Show me your bulk chip storage solutions (1 Viewer)

Have one sitting in my basement. Someone needs to make a video about setting these up.

and counting how many times he said "oops" or "uh oh", I am filled with fear to screw mine up.....
Mine were super easy to setup. I have several of the 3800 size with 800 chips each (4 stacks of 2), and a 4800 with 1500 chips (5 stacks of 3, it's a heavy beast but it works great). They travel great.

Place racks on an insert to layout your cut. I did one case with matsui racks, I don't recommend that. Standard racks work better. I used a cut card to cut the foam out, it doesn't take much to cut through the squares. Repeat on second layer. Add in some finger tabs to easily get racks out. You'll have some slabs of foam that you can always reuse if needed. Pro tip, taking out the top cut out layer to load and unload the case makes it way easier.

PXL_20220208_042712655.jpg

PXL_20220208_042752752.jpg

20210706_163956.jpg

After the flooding last month in the Northeast, what I thought would be my forever storage solution in an Ikea Malsjo display case was rendered unusable after my basement took on a couple of inches of water and the glue holding the base of the piece together started to split off due to the moisture it took on. Because of this, I don't feel that it is safe to use anymore to store anything really heavy like tens of pounds of racked up poker chips.

So now I'm asking the hive mind of PCF about what they use for their storage. A lot have used bookshelves, including Barrister bookcases that look really nice and stylish, but as my chip storage space is located in the basement, anything that is made of wood unfortunately isn't in consideration. Before anyone asks, I don't have room on the main floor of the house to put a wooden piece, and I think my wife would kill me if I lugged a large storage piece into the bedroom.

With this, it essentially leaves my options to something made of steel, or something totally custom. There are options out there for the former, but although some options are modest, shipping is an absolute killer. I'm honestly at a loss of what to do, as half of my sets are currently sitting in racks on the floor of my bedroom temporarily.

Appreciate any help!
Could you move your clothes or your wife’s dresser to the basement? That would clear room in your bedroom for chips

Mine were super easy to setup. I have several of the 3800 size with 800 chips each (4 stacks of 2), and a 4800 with 1500 chips (5 stacks of 3, it's a heavy beast but it works great). They travel great.

Place racks on an insert to layout your cut. I did one case with matsui racks, I don't recommend that. Standard racks work better. I used a cut card to cut the foam out, it doesn't take much to cut through the squares. Repeat on second layer. Add in some finger tabs to easily get racks out. You'll have some slabs of foam that you can always reuse if needed. Pro tip, taking out the top cut out layer to load and unload the case makes it way easier.

View attachment 860289
View attachment 860290
View attachment 860291

This is helpful. Cut card tip, finger holes, photos.

Questions:

1. Can you add a photo of the bottom of the inside of the case when empty? How much foam is at the bottom? Is it even close to as much in the lid?

2. No need to leave any rows of foam between each rack?

This is helpful. Cut card tip, finger holes, photos.

Questions:

1. Can you add a photo of the bottom of the inside of the case when empty? How much foam is at the bottom? Is it even close to as much in the lid?

2. No need to leave any rows of foam between each rack?
There is a solid piece of foam in the bottom. I don't think it's quite as thick as the lid, but it's plenty. I also flipped the lid foam over so the flat side contacts the chips and holds them in. I had a few chips come out with the egg crate side down, none since switching to flat side down.

I don't see a need to leave foam between the racks. It cuts down on capacity and wouldn't hold up very well over time depending on how thin the layers are and how often racks are removed/loaded in. There is very little movement when transporting in my configuration. I just picked it up and shook it and barely could hear any shifting.
PXL_20220208_050900392.jpg

I used to have a 100 year old cabinet that was made of solid wood at my house back East. I had a few thousand chips in there no problem. Dreaded moving that thing. It was SOLID wood and must’ve weighed north of 300 lbs. Luckily the buyers wanted it - which was great because the people we bought the house from gave it to us after the people they bought it from gave it to them. Thing is never leaving.

Anyway, I got this hutch. I don’t trust much on the top shelf but the bottom is solid and zero chance of a flood out here so that works.

Attachments

• 32214446-F671-40C2-B2E4-1C48105CEEAA.jpeg
    32214446-F671-40C2-B2E4-1C48105CEEAA.jpeg
    106.2 KB · Views: 124
I just use a shelved closet in my poker room. Never felt the need to actively display my collection as only two of my poker friends actually care. The others only care to tell the occasional new player "hey look at how many poker chips MrCatPants has in his closet, hahah what a doofus."

20220208_122359.jpg

Yes, reviews are not great and I'd go cheap on a small case, but not on a big 'un because of weight.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom