Rise of the Asshat clause (2 Viewers)

What a stupid thread in what was once a cool forum to be on! @Tommy, not sure what’s going on with this place anymore, who’s in charge of this place?
Just not the same anymore. It seems like somebody opened up the douche bag door and they all have come running in. Doesn’t seem very concerning to you much lately.
Fortunately there’s the door I can let myself out and it really bothers me that I’m seriously considering it. But in all honesty, if what I read in this thread is true and being practiced, who needs this dumpster Fire of a forum?
What the hell have you let happen to this place @Tommy? This used to be your baby. :unsure: Oh and if my opinions offend you or anyone else, go ahead and ban me for them.

From the Fail Army channel on YouTube:

ass hat1.jpg

What a stupid thread in what was once a cool forum to be on! @Tommy, not sure what’s going on with this place anymore, who’s in charge of this place?
Just not the same anymore. It seems like somebody opened up the douche bag door and they all have come running in. Doesn’t seem very concerning to you much lately.
Fortunately there’s the door I can let myself out and it really bothers me that I’m seriously considering it. But in all honesty, if what I read in this thread is true and being practiced, who needs this dumpster Fire of a forum?
What the hell have you let happen to this place @Tommy? This used to be your baby. :unsure: Oh and if my opinions offend you or anyone else, go ahead and ban me for them.

My dear friend Matt,

No, I'm not gonna ban you. And no, I'm not offended, just surprised. Calling PCF a "dumpster fire of a forum" because of Tommy and questioning his motivations is really unfair, imo.

I've seen the same rant from you elsewhere a few times and honestly, they catch me by surprise every time. Maybe there's something behind your post and some others' I've seen lately?

Members make a great forum, Matt! Tommy only provides the platform, and it is indeed a great one, one on which he is working tirelessly. He is not at all responsible for the quality of the content and his style of modding has been the same hands-off one from the get go.

If I read the situation right, it seems to me this is a case of contagium. When you surround yourself with people who all they do is complaining, you start thinking that's reality. For some reason, I never thought of you that way, maybe I was wrong. I really hope I'm not.

The bitching has become norm here a few years back, after the NAGB. Definitely not gonna go into that, although I have a ton to say about it (maybe one day). It never let off unfortunately.

As you recall, some people moved to CD and tried to shut this forum down unsuccessfully a few years ago. After that forum closed, they were all back here to what Tommy provides reliably. Not a peep from those who were constantly attacked there by CD people was ever uttered. All you guys got was open arms. It was all 'let bygones be bygones'. The bitching never stopped though, although I gotta admit, you were very, very far from a chronic offender, and that's why I'm surprised.

I know many of those who are around you elsewhere and I've tasted their poison for years. I just hope you can have the wisdom to see through them sooner rather than later.

Having said that, I do not disagree with you there has been a lot of negativity around. Where we disagree is I do not think is Tommy's fault as you state. I would even venture to say some of the more negative members are by you elsewhere. The only remedies for said negativity are either positivity, indifference or absence imo.

In 99.9999% of the cases I would just let it go and avoid confrontation, especially with someone I consider a friend. However, when the accusations are absolutely baseless, unfair and coming with an ulterior motive, I just can't stay silent, so I'm sorry Matt.

So let me get this straight here just so I know what is going on here ........ OP is upset because people have the "Asshat" clause in their sales thread? ........ Does it even matter to anyone? ........ The only way it has any effect on anyone is if they are an Asshat ......... So .......... Hummmmmm .......

No, not upset. Just interested in what appears to be a shift in culture of this forum. I've noticed complete noobs adding this clause to their postings. I find it odd that new members would already have a list of users that they've had such negative experiences.

A year ago, you didn't see people make a point of noting who they weren't going to sell to in their sale threads. I think at that time, there was a tacit understanding that if a buyer had some kind of beef with the seller they likely weren't going to buy from them anyway. Common sense right?

I think any mature adult understands a person can pick and choose to whom they will sell their possessions.

It seems rather petty to have to make such a public declaration. Most rational people already understand that this is the case. I just think it adds to the divisiveness of the forum and makes it a less like a community.

Also, what is your infatuation with the use of the ellipsis? Or is your keyboard broken?

Last edited:
I’ve had a great experience on this forum, but haven’t been around long enough to develop relationships good or bad. That said seems to me the “asshat clause” isn’t a necessary stipulation to a sale as it could be done in a PM if necessary, and outside of an auction?? you can sell to whomever you damn well please. Shit am I now an asshat?

No, not upset. Just interested in what appears to be a shift in culture of this forum. I've noticed complete noobs adding this clause to their postings. I find it odd that new members would already have a list of users that they've had such negative experiences.

That's really weird isn’t it?

My dear friend Matt,

No, I'm not gonna ban you. And no, I'm not offended, just surprised. Calling PCF a "dumpster fire of a forum" because of Tommy and questioning his motivations is really unfair, imo.

I've seen the same rant from you elsewhere a few times and honestly, they catch me by surprise every time. Maybe there's something behind your post and some others' I've seen lately?

Members make a great forum, Matt! Tommy only provides the platform, and it is indeed a great one, one on which he is working tirelessly. He is not at all responsible for the quality of the content and his style of modding has been the same hands-off one from the get go.

If I read the situation right, it seems to me this is a case of contagium. When you surround yourself with people who all they do is complaining, you start thinking that's reality. For some reason, I never thought of you that way, maybe I was wrong. I really hope I'm not.

The bitching has become norm here a few years back, after the NAGB. Definitely not gonna go into that, although I have a ton to say about it (maybe one day). It never let off unfortunately.

As you recall, some people moved to CD and tried to shut this forum down unsuccessfully a few years ago. After that forum closed, they were all back here to what Tommy provides reliably. Not a peep from those who were constantly attacked there by CD people was ever uttered. All you guys got was open arms. It was all 'let bygones be bygones'. The bitching never stopped though, although I gotta admit, you were very, very far from a chronic offender, and that's why I'm surprised.

I know many of those who are around you elsewhere and I've tasted their poison for years. I just hope you can have the wisdom to see through them sooner rather than later.

Having said that, I do not disagree with you there has been a lot of negativity around. Where we disagree is I do not think is Tommy's fault as you state. I would even venture to say some of the more negative members are by you elsewhere. The only remedies for said negativity are either positivity, indifference or absence imo.

In 99.9999% of the cases I would just let it go and avoid confrontation, especially with someone I consider a friend. However, when the accusations are absolutely baseless, unfair and coming with an ulterior motive, I just can't stay silent, so I'm sorry Matt.
Hey Paulo,
I appreciate you reaching out and the fact that you took the time to do so carries much weight.
I can’t argue with many of your points nor do I want to. I am not proud of some of the ways I have conducted myself here lately and there are certainly better ways I may should have handled things.
I will say that I’m unhappy with some things I’ve seen. I wish things were more like they were pre boat drama. My unhappiness though isn’t a result of being surrounded by negativity, I just don’t like some things I see lately.
I care greatly about this forum and the community. My behavior is a result of feeling like it’s the only tool I have, (or feel that I have) to get someone’s attention and speak up about things.
It is not in my character to act this way normally and I should probably step back and do some reevaluating.
Your points are well taken that there are other options and I greatly appreciate you reaching out Paulo.
Thank you.

Hey Paulo,
I appreciate you reaching out and the fact that you took the time to do so carries much weight.
I can’t argue with many of your points nor do I want to. I am not proud of some of the ways I have conducted myself here lately and there are certainly better ways I may should have handled things.
I will say that I’m unhappy with some things I’ve seen. I wish things were more like they were pre boat drama. My unhappiness though isn’t a result of being surrounded by negativity, I just don’t like some things I see lately.
I care greatly about this forum and the community. My behavior is a result of feeling like it’s the only tool I have, (or feel that I have) to get someone’s attention and speak up about things.
It is not in my character to act this way normally and I should probably step back and do some reevaluating.
Your points are well taken that there are other options and I greatly appreciate you reaching out Paulo.
Thank you.

Thank you for replying back, Matt. It is much appreciated.

All interactions I've had with you, whether online or in person, were absolutely lovely. You've always been one of the nicest guys around. That type of thing never goes unnoticed, man... That in itself is already doing a lot.

This is becoming more and more common in ads. It started with @Windwalker and now many people are copying him. Why? It was even thrown back in his face.

In most cases, this is a relatively anonymous message board. Just because you have a disagreement with a stranger you won't sell them some toy poker chips? How childish is that? How can you be so terribly wronged by a total stranger by mere words?

Is it going to evolve to, I won't sell to anyone who's French or Canadian or French-Canadian? I won't sell to a liberal or conservative (I don't agree with your political views posted in the politics forum). Or I won't sell to Asians or Black people.

Where does it end?

Fuck them Canadians!

USA USA USA!

The member @TheDuke explained this very well in his post. Creating such a clause and using it publicly for all to see is very immature. We never had such clauses in the older days of chipping. Such a list only promotes division and partiality. It could just be stated as reserving the right to do business with anyone.

The member @TheDuke explained this very well in his post. Creating such a clause and using it publicly for all to see is very immature. We never had such clauses in the older days of chipping. Such a list only promotes division and partiality. It could just be stated as reserving the right to do business with anyone.

I don't recall ever needing such clauses in the older days of chipping.

No, not upset. Just interested in what appears to be a shift in culture of this forum.
It is not a culture shift from what I can tell, as much as just being honest about it. I do have a very short "ignore" list. The two people on it have been on it for approximately 95% of my time here. After a while I wonder why I blocked them and remove their names from my ignore list. In less than 24 hours they wind up right back on it.
I've noticed complete noobs adding this clause to their postings. I find it odd that new members would already have a list of users that they've had such negative experiences
The next time I sell something on PCF will be my first. I know PCF has certain rules (and I admit I don't know what they are) with the sales that happen here. When I make the sale thread, I will use a previous sales thread from someone else and copy and paste as much as I can in an effort to make sure my thread is good. If it has the Asshat clause, then my sale thread will have it too.
A year ago, you didn't see people make a point of noting who they weren't going to sell to in their sale threads. I think at that time, there was a tacit understanding that if a buyer had some kind of beef with the seller they likely weren't going to buy from them anyway. Common sense right?

I think any mature adult understands a person can pick and choose to whom they will sell their possessions.

It seems rather petty to have to make such a public declaration. Most rational people already understand that this is the case. I just think it adds to the divisiveness of the forum and makes it a less like a community.
A year ago people made it a point not to post forum threads calling out other people on how they run their sales. It is their sales, and they can run it how they want. I guess things have changed in the last year haven't they.
Also, what is your infatuation with the use of the ellipsis? Or is your keyboard broken?
You obviously missed out on the whole point of my posting, but don't worry. It will sink in eventually.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom