Shipping to Canada (1 Viewer)

Chipandchair

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to mail a dealer button to Canada from Chicagoland. Simple padded envelope from Target. Was immediately told that I needed to fill out customs papers and that there was a $14 fee as well. Is this something new? The person receiving it doesn’t seem to have experienced this from other sellers in the US. Is there a specific way to avoid this fee and papers? Thanks,

I should clarify that this is the first thing that I have sold and only because it matches a beautiful set.

In before @Anthony Martino :ROFL: :ROFLMAO:

I just sent a similar padded envelope last week to @hdgeno. Weighed 3 oz. Told me at post office if anything was in the envelope other than paper customs forms are required. Was a lot more expensive also.

You have to fill out the customs form. Tell them you are sending it First Class Mail International. It is by weight and should be a couple of stamps. 80% of postal workers don't know shit and assume the best way to send everything is flat rate because that doesn't require any thinking or additional button pushing on their part.

I just sent a similar padded envelope last week to @hdgeno. Weighed 3 oz. Told me at post office if anything was in the envelope other than paper customs forms are required. Was a lot more expensive also.

3 oz should have been $2.71

First-Class Mail International

Retail Large Envelopes (Flats)

Weight Not Over

(oz.)

Price Groups

Canada

Note:
Pieces that are rigid, nonrectangular, or not uniformly thick pay package
prices.

1 $2.29

2 2.50

3 2.71

First-Class Package International Service

Retail Packages

Weight Not Over

(oz.)

Price Groups

1 (Canada)

1–8 $10.50

3 oz should have been $2.71

First-Class Mail International

Retail Large Envelopes (Flats)

Weight Not Over

(oz.)

Price Groups

Canada

Note:
Pieces that are rigid, nonrectangular, or not uniformly thick pay package
prices.

1 $2.29

2 2.50

3 2.71
That’s what the USPS website said it would be but it would not let me print a pre-paid label to Canada. What? Took it to PO and got screwed.

You have to fill out the customs form. Tell them you are sending it First Class Mail International. It is by weight and should be a couple of stamps. 80% of postal workers don't know shit and assume the best way to send everything is flat rate because that doesn't require any thinking or additional button pushing on their part.

Flat Rate is pricier than that. First Class International is in the $10-$15 range, depending on weight.

You can check prices at postcalc.usps.com. An 8oz letter with 1/4" variation from Chicago to Ottawa is $10.50 USD, and tracking works well between USPS and Canada Post in my experience.

Edit: I type way too slow on my phone...

Take a piece of corrugated cardboard, cut a hole in it, insert chip. By their rules it is flexible, rectangular and uniform thickness which should qualify for mail rate. If you really want to hide it, put a layer of cardboard above and below and make a chip sandwich.

The guy didn’t weight it at all. But it did look rather large as I had wrapped it with some significant padding. Thanks for all of the help. So basically I have to say this giant clay chip is actually paper??

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom