Storage ideas for 3k Tinas + 2k super diamonds: home and travel options? (1 Viewer)

Larold

Pair
Reaction score
I am putting together a gigantic Tina set (~ 3k chips) and have never really thought about chip storage up to this point. Right now I have a couple thousand Super Diamonds, and I've just historically kept them stored in batches of 100 in those cheap 4x25 plastic storage chip cases with clear plastic bodies and lids.

Before offering suggestions, keep in mind that I am legally blind and 100% mechanically UN-inclined. :) There will be no cutting, no rigging, no gluing, no building, etc. I can only use things the way they come. (My wife can help me with basic assembly.) If possible I'd like to keep the cash outlay to a few hundred USD, but for really spiffy show-casey and/or lifelong durability, I could go up.

In general, I need suggestions for at-home storage for 3k Tinas and ideally another 2k of Super Diamonds. Also need travel/carry options for 1k chips, sometimes 2k, and very occasionally, all 3k of the Tinas. When all 3k Tinas are needed, they won't ever fly or travel far, just ride in a vehicle then carried into / out of someone's house. So 3x 1k or 6x500 carrying options are fine w/ me.

The top priority for both at-home and travel is durability and smooth / easy actions of taking racks of chips out and putting them back in. In particular, at home, most of the time only a subset of the large quantity of chips will be used. Would be very helpful to not have to remove a bunch of colors I won't use just to get to the ones I will.

For travel, I need sturdy, reliable, can take a lot of weight and take some modest abuse (blind guy walks into things sometimes!),, can easily be lifted / held with handles. (I'm not a big fan of suitcase-style rolling options for some reason.) For travel I think transparent might be nice as well to show off the chips, but again, durability and ease-of-removal-or-replacement is more important if I have to choose.

For the at-home option, I would -love- something that is also transparent with lighting, but I don't know if that's an option for the number of chips I need to store. (5k and growing over time).

Also, since I'm new to the storage game, please let me know things I haven't thought about. Since the home games will take place often in the same room as the storage, lock and key is probably a good idea.

Thanks all!

P.S. If someone can point me to a post or resource recommending the healthiest ways to store the chips (e.g. temperature, humidity, on side in racks vs stacked, etc), much appreciated!

Maybe 2 Apache 4800s?
Durable, lockable, easy to cwrry but it can get heavy.
How do you make everything fit snugly without sliding around during travel?

It looks like they come full of foam - do you have to cut out inserts in the foam? Or do you remove the foam and find racks and equipment that are properly dimensioned so they fit snugly into the cases? Just curious how it works - having a hard time seeing some of the pictures of the apache interiors for some reason.
Thanks!

I can’t say enough good things about the Versa Birdcages for travel. 3x 1000 chip birdcages give you a ton of flexibility and a solid, safe way to travel!

The hardware store is your best friend for larger chip storage. bring a measuring tape and any chip racks you intent to use to the store to measure before you buy, just to be sure
I am using big red tool boxes for my chips. They are not light but hold all of the chips you are wondering about. I use the acrylic chip racks (68mm trays from Amazon or Justin's Racks)

Of these two the smaller on on the left holds 2600 chips, 3600 on the right
1643023363890(1).png

20220729_215414.jpg

The cases above are mobile with a friend or if you are strong. The case below is for the home game and holds up to 10,000 chips +/- in the various drawers
20230725_103352.jpg

The hardware store is your best friend for larger chip storage. bring a measuring tape and any chip racks you intent to use to the store to measure before you buy, just to be sure
I am using big red tool boxes for my chips. They are not light but hold all of the chips you are wondering about. I use the acrylic chip racks (68mm trays from Amazon or Justin's Racks)

Of these two the smaller on on the left holds 2600 chips, 3600 on the right
View attachment 1252109
View attachment 1252104
The cases above are mobile with a friend or if you are strong. The case below is for the home game and holds up to 10,000 chips +/- in the various drawers
View attachment 1252102
Fantastic idea and great advice.

Harbor Freight just had a sale on the Apache 5800 too. It was $69.99 for a couple days. Maybe they will offer that again soon.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom