One year anniversary on PCF overshadowed by the death of my dad (1 Viewer)

mburnznj

3 of a Kind
Reaction score
It's very rare that I open up and share things as I'm usually private by nature but sometimes they say getting it out is also good therapy.

I joined PCF last August looking for a quality non-dice set that my home game can use. I eventually found a home here in PCF and immediately knew that I was going to like it here. Usually I'm happy being a lurker on board sites but this site was different, I wanted to be a part of it and so I jumped in head first. Over the past year I've met some great people, have had some great conversations, and really just felt like I was a part of this place. Even though I may not have been too schooled in chips, it was always fun to leave a witty comment here or there or get in on some thread of interest. What was not fun? Seeing the bank count dip a little here and there as the chip collection began to grow! (I'll have to post pics one day). I told myself all I want is one set, a nice set and so I picked up a quality HSI set, and I was happy! Or so I thought.....until the urge to see what the fuss about THC chips were and then all gloves were off! One rack turned into 2, then 3, then 4, and so on and so on. Can't say I regret any purchase though.

Things were going great until May. May was a month I'd love to forget all about. One Saturday I was watching my kid's softball game when my phone rang. It was my dad's friend telling me that he was rushed to the hospital and that they said I need to come ASAP as it's not looking good. The only thing......I'm in New Jersey and my dad was in Poland! When my mom passed (some years ago) and my dad retired he decided to start living his life. He came to America from Poland when he was 15 and over the past decade he loved to travel back and forth to the town where he was born. So, that Saturday I was dropped off at Newark Airport and arrived in Poland 11 hours later, a stranger in a strange land. Eventually my dad passed away on Memorial Day.

If he passed on Memorial Day why am I writing this today? His funeral is this Saturday. It took a bit of time to bring him home, he came home mid July (the U.S. embassy helped with the matters) and with people's summer schedules this Saturday was a day that most family and friends are free.

I'm sitting here now sorting through pictures for the funeral and it's been difficult. A certain photo jogs a memory, I think someone's been cutting onions in my living room from time to time today. Seeing pictures of my dad when he was young makes me pause and think about things. Hell, he's the reason I play poker to begin with. A young kid playing draw poker with my dad for nickels and dimes on weekends turned into a love of the game.

I know I'm rambling on and on.......since May I haven't been up to chipping and I've been MIA a lot. I hope to get back into it as I found a cool niche, hobby, that's brought enjoyment. Hopefully sooner than later my mailman is delivering a package to me again. Until then, tell the people close to you you love 'em.

My dad's favorite pastime of all things.
shore08 025.jpg

Very sorry to hear about your dad's passing. I wouldn't presume to know much about him, but he looks and sounds like a guy who knew how to enjoy life.

PCF will be here whenever you're ready. Please take care.

So sorry for your loss. I lost my mom around the same time last year. Was able to fly to Boston on Memorial Day to see her before she passed less than 8 hours later.

Became mostly inactive on PCF most of last summer, and it’s taken a while to get back into chipping.

Hang in there.

So sorry for your loss. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and feelings.

Sorry for your loss. Losing your Dad is tough. I lost mine 15 years ago and still have a hole in my heart. Console yourself with great memories of him.

There is no good time for such things. My condolences to you and your family on your loss.

So sorry to hear. My dad passed in the middle of the lockdown, it's been a rough few years. My only advise is to just ride with the emotions and allow yourself to grieve when you need to. Over time the reminders of him will make you smile, instead of wreck you (at least in my case).

I am very sorry for your loss. Wish I knew something better to say. Am sending strength your way. The sting will fade over time. Hang on to those memories.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom