposure to humidity during the warm and sticky months.

I'm only looking for steel because of the decreased possibility of water damage aspect of it, as my wooden storage cabinet completely warped after the flood in September and is unusable for anything heavy like racks of poker chips.

The Amazon cabinet has a weight bearing capability of 33 pounds per shelf. I'm going to see if those are still around in 2 or 3 week's time. Seems perfect for me in terms of what I need, as each set I have will get it's own shelf. Weight won't be an issue as my sets won't have more than 14 racks of chips in then. Each CPC rack of chips, rack included, is just over two pounds. It'll be fine.

View attachment 820039

This works when your significant other is just as into the hobby as you are. For mine....not so much.

One day if and when I renovate the basement I have @Irish on speed dial to make a replica of his bar set up. But that won't be for years if it ever happens.

Both @Seeking Alpha Social Club and @pltrgyst use metal storage racks that work really well. I don't have any pics but maybe they can post.

View attachment 820033
I would think with that mater piece built by our amazing buddy @Irish ... that your wife would even be excited about having chips in the kitchen or the Formal living room! It is that nice! Haha

Hot off the press! I was recently Invited to check out @RivieraDanny collection. You could go big and rent a whole warehouse just for your chips!
View attachment 820034
He didn't know it but I climbed up on on of the crates and snapped this picture of him putting away his recent TRK purchase! Lmao

View attachment 820035
Or
View attachment 820036
View attachment 820037
But the easiest solution is send all of your beautiful chips to Ben/Bries house... we will case them and store them for ya with ours
View attachment 820038
Then when you need your chippies we will drive them up and stay for the game and take them back to be safely stored with their family... a win/win IMO and costs you nothing. Lmao

(I actually do hope that SOME of that was actually useful, not just a good laugh)
My current storage is temporary and lacks the beauty needed to properly craddle one's babies.:ROFL: :ROFLMAO: I recently started working on a permament storage solution with this as my inspiration. We will see how close I can get.

frameless-wine-room-glass-doors-american-frameless-glass-enclosures-img_69b1333604471968_4-732...jpg

My current storage is temporary and lacks the beauty needed to properly craddle one's babies.:ROFL: :ROFLMAO: I recently started working on a permament storage solution with this as my inspiration. We will see how close I can get.

View attachment 820050
Well... that should definitely take care of any humidity concerns! Wow

You're hired. When can you start?
LMAO!!

Started last weekend. :) Had to take it down to the studs so I can build the support for the shelves into the walls.

But you had a great point about flooding. So much so that now I am going to add a rubber shower like barrier from the floor to about 4 feet up. That will hopefully protect the studs and the shelves from absorbing water if my basement floods.

16383731981641734324323546701638.jpg

I like the tool chest
Top drawer is great for cards and accessories
All drawers fit chips w a rack perfectly

Attachments

• 5052AA58-AE35-4E03-9E2D-78EAE0717F2A.jpeg
    5052AA58-AE35-4E03-9E2D-78EAE0717F2A.jpeg
    144.8 KB · Views: 125
  • 56B2F26A-2F3B-4E58-AB22-82263DC46448.jpeg
    56B2F26A-2F3B-4E58-AB22-82263DC46448.jpeg
    154.1 KB · Views: 124

View attachment 820033

View attachment 820034

View attachment 820035
Or
View attachment 820036
View attachment 820037
View attachment 820038

What cases are these? I'm looking for a storage option at college that is portable.

What cases are these? I'm looking for a storage option at college that is portable.
Apache sold by Harbor Freight, very reasonably priced. About $45 for the Black 3800 which hold up to 1,000 chips, $65 for Black 4800 which hold up to 2,100 chips. They also make a smaller 2800 series for $35 ish that can hold 600 chips but you have to cut the outer foam ring down.

You can order them.online but shipping is expensive, but if you have a store close by they are fantastic for chip carrying

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom