How would you react? (1 Viewer)

upNdown

Royal Flush
Reaction score
This is a real stituation, unfolding as we speak. I’m wondering what everybody thinks. I’ll save my thoughts for a bit.

Guy I know is furious. Mascot of a local professional team was visiting his 6 year old son’s school. His son was wearing the jersey of that mascot’s team’s rival team. When they went to take a class picture with the mascot, the mascot pushed the kid out of the picture. The kid is described as being “pissed” about it. I’m sure if there were injuries or anything else worth mentioning, we would have heard about it.
Those are all the details I’ve heard so far, except that the teacher did call the mother to explain the situation.

That happened yesterday. The father is saying that this is assault and battery on a child. He contacted the team today. The team’s legal counsel told him “we’re sorry your child didn’t appreciate the performance.” Apparently the team offered the child a “more positive experience” with the mascot. The father is saying that they’re not going to buy off a criminal assault and battery against a child like that, and now says they’re going to get the hammer.
I look forward to learning what that means.

Thoughts?

Sounds scripted. Kid wore an opposing rival jersey on a day a mascot was visiting the school? "Shoved" out of the picture, or "playfully removed" as a mascot would do with a rival fan.

I err to the side as a gross overreaction that has scents of being planned from the start.

1. Was the kid injured anywhere other than his pride or feelings? Makes all the difference. I know you stated you hadn’t heard. Just a rhetorical statement.

2. Mascot should have told teacher the little boy couldn’t be in the picture with that shirt if it bothered him that much and/or if a contractual reason he couldn’t.

3. Glad the team didn’t cave easily, assuming no injury to child.

4. I understand parents being pissed but trying to get a criminal charge is a bit overboard, again assuming no injury.

I think the mascot showed poor judgement, and likely injured the 6 y/o's feelings; The mascot should have realized that a 6 y/o wouldn't understand the playfulness of 'Team Pride' over feeling left out or how sensitive young kids are in a situation.

but for the most part I agree with Craig, hopefully the parents calm down and take the opportunity to have a positive experience for the sake of the kido

The mascot should apologize and offer him a team jersey in a 'mascot way' which includes running into a pylon and falling down in pain.

You don't touch minors. Period. I wouldn't put my kid in a rival jersey in a potentially hostile environment, however.

Can you provide any footage of the rant?

Seriously, why would the kid even want his picture with the rivals team mascot? I mean his dad would probably make fun of him for having it.

I think it’s great for his dad to be concerned, but if there’s nothing there then accept it. If there’s more then pursue it.

Not so sure ginning up rivalries at 6 yr old level is a great thing for a school to do though. How about a visit from the mayor or any civil service employee to talk about the importance of their work?

Angry Zach Galifianakis GIF by BasketsFX

This dad needs to get a grip. Agree nobody should “touch” a minor but mascots have that goofy sarcastic way that they act. It was most likely a harmless joking act and the dad should teach his son a lesson that mascots are supposed to be goofy characters that root for their team only.
How about contacting the team and having the mascot send a video apology telling the kid he was joking and inviting them to a game on the house.
Life lessons and accepting an apology are better than just suing everyone over everything.

I coach my sons 13 year old baseball team and I “smack” (lightly smack) the kids on their helmets to fire them up to get hits. If someone told me it was inappropriate or tried to sue me I’d tell them to go F themselves. And I’m a very laid back roll w the punches kinda guy.

I’m 43 and consider myself old school. This dad and me most likely wouldn’t get along. Lol

I get the dad being upset. I don't like anyone putting hands on my kids. EVER.

With that being said I would need some 3rd party eyewitness account of the incident. Those guys in the costumes are well trained. I have a buddy who was Butch T. Cougar in college and one of the Blitz (Seahawks) for a while afterwards (relavant to the forum side note: Dude was buddies with Squatch and they both brought their masks to a poker night and wore them at the tableone time. It was great). They know what's OK and what's not.

The odds are long that this is nothing more than just a little bit of an embarrassment to the kid and as a result things have been blown way out of proportion.

Hope this guys not a poker buddy, because I'd hesitate having him to your house. I mean god forbid he slip on some ice or trip over a shoe when he was over. He'd probably own your home.

If an adult gave my kid a hard aggressive shove and my kid fell down, I’d be livid. I dunno about criminal battery, that seems wack, but the team and the mascot supervisor would be hearing from me. If they just moved my kid out of the way that’s nothing.

Hard to tell how much the dad is overreacting without video because “push” means a lot of different things. My gut is he is overreacting a lot

I think it’s interesting that some comments think the mascot was actually trying to get the kid out of the picture. I assumed the mascot was just joking around, playfully pushing away his rival. But I don’t know - you’ve seen all the facts that I’ve seen. Either assumption is fair, I suppose.

Here’s what I left out - the dad is a lawyer. And he’s also one of the biggest social media loudmouths I know. And he seems like he goes through life with a big chip on his shoulder. And this was a Boston team that he hates, because despite living here now, he’s from NY.
So as you can imagine, knowing all that I know about him (and trust me, I’ve put it lightly) it’s tough for me to view this situation without bias. Because this guy really is a huge ass.
But then again, somebody did touch his kid. Although if he’s going to start ranting about “criminal assault and battery”, I guess I should say that somebody touched his kid “allegedly.”

They’re both wrong, but on different levels.

The mascot pulled a stunt that was for the field/court, not the classroom. Antics are fun but this wasn’t the place for that move.

The threat of a lawsuit is just over the top silly. Unless injured, the family should take the mascot up on the offer for a second visit.

Parents, your kids are watching how you handle things. It’s a great chance here to get it right.

I think it’s interesting that some comments think the mascot was actually trying to get the kid out of the picture. I assumed the mascot was just joking around, playfully pushing away his rival. But I don’t know - you’ve seen all the facts that I’ve seen. Either assumption is fair, I suppose.

Here’s what I left out - the dad is a lawyer. And he’s also one of the biggest social media loudmouths I know. And he seems like he goes through life with a big chip on his shoulder. And this was a Boston team that he hates, because despite living here now, he’s from NY.
So as you can imagine, knowing all that I know about him (and trust me, I’ve put it lightly) it’s tough for me to view this situation without bias. Because this guy really is a huge ass.
But then again, somebody did touch his kid. Although if he’s going to start ranting about “criminal assault and battery”, I guess I should say that somebody touched his kid “allegedly.”

Because this guy really is a huge ass.
This!!!!

I can see this dad dressing his son in the rivals jersey in the morning telling his son to tell the mascot his team stinks (insert evil cartoon character laugh).

Kid tells mascot his team stinks probably in an entitled manner (bc he can do no wrong and his dad has money and knows everything) the mascot(who makes minimum wage and just wants to get home and play some poker with his friends that night) tells kid well then don’t take a picture with us. Hahaha

Ok I have to stop following this thread now. Lol

Damn, my first thought reading this is that the kid is doomed no matter what, so don’t worry about him, run for the chopper.

But it also sounds like the dad knows where the line for “the hammer” really falls, so maybe just a lot of bluster here.

Hopefully his kid won’t be known forever in the school lore as “the kid who got his butt kicked by Bucky Beaver”.

But it also sounds like the dad knows where the line for “the hammer” really falls, so maybe just a lot of bluster here.
Right? He could pursue a criminal complaint for assault and battery, but that wouldn’t make it past a clerk’s hearing (unless the poor SOB in the suit actually has a record.). So what’s left? Sue that mascot and the team and the school civilly? You could. But unless this kid is in a shrink’s office right now, trying to sort through this trauma, there are literally no damages.
But I’m curious to see where it goes.

@upNdown - Sounds like time to remove this “Guy” from your life. Today it’s this issue, then tomorrow it’s something else. I personally have no room for that type of person in my life.

Mascots are paid to be idiots. If this dad doesn't understand that then there needs to be a mascot outfit waiting for him.

@upNdown - Sounds like time to remove this “Guy” from your life. Today it’s this issue, then tomorrow it’s something else. I personally have no room for that type of person in my life.
Oh he is in no way a part of my life. I’ve met him twice. He’s just Facebook entertainment.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom