Rise of the Asshat clause (1 Viewer)

TheDuke

Full House
Reaction score
This is becoming more and more common in ads. It started with @Windwalker and now many people are copying him. Why? It was even thrown back in his face.

In most cases, this is a relatively anonymous message board. Just because you have a disagreement with a stranger you won't sell them some toy poker chips? How childish is that? How can you be so terribly wronged by a total stranger by mere words?

Is it going to evolve to, I won't sell to anyone who's French or Canadian or French-Canadian? I won't sell to a liberal or conservative (I don't agree with your political views posted in the politics forum). Or I won't sell to Asians or Black people.

Where does it end?

ESmeMylXQAcvcw3.jpg

My 'asshat clause' is that you get blocked.

Also, I didn't share my toys as a child with kids I didn't like, I'm not starting now.

To be honest, I don't block people either. Yes, some people seemingly post complete nonsense 99.99% of the time. It's that 0.01% chance they may post something relevant that keeps me from blocking anyone.

I might be too optimistic. I chase draws alot and should fold more often.

To me, chips are little pieces of art and all of them are my children. Naturally, when I sell I want them to go to loving homes. That said, I haven’t refused anyone and probably wouldn’t. I have exactly 1 person on my ignore list.

This is becoming more and more common in ads. It started with @Windwalker and now many people are copying him. Why? It was even thrown back in his face.

In most cases, this is a relatively anonymous message board. Just because you have a disagreement with a stranger you won't sell them some toy poker chips? How childish is that? How can you be so terribly wronged by a total stranger by mere words?

Is it going to evolve to, I won't sell to anyone who's French or Canadian or French-Canadian? I won't sell to a liberal or conservative (I don't agree with your political views posted in the politics forum). Or I won't sell to Asians or Black people.

Where does it end?
All the cool kids are “canceling someone” nowadays. It’s a fad, be sure and jump on it or you’ll be with the uncool kids. Publish your list too, so you can be the coolest kid around.
Here’s my favorite- start a cool kids club list, and circulate it to every new member that joins, outlining who should be “ignored” immediately. This is happening right now.

Where does it end?
I totally agree. Sometimes its enough to just disagree to land on someones ass list, being an asshat or whatever takes a lot more steps, at least in my book. Now i did read it went lot further, chips get bought out because he didnt receive the fracs he wanted etc... But i guess each their own, if you are the kid with all the toys, seems it is important (power in a chipforum lol) to have the power to decide who gets to play with them...

Asshat clause = Do not sell/Do not buy list

It’s been around for a while; I guess it’s just easier to type asshat clause.

Are you just trying to stir it up here? People are free to choose who they do business with - it’s that simple.
FWIW, I’ve had disagreements with windwalker in the past, and it didn’t stop us from doing business this week. Personally, I don’t care how I feel about anybody; as long as I don’t have reason to distrust them, I’ll do business with them.

I remember the times when people would just respond and tell someone that they are not selling to them. It is really not necessary to put the "Clause" in the sales ad. I lol every time I see this placed in an ad.

Not even sure why this kind of thread would even be started. Sometimes I think people just love drama.

In my life I have learned that adults have disagreements. I have them with family and friends but I still love them and would not cancel them!

Are you just trying to stir it up here? People are free to choose who they do business with - it’s that simple.
FWIW, I’ve had disagreements with windwalker in the past, and it didn’t stop us from doing business this week. Personally, I don’t care how I feel about anybody; as long as I don’t have reason to distrust them, I’ll do business with them.
I don’t understand how you can sleep after reading all the mean things that get said in this site. I saw someone disagree with another member once and it was horrible, One guy said something, and the other guy said something, and it was just a terrible terrible sight to see an exchange of words. I wanted to call my mother and share this traumatic experience, I just wish terribly that I could punish people by withholding my viewing of their harmful words. I mean one guy actually said “I don’t agree with you”!! I trembled when I typed those words, they contain so much hate and venom.
I’m sorry if I offended anyone with this post- dammit that should be a sticky on every post everyone makes.

Definitely agree. People can choose to deal with whomever they want.

Question is, when/why did people become so petty?

I think alot of asshat clauses comes out of the politics forum.

Definitely agree. People can choose to deal with whomever they want.

Question is, when/why did people become so petty?

I think alot of asshat clauses comes out of the politics forum.
It’s a fad for the “popular” kids. I’m serious here - they compare lists to see who has the best one.
How do you explain beanie babies or Pokémon? There’s a “herd group” that just have to be in on the greater latest craze - like duck avatars for instance. These are the same people that will now ignore me because I’ve offended “the ducks”. It’s a harmless fad, but not fads are like that, some are disruptive, and they are designed to be disruptive, like the “welcome letter” that gets circulated.

To be honest, I don't block people either. Yes, some people seemingly post complete nonsense 99.99% of the time. It's that 0.01% chance they may post something relevant that keeps me from blocking anyone.

I might be too optimistic. I chase draws alot and should fold more often.
I’m impressed by the amount of free time you must have. Wading through 999 garbage items to find that 1 gem. Do you own a diamond mine?

I’m impressed by the amount of free time you must have. Wading through 999 garbage items to find that 1 gem. Do you own a diamond mine?
Lol - I'm not necessary reading all their posts. I guess it's the FOMO on that one gem. If I block them, I have 0% chance. I like having even the slimmest odds.

It's kind of like how I watch most news channels. Like CNN and Fox. Worthwhile seeing the nuttiness on both sides. I can't stand Don Lemon, Tucker Carlson, or Laura Ingram but I want to hear what they say.

Where does it end?
I will only sell to Don Cherry Canadians. Not to Ray Bourque either. ( dirty player. Did interviews in French for the Montreal stations... jeeze louise)

Just because you have a disagreement with a stranger you won't sell them some toy poker chips? How childish is that? How can you be so terribly wronged by a total stranger by mere words?
let me put it this way: I have two people on ignore and two others on my personal “asshat” list. First group I wouldn’t sell them chips because of trust or personal affronts, second group I would prefer not to deal with at all online. Both groups, though, I would happily play at a meetup with them/let them play at my home game.

Online discourse breeds resentment and animosity, live poker breeds friendship and camaraderie.
Naturally, when I sell I want them to go to loving homes. That said, I haven’t refused anyone and probably wo
If one of the asshats dibsed my chips, I’d be open to selling to them but I’d want an apology first. I’m a man of principle, and the asshats on my list are only there because they’ve been scumbags to me personally.
Here’s my favorite- start a cool kids club list, and circulate it to every new member that joins, outlining who should be “ignored” immediately. This is happening right now.
This is fucking gross, it’s like the Twitter block lists that go around the various political sides of twitter

I have to chime in.

1. Asshat Clause - I thought it was funny when I first read it posted in an ad.
2. Who cares? Life is too short. Get over it.
Answer to 2.
I dont think the op is loosing any sleep over it and i guess he doesnt have to get over it as iam assuming it is not influencing his life. But common, it is a forum, shouldnt there be a place for discussions like this? And also because it is also community.. I mean ofc i prefer discussion about chips, breakdowns, rhc vs thc etc, but discussions like this should also have place, and not to stir shit up but to exchange oppinions on a matter...

let me put it this way: I have two people on ignore and two others on my personal “asshat” list. First group I wouldn’t sell them chips because of trust or personal affronts, second group I would prefer not to deal with at all online. Both groups, though, I would happily play at a meetup with them/let them play at my home game.

Online discourse breeds resentment and animosity, live poker breeds friendship and camaraderie.

If one of the asshats dibsed my chips, I’d be open to selling to them but I’d want an apology first. I’m a man of principle, and the asshats on my list are only there because they’ve been scumbags to me personally.

This is fucking gross, it’s like the Twitter block lists that go around the various political sides of twitter
This youngster gets it. Maybe there is hope for the future. :)

Answer to 2.
I dont think the op is loosing any sleep over it and i guess he doesnt have to get over it as iam assuming it is not influencing his life. But common, it is a forum, shouldnt there be a place for discussions like this? And also because it is also community.. I mean ofc i prefer discussion about chips, breakdowns, rhc vs thc etc, but discussions like this should also have place, and not to stir shit up but to exchange oppinions on a matter...

Adults have discussions
Children have tantrums and pout, closing off any further communication
All depends on if your playing at the adult table or the kiddie table.

Haha, no doubt. Nothing better than dragging pots from annoying people! I especially love winning pots from the yappy people. It shuts them up for a few moments.

I don't mind the clause, and I enjoyed deciphering the code. Asshat is an anagram for "a stash." Posters are saying if you already have a stash of these chips, don't bother posting because I want them to go to somebody new. It's a very thoughtful clause, actually. ;)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom