Poker Chip Shipping Tips and Tricks (2 Viewers)

So perhaps I should plan for 1 LFRB and 1 MFRB.

Do you all recommend any additional packaging on the chips themselves? Wrapped in saran wrap or put in a Ziploc and then stacked into the box for example?

I usually just put plenty of padding on the bottom of the box, stack the boxes, add plenty of padding on the sides and top, and tape up the box. Before going overboard with the tape I give it a nice shake. If there's any movement I add more padding.

The most I'll do to the individual chips in the white boxes is add a small piece of cardboard (an old MFRB cut into squares) folded in half to each stack to make each stack nice and snug. Might seem like overkill but it took me like 5 minutes to make hundreds of them. They're in a ziploc bag and ready to go - plus it gives me just a little extra peace of mind.

Med = 6 (3 rows of 2)
Large = 9 (3 rows of 3)
You can ship two white chip boxes (200 chips) in a modified/sleeved SFRB (two boxes, sleeved to create a single oversized double-wall box), wrapped in a Priority padded envelope and placed into another one for mailing for the price of a single SFRB.... and it's safer, since there is a lot more than just one layer of cardboard between the chips and the environment..

I can get 7 boxes in a double-wall MFRB, with plenty of room for padding. Just takes a weird orientation. I rarely use LFRB, unless it's one of the bomb-proof versions I got in a shipment from Tommy. :)

I forgot about this USPS box. It like an oversize small flat rate box. Fits perfect in a padded flat rate envelope.

20171219_162340.jpg
20171219_162359.jpg
20171219_162404.jpg

Not sure if it's been mentioned before but I scanned through the 9 pages of this thread and didn't see anything regarding this.

"PLEASE DON'T USE KNIFE TO OPEN"

I recommend writing this all over the package and especially on rolls.
It might not stop them all from using a blade but hopefully it will help.

I received my first set of Paulsons today and the package has been opened by Australian customs for inspection. After peeling away some of the bubble wrap, this is what I found. Very disappointed to say the least.

IMG_20171228_014933[1].jpg IMG_20171228_014955[1].jpg IMG_20171228_014958[1].jpg IMG_20171228_015000[1].jpg IMG_20171228_015002[1].jpg IMG_20171228_022115[1].jpg

• Angry
Reactions: DRG
Not sure if it's been mentioned before but I scanned through the 9 pages of this thread and didn't see anything regarding this.

"PLEASE DON'T USE KNIFE TO OPEN"

I recommend writing this all over the package and especially on rolls.
It might not stop them all from using a blade but hopefully it will help.

I received my first set of Paulsons today and the package has been opened by Australian customs for inspection. After peeling away some of the bubble wrap, this is what I found. Very disappointed to say the least.

View attachment 143398 View attachment 143399 View attachment 143400 View attachment 143404 View attachment 143405 View attachment 143406

(n) :thumbsdown:(n) :thumbsdown:(n) :thumbsdown: Idiots. (customs not the shipper) I feel your pain. I only wrap chips like that in clear shrink wrap. Easy to see what's inside. They sell 5" wrap which is perfect for barrels and a little more.

IMG_20171227_235009.jpg

Yikes! I usually tape up rolls of chips pretty well. I'll take note to make sure they're visible for anyone overseas for sure!

Another way to double up Medium & Large flat rate boxes. Box blowouts happen because they get crushed when USPS stacks other boxes on top of them. If your box is on the bottom, a flimsy single wall flat rate box just doesn't hold up. No matter how much tape you put on the sides, it still gets crushed.

Cut the top of one box. (save scraps)
View attachment 133716

Put the cut box inside of another. (ease over the corner a bit so you don't split the outer box)
View attachment 133715

Pack your chippies and use the scraps on top to add support.
View attachment 133712

Close it up!
View attachment 133713

Tape it up!
View attachment 133714

Couple more pics to show how quick and easy it is to add an extra layer of protection to Med and Large flat rate boxes.
Cut the box when its flat (unassembled)

20180123_090108.jpg

Put the cut box inside of another. (ease over the corners a bit so you don't split the outer box)
20180123_090122.jpg

20180123_090136.jpg

It can help avoid this too...
2018-01-19.jpg

Who shipped that, and where did they find the forstner bit to drill that? I've has a project back-burnered for 4-5 years now (and have spent hundreds in forstner bits) but can't find one the right size!

Done by hand with a stone and megalodon tooth.

It looks like I will be sending about 1300 chips overseas (Norway). I plan to pack them in Warnake "Paulson style" boxes from the GB. Does anyone have any particular advice for shipping overseas in regards to getting the best deal, insurance, which carrier, customs, how to pack the chips so they don't get damaged from shipping or a customs check...etc?

I have a bunch of Priority Mail boxes...can those be used or will I need to get other boxes? TIA.

It looks like I will be sending about 1300 chips overseas (Norway). I plan to pack them in Warnake "Paulson style" boxes from the GB. Does anyone have any particular advice for shipping overseas in regards to getting the best deal, insurance, which carrier, customs, how to pack the chips so they don't get damaged from shipping or a customs check...etc?

I have a bunch of Priority Mail boxes...can those be used or will I need to get other boxes? TIA.

You can get 1300 chips in two MED flat rate boxes (650 each) and be under the weight limit for international use. Be sure to double them. The last 50 chips will be tricky but it can be done with enough packing to protect them.

This has been the easiet way to double the boxes.

https://www.pokerchipforum.com/threads/poker-chip-shipping-tips-and-tricks.7614/page-9#post-492031

Be sure to ease over the corners of the inner box before you double it else you could split the outer box. A rubber mallet or hammer works well.

I've had trouble pounding the inner box corners and getting a good fit.

What I've done as an alternative is to cut the inner box into two halves -- two sides of the box to each half -- and trim 1/4" of both ends of each half. These fit snugly into the outer box, and seem just as strong as long as there's plenty of packing.

Last edited:
You can get 1300 chips in two MED flat rate boxes (650 each) and be under the weight limit for international use. Be sure to double them. The last 50 chips will be tricky but it can be done with enough packing to protect them.

Awesome, I will double them for sure. Would you suggest wrapping the individual barrels with clear shrink wrap, or do you think the boxes will offer enough protection?

I've had trouble pounding the inner box corners and getting a good fit.

What I've done as an alternative is to cut the inner box into two halves -- two sides of the box to each half -- and trim 1/4? of both ends of each half. These fit snugle into the outer box, and seem just as strong as long as there's plenty of packing.

If you can swing a hammer, you can do it. :) That's what I use.

2018-02-01_0-18-15.png

Also, when you put together the outside box, don't make the flap seams touch. Leave a very tiny space will make pushing in the inside box easier.

Awesome, I will double them for sure. Would you suggest wrapping the individual barrels with clear shrink wrap, or do you think the boxes will offer enough protection?

Clear shrink wrap is fine then use some bubble wrap. Just cut what you need from a padded flat rate envelope. :)

Clear shrink wrap is fine then use some bubble wrap. Just cut what you need from a padded flat rate envelope. :)

Bubble wrap between and around the boxes? The chips are pretty snug in the boxes already, I don't think I could fit much more inside besides a layer of clear shrink.

Bubble wrap between and around the boxes? The chips are pretty snug in the boxes already, I don't think I could fit much more inside besides a layer of clear shrink.

Tape or shrink wrap the chip boxes. I prefer shrink wrap so you don't mess up the box. Add a small flat rate box inside for the 50 chips. Shrink wrap those in 5s or 10s.
Then two boxes on top.

20180201_004100.jpg
20180201_004110.jpg

Add packing peanuts, bubble wrap, etc. You can put a padded flat rate envelope on the bottom of the box first too.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom