Sat my kids down yesterday and talked about social media (1 Viewer)

Darson

Full House
Supporter
Reaction score
As I was driving to work yesterday, I was listening to NPR and heard the story of a school kid who was photographed by a friend holding a BB gun. The friend then posted the pic to snapchat with a caption that read something like "don't go to school tomorrow". The kid holding the gun was expelled and he didn't even post the picture!

I read another story where a kid "liked" a picture of a BB gun and was then suspended.

There are numerous more examples where schools are taking actions on kids behaviour on social media. Apparently some school systems are using AI to sift through student's emails and their school work to look for threats. The AI needs work though, apparently a message to go "shoot some hoops" was flagged.

And today, an article was published about a Harvard kid who was denied entry to the US because of things his facebook friends had posted.

--

We've always told our kids to behave on social media the same as they would to people face to face. Be kind, considerate etc. But now it seems that someone else can post something with catastrophic consequences for you, especially with today's heightened paranoia.

If you ever heard my son playing Fortnite with his buddies, you'd think he was directing gang warfare. "Shoot him, quick - in the head". It's frightening to think that if someone recorded that and put it out there that the police would be over our house in a flash.

Boy I'm glad I grew up in the time of film cameras and no social media. I did so much stupid stuff as a kid that I'd probably be in jail 5 times over if it was now.

To set up Facebook correctly it takes a few minutes, but most people run settings by default letting anyone to tag a name and add a comment without "victims" verification or approval.
Other than talking with my kids I help them with the set-up and i'am also "friends" that help monitor other people activity on my daughter "wall"

Regarding the "overreaction", from far away it seems to be a cover-your-ass-PC "we must do something even if that something is wrong but people cannot say that we didn't take actions"

On the second article mentioned (I can read first as is not available on my geographical region) I've read "17-year-old Palestinian" and " and searched his phone and computer "
On other media (YouTube "In range") I learn that airport officials (after 9.11) can search for evidence on electronic devices and can request to unlock you iphone or computer, which the problem is that you can (theoretically) refuse to give your password but you have less power if your device is locked out with a fingerprint

Evidence of what? As we say here "delit de sale gueule" ( I don't like your face) so therefore the two are related to social media the problems are different imo.

I told my daughter (soon to be 18) several years ago that anything you create, whether you publish it or not, can be found. The only way something can't be hacked is when it doesn't exist at all.

I had a similar situation when I was younger
I had a run in with DNR in April regarding pictures (not posted by me) of some deer killed in January
They had pulled the photos from Facebook after completing some kind of scan leading them to the pictures in the first place and slapped with me some stupid fines etc etc.... I didnt even know that was legal?!
Either I way I chose not to have a facebook account anymore about 2 years ago...probably one of the best choices I've ever made.
It's sad to think that someone or something is monitoring your children that closely, and that they could fall victim to some crap they didnt even post or pose as a threat....
Also makes me wonder what word happen if some type of scanning system like that were to fall into the wrong set of hands....yuck dont want to think about creepies like that. Snapchat scans your photos too, even creepier of a thought....all those inappropriate photos high school girls send are seen by someone or something else :vomit:

We played a lot of "war" as kids, inspired by the monumental American TV series "Combat" featuring Vick Morrow as Sergeant Saunders.
The series presented the war after the Normandy landings at an almost idyllic pace. Each week, our US Army platoon would kill about a dozen Wehrmacht soldiers in the picturesque and abandoned orchards of Normany; needless to say that, at this pace, the war would have lasted till today:LOL: :laugh:

We especially enjoyed executions of prisoners of war, when playing among us (using wood sticks and stones) :D
This TV series was truly heaven-sent, because it provided us with some marginally acceptable bad guys (immaculate Hugo Boss-clad Germans); nobody would have accepted to play Turk if our war was Greeks vs Turks.

Coming to today, it should suffice to say that I do NOT participate in any "social" (my @ss) network and I would harshly prohibit my children to do that (if, God forbid, I had any).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom