Poker Chip Shipping Tips and Tricks (2 Viewers)

I've seen this happen way too often when minimal tape is used or none at all.

View attachment 106222

I've received two medium flat rate boxes with holes in punctured in the side of them. Thank god the chips were securely packed inside.
IMO, every square inch of the of the box should be covered with tape when shipping chips, especially SFRB.

The only way I will do it.

What's the cheapest but also safest way to ship an individual chip?

I'm trying to avoid paying $2.67 to put a single $1 chip in a bubble mailer.

Don't be a cheap ass, Brett. :p

I vote $2.67 bubble mailer.

Guilty as charged, but us cheap asses prefer the term "frugal" ;)

This isn't a chip I've sold or accepted money for, I'd never put that in harm's way. I just happened upon a cheap and relatively low-value chip that someone is collecting and I wanted to get it to them without breaking the bank.

You can try and sandwich a single chip between two pieces of cardboard and use a standard envelope, but make sure nothing is moving (cardboard is cut to exact size of envelope) and tape over all four edges of the envelope.

Probably save a few cents on postage (it will require postage based on weight), offset by extra materials and extra labor.

I still wouldn't mail a clay chip that way; only a hard ceramic or plastic chip that wouldn't break in a mail handling machine or when somebody steps on it or slams it in a car door.

Yup same here. Other methods have been tried using a regular envelope and lets just say there was some really unpleasant carnage.
IMG_9039.JPG

You can try and sandwich a single chip between two pieces of cardboard and use a standard envelope, but make sure nothing is moving (cardboard is cut to exact size of envelope) and tape over all four edges of the envelope.
I've received single chips or even multiple chips (maybe up to 2 or 3) this way in the mail with standard envelopes via purchases from a few well rated eBay sellers with no problems. However, those sellers have also paid a Non-machinable Surcharge which is added to first class postage, which is so the USPS doesn't run the envelope through their letter sorting machines, which could damage the chips or tear the envelope. IIRC, the seller wrote "NON MACHINABLE" in red print on the front of the letter at the top or left. (If taking letters to the post office desk, maybe the post office clerk stamps this on the envelope themselves. I'm not sure.)

Through Google search I found:
Regular first class stamp 49 cents. (first ounce, additional weight is more)
Each additional ounce 21 cents
Non-machinable surcharge 21 cents

Forgot to quote/tag you. See my post above.

FYI, most single chips I've received this way were in a mini-plastic bag or cardboard chip holder, and then taped to the cardboard with scotch tape.

3 barrels per PFRE method.

View attachment 23571

1 row of 60 chip
View attachment 23568

Make tight around the chips. (this straightens all chips and keeps them from moving)
View attachment 23570

Roll it tight, pull off adhesive strip backing, finish rolling. (if you feel you didn't roll it tight enough, then add tape)
View attachment 23572

Put rolls in box, add packing peanuts (or other suitable packing material)
I normally put a piece of cardboard on the bottom of the box and on top before closing the flaps. It helps the box from being crushed when stacked with other packages. Then I tape all 6 sides of the box with pretty much no cardboard exposed.

View attachment 23569

Ship it!

This is my preferred method with any more than a rack of chips. 100 or less, different approach with a SFRB. But more than a rack gets the padded envelope treatment. And the supplies are on the post office!

Guilty as charged, but us cheap asses prefer the term "frugal" ;)

This isn't a chip I've sold or accepted money for, I'd never put that in harm's way. I just happened upon a cheap and relatively low-value chip that someone is collecting and I wanted to get it to them without breaking the bank.

I'm also frugal. Order samples from someone else and then reship your chip in the used envelope, using a large label to hide the old address.

Many Zombie samples were shipped using this very method.

If you buy chips from sellers on LetGo/OfferUp/Craigslist, usually they have the chip cases to ship with. You want to tell them to take the chips out and put in a flat rate box, but they aren't familiar with packing chips. However, if they leave them in the case (preferred for safety), they end up spending $40-$50 to ship. The best solution is a Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Board Game Box

The box is long enough to fit a 500pc case of chips and costs the same as a LFRB ($18.85 domestically). Granted, you may never need to use this option, but if you ever need to ship a case of chips, it is a good one.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=P_GB_FRB

Game Box.png

I've received single chips or even multiple chips (maybe up to 2 or 3) this way in the mail with standard envelopes via purchases from a few well rated eBay sellers with no problems. However, those sellers have also paid a Non-machinable Surcharge which is added to first class postage, which is so the USPS doesn't run the envelope through their letter sorting machines, which could damage the chips or tear the envelope. IIRC, the seller wrote "NON MACHINABLE" in red print on the front of the letter at the top or left. (If taking letters to the post office desk, maybe the post office clerk stamps this on the envelope themselves. I'm not sure.)

Through Google search I found:
Regular first class stamp 49 cents. (first ounce, additional weight is more)
Each additional ounce 21 cents
Non-machinable surcharge 21 cents
I've shipped one or two chips sandwiched between small pieces of cardboard in a standard business envelope with no further precautions a few times, with no problems.
I've only done it with chips that were very easily replaceable, because I'm neither stupid nor insane.
So it can work, as long as you're happy to assume all the risk.

If you buy chips from sellers on LetGo/OfferUp/Craigslist, usually they have the chip cases to ship with. You want to tell them to take the chips out and put in a flat rate box, but they aren't familiar with packing chips. However, if they leave them in the case (preferred for safety), they end up spending $40-$50 to ship. The best solution is a Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Board Game Box

The box is long enough to fit a 500pc case of chips and costs the same as a LFRB ($18.85 domestically). Granted, you may never need to use this option, but if you ever need to ship a case of chips, it is a good one.

https://store.usps.com/store/browse/productDetailSingleSku.jsp?productId=P_GB_FRB

View attachment 109420
I have used those before. I have also found that the fedex flat ratebox that fits a 500 chip case is about the same price and is a pretty sturdy box

Just a follow up to this.

I have relatively small bubble mailers (4"x8") and was able to sandwich the chip between two pieces of cardboard and send it in one of these for $0.98 first class. The thickness fell within the acceptable limit for a non-machinable large envelope while still being under the weight limit before jumping up to the $2.67 threshold.

I am quite happy with this result as a frugal (see:cheap) person :)

Probably save a few cents on postage (it will require postage based on weight), offset by extra materials and extra labor.

I still wouldn't mail a clay chip that way; only a hard ceramic or plastic chip that wouldn't break in a mail handling machine or when somebody steps on it or slams it in a car door.

If the chip has any value, use a bubble mailer. However, spending $3 to send a 25c chip is a little silly. In those cases, I've never had a problem putting 1 to 2 chips into a coffee sleeve, stapling them so the don't move, and dropping them in a standard envelope. There is a surchage for the rigidity, but its cheaper than a bubble mailer. You can even put 2 chips in one sleeve, and staple a third chip in a second sleeve, thus sending 3 chips in a standard, first class envelope.

20170718_123357.jpg

Last edited:
Small flat rate box inside of a flat rate envelope. OK for shipping some chips if you wrap them in stacks of 5 or 6 and other items like cards, buttons, etc.

20170726_110221.jpg

I'm constantly amazed by stuff like this. Shipping supplies are not included in the cost of shipping up here, and envelopes and boxes are $5-$10 each if purchased through the post office.

International First Class. Any automatic indemnification/insurance? Having trouble finding out. And if you print a label online at usps, there is no option to buy insurance. So I am curious.

I often us a local Postal Annex store here in So Cal, they usually have good recommendations on what to use and how to do it based on my needs (level of care, speed, cost, insurance, tracking, etc) although they are usually more expensive as they are a middle man and take a piece of the pie

Another way to double up Medium & Large flat rate boxes. Box blowouts happen because they get crushed when USPS stacks other boxes on top of them. If your box is on the bottom, a flimsy single wall flat rate box just doesn't hold up. No matter how much tape you put on the sides, it still gets crushed.

Cut the top of one box while its still flat. (save scraps)
IMG_20171103_091948.jpg

Put the cut box inside of another. (ease over the corners to avoid splitting the outside box) I use a hammer. LOL
IMG_20171103_091846.jpg

Pack your chippies and use the scraps on top to add support.
IMG_20171103_092543.jpg

Close it up!
IMG_20171103_092602.jpg

Tape it up!
IMG_20171103_092704.jpg

Small flat rate box inside of a flat rate envelope. OK for shipping some chips if you wrap them in stacks of 5 or 6 and other items like cards, buttons, etc.

View attachment 111079

Flat rate box inside padded flat rate envelope is even better.

They're free... and the flat rate envelope rate is only $0.05 more than shipping SFRB.

I shipped a package to @azool last week. He resides in France. I used DHL shipping for the first time. It was crazy fast. In my small sample size of using them exactly once I can give high recommendations.

Of course its more than twice of the USPS flat rate options, but it got there safe and sound :)

Flat rate box inside padded flat rate envelope is even better.

They're free... and the flat rate envelope rate is only $0.05 more than shipping SFRB.
I have cases of them in the garage. ;) The flat rate box inside the flat rate non-padded envelope works well for the items I mentioned and it saves like 55 or 60 cents. Not a lot but works well for those items and qty.

The doubled small flat rate is a nice trick too...
Doubled small flat rate box. )

View attachment 64897

When getting to 50% + capacity of a SFRB, I always put them in a padded flat rate envelope. Usually 2 and sometimes 3.
With that many chips in a SFRB, I would recommend putting the SFRB box inside of at least 1 padded flat rate envelope for 5 cents more. Depending on the weight, I sometimes will use up to 3 padded flat rate envelopes. There is only about 1/16" of cardboard between the chips and outside of the box.

When getting to 50% + capacity of a SFRB, I always put them in a padded flat rate envelope.
You can also stuff two full 100-ct white chip boxes into a SFRB and slide another one down over the top, wrap in a padded envelope or two, and put the entire pkg into another padded envelope.... for the price of a single SFRB -- safer and cheaper.

How many white 100ct chip boxes (the ones from the recent GB for example) will fit nicely in an MFRB? LFRB? Want to also have a bit of room for padding.

I would imagine an LFRB would get pretty heavy, so I'm thinking better to ship multiple MFRB boxes.

@justsomedude perhaps you know?

Went through a couple pages of this thread but didn't see any of those white boxes being used yet. I'm planning to ship ~1300 chips.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom