Versa birdcage, Apache case, or acrylic birdcage (1 Viewer)

mconn116

Pair
Reaction score
I have a little north of 1500 cards mold chips I’m looking for storage options for. Looking for 1000 chip storage options and the rest can just be stored on my shelf in the office (for now). I love the idea of the traditional clear birdcage as it displays the chips but concerned if that’s my only storage option since (even if rare) I may travel with them if others host our game. An Apache case is appealing since it’s very secure and customizable but I’m concerned the foam may deteriorate over time and damage the chips inside l. The Versa birdcage looks nice and seems secure but again concerned about the foam.
Another thing of note is the majority of my chips are 39mm but I do have at least 1 rack of 43mm $20s and while they will seldom get in play in our .10/.25 or .25/.50 game it’s nice to have it. Thoughts?

IMG_3992.jpeg

The Versa birdcages are nice. I have 1000 and 600 versions. Very compact. But if I were you, I would buy 2 Nanuk 910s, 15 Justin racks, and call it done.

1706790531299.png

As for the foam breaking down...I've not heard of that being an issue for chips. But maybe someone has had the experience. But with ceramic chips in a closed rack (like Justins) I don't think it would be an issue. Or at least, you'd notice it before it became a big problem. And you can always replace foam.

a bird cage generally does just fine in the foot well of your passenger seat for a travel game. I drove with my birdcage many times. If I a case in the trunk or back seat I'd just prop it up so nothing wound move and put pressure on the plastic, or so as to try to prevent it from tipping over...such as wrapping it with a towel or coat.

When you get your new unit be sure the screws on the bottom are snug not loose and wobbly or it will break eventually. Do Not Over Tighten The Screws. Or you could crack the plastic. So long as the screw are snug and the base doesn't wabble the unit is very sold....honestly I only ever has issues with 1, I owned 4 over my life. 3 have been great, the second one I ordered must have had a defect of manufacture or I ignored checking the screws. 1 screw stripped out the very first time it was lifted with chips... thus I had to drill a deeper hole and slightly longer screw replacement. I recommend a unit that is more curve/rounded edge at the top than flat/square edge as in my experiences the rounded edge were a bonded plastic where the square edge (unit that the screw stripped on) seemed to be glued and headed at the edges.

If you find a unit for a good price buy two, they seem to be more and more expensive every time I look them up. In such a market, best to get them while you can.

I may look into Justin racks in the future, right now I have racks from spinettis and love them though they fit the CM very nicely

The Versa birdcages are nice. I have 1000 and 600 versions. Very compact. But if I were you, I would buy 2 Nanuk 910s, 15 Justin racks, and call it done.

View attachment 1265419

As for the foam breaking down...I've not heard of that being an issue for chips. But maybe someone has had the experience. But with ceramic chips in a closed rack (like Justins) I don't think it would be an issue. Or at least, you'd notice it before it became a big problem. And you can always replace foam.
The reason I worry about the foam is during my time in the Marine Corps we would store weapons/gear is pelican cases and over time the foam would break down a little and “flake” off and also would transfer residue to the gear inside. Granted, this was under more extreme environments and there was A LOT of use and wear and tear. Maybe it won’t be an issue with poker chips that’s are used every few weeks or maybe plastidipping the foam would help

A lot of us plastidip the foam inside of Apache/Nanuk cases. Pretty much resolves any concern with foam deterioration. But granted you seldom travel, a birdcage might be nice to also display the chips instead of having them sealed up.

As for the foam breaking down...I've not heard of that being an issue for chips.

1) You can get inserts fabricated from more durable material to fit these cases. I’ve not done this (yet) but there are threads about it somewhere on this site.

2) I cut the foam in my Apache to fit standard chip racks, no covers. So no foam is touching the ends or sides.

If one were concerned about the chips touching the foam in the top, a piece of plain cloth, such as cotton duck or just a white sheet, could be cut to lightly cover the chips when the case is closed, I suppose.

Last edited:
I will say, I bought an apache case which fits chips well and is very sturdy, but I've found it not actually so useful. I don't travel with my chips often, and if I do I don't go far, so a clear birdcage on the car floor is secure enough. I think I would've preferred a better display case, it would save space and look better on the shelf. If you ever fly with chips, or will be carrying them for a long period I would go with one of the more secure options.

On a related note, is there such a thing as a 400 chip clear birdcage? I'd like a case that's decent for displaying smaller sets. If not I'll likely just use a 600 sized one and use the extra space for decks and such.

I like the versa birdcage’s for traveling with chips. Secure and light.

Seems like pretty mixed opinions all around. I’m kinda leaning towards a clear birdcage that can display them cause, well, it’s cool. And then the Apache 3800s are cheap enough I may get one of those for traveling even though the furthest I see myself traveling for a game is maybe an hour if not usually much less

Last edited:
I have all three. The acrylic is pretty but only use it for closet to table. I have both the 600 and 1000 versa birdcages and are great for light transport. The Apache are good if the transport gets more rugged. However, I bought an Apache 4800 not for its ruggedness, but so I could store 1,500 chips in one box.

Went ahead and ordered an acrylic 1k birdcage, this should be perfect for now. I rarely travel with chips as the majority of the time I am the one hosting (5 of our last 6 games I’ve hosted). I still may run to harbor freight the next time the apaches go on sale and grab a 3800 and some plastidip to have a better travel case should the need arise.

I will say, I bought an apache case which fits chips well and is very sturdy, but I've found it not actually so useful. I don't travel with my chips often, and if I do I don't go far, so a clear birdcage on the car floor is secure enough. I think I would've preferred a better display case, it would save space and look better on the shelf. If you ever fly with chips, or will be carrying them for a long period I would go with one of the more secure options.

On a related note, is there such a thing as a 400 chip clear birdcage? I'd like a case that's decent for displaying smaller sets. If not I'll likely just use a 600 sized one and use the extra space for decks and such.
Yes. I bought a 400 recently and didn't like it. Lmk if interested. I'll sell it for a few bucks less than I paid.

@springbox The 400 chip acrylic carriers exist but are hard to find. @BR Pro Poker just sold out their stock (maybe they could tell you where they got them??)

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/sold-out-400-chip-carrier-with-trays-clearance.114277/

@mconn116 If you go with the acrylic bird cages consider a velcro strap for added security

View attachment 1270246
The Velcro strap is a good idea. May pick one up in the off chance I do travel short distances with these.

How long does this strap need to be?

The strap I pictured on the 1000 ct cage is 40" length (2" width).

I use the same length on my 400 ct cages simply because I had ordered a multi-pack of the 40" length.

I put rubber adhesive pads on the cage base so the strap can pass under and not cause rocking.

Seems like pretty mixed opinions all around. I’m kinda leaning towards a clear birdcage that can display them cause, well, it’s cool. And then the Apache 3800s are cheap enough I may get one of those for traveling even though the furthest I see myself traveling for a game is maybe an hour if not usually much less
$30 bucks with current sale coupon for Apache 3800 for anyone with Harbor Freight. Get it early as foam or case had interesting stink that has taken a few days to dissipate.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom