Royal Flush Giveaway *Closed* and *Completed* (1 Viewer)

Alright, so we're good to go. Lets start by picking the lucky seat for Table 1.

1581605511060.png

So Seat 7 will get to choose one of the following chips. I tried to grab a mix of things...roulettes, a frac, ones, snappers and even a fiver. Bud Jones, TRK, house molds, RHC and THC. Hopefully everyone can find something they like. And I'm listing more chips than are being given away, so the last winner will still have a pick.

IMG_20200213_094529223.jpg

So let's see who's sitting at Table 1... The first 9 randomized names will get a seat:

1581605884761.png

Congrats, @grantc54, you have until Table 2 is seated to pick a chip from the pic above.

Last edited:
Seating Table 1: @krafticus, @JeepologyOffroad, @Sprouty, @Moxie Mike, @Nuhockey, @bigdonkey, @grantc54, @Sunshine, @Chesky1326

IMG_20200213_100539691.jpg

1581610473363.png
1581610362217.png
1581610245443.png
1581610085567.png
1581609916659.png
IMG_20200213_101006096.jpg
IMG_20200213_101011529.jpg
IMG_20200213_101017566.jpg
IMG_20200213_101024525.jpg

I forgot to snap a pic of the hands preflop... Luckily, I read @BonScot's excellent Paint Skillz tutorial...

IMG_20200213_101048178_20200213112514962.jpg

The boys have a game tonight... Discuss, and I'll post the board after I get home.

Last edited:
Seat 8: AKc53s3h

Ok, here we go, gimme an A. Wait, they're all out. Um, hit me with a 3. Oops, they're all out, too. Well, with a 2 and 4 along with ... uh, never mind.

There's gotta be some clubs left in this deck, right? I'm gonna need ALL of them to hit the board! You say there aren't any left? Really?

The boys have a game tonight... Discuss, and I'll post the board after I get home.
10-10-8-8-7
I like my chances of making the nut straight... there's one 6,7,9,J,Q and K all live, the board can't pair and the only suit that could make a flush is spades (there are exactly 3 left in the stub).

Last edited:
I just need the three spades out of the seven cards in the stub to hit the board?

I like the sounds of that!

I was curious so I tried running the numbers but I'm getting mixed results using this probability tool:

https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

When I input 5 trials with a population of 7 with 3 success the tool returns these results (28.5% of making your flush):

pcf2.jpg

However - since we're guaranteed to see at least one spade on the board at some point, I ran it accordingly (4 trials, population of 6 with 2 successes) and the tool returned 40%:

pcf1.jpg

Can someone explain why the probably changes, if either of these are accurate and if not, how do we actually calculate the odds @Sprouty will make his flush?

Alright, so we're good to go. Lets start by picking the lucky seat for Table 1.

View attachment 407070

So Seat 7 will get to choose one of the following chips. I tried to grab a mix of things...roulettes, a frac, ones, snappers and even a fiver. Bud Jones, TRK, house molds, RHC and THC. Hopefully everyone can find something they like. And I'm listing more chips than are being given away, so the last winner will still have a pick.

View attachment 407071

So let's see who's sitting at Table 1... The first 9 randomized names will get a seat:

View attachment 407073

Congrats, @grantc54, you have until Table 2 is seated to pick a chip from the pic above.

Would love that Borgata snapper!

Running it through Excel with 10,000 trials, I get 28.72%
I ran it through another tool and got the same 28.5% and 40% figures respectively. I still don't understand why the odds change though. When I double all the values, the odds drop from 28.5% to 6.9%.

I was curious so I tried running the numbers but I'm getting mixed results using this probability tool:

https://stattrek.com/online-calculator/hypergeometric.aspx

When I input 5 trials with a population of 7 with 3 success the tool returns these results (28.5% of making your flush):

View attachment 407241

However - since we're guaranteed to see at least one spade on the board at some point, I ran it accordingly (4 trials, population of 6 with 2 successes) and the tool returned 40%:

View attachment 407244

Can someone explain why the probably changes, if either of these are accurate and if not, how do we actually calculate the odds @Sprouty will make his flush?
Pretty easy to calculate going the burns going runner-runner not spade:
4/7 * 3/6 = 28.6%

I ran it through another tool and got the same 28.5% and 40% figures respectively. I still don't understand why the odds change though. When I double all the values, the odds drop from 28.5% to 6.9%.

If you look at the situation as drawing 2 non spades and whatever remains is the board, it’s clearer why you need to keep all 3 spades in there as eligible to be not on the board. The 28 is the right one, not 40

I think your 40% result is the probability after the first card is turned over and it's a spade.

Last edited:
The only way the flush doesn't come is if at least one of the burns is a spade. Which would be the same odds that at least one of the first two cards is not a spade.

(4/7*3/6)=percentage of both stub cards to be non-spades (ie all three spades on the board)=28.57% for the flush to hit.

Last edited:
I think your 40% result is what the probability would if the first card you turned over was a spade.

My thought the fact that one spade is guaranteed to appear shouldn't affect the math overall. I also don't understand why doubling all the values changes the probability as well.

My thought the fact that one spade is guaranteed to appear shouldn't affect the math overall. I also don't understand why doubling all the values changes the probability as well.
Yes, at least one spade is guaranteed. But, not on the first card. Your calculation is like evaluating your odds after you turn the first board card over, and it's a spade. If you evaluate at that point, you have greatly increased your odds.

45 of the 52 cards are out there. I’m on my phone, and don’t feel like figuring out what they are. I know at least 1 king, 1 nine are out there

If you spike a 4-flush by the turn I hope @WedgeRock waits until March to post the river :)

IMG_20200213_101048178.jpg

Not a bad flop for pocket 6's, eh @bigdonkey?

@Sprouty's chance of hitting the flush is now 50%... there is a non-spade 9 out there for the straight, however (which @Sprouty would also chop).

Part of the problem with so many of the cards being out is many are already dead...

To be continued in March...

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom