Poker Chip Shipping Tips and Tricks (5 Viewers)

I have 220 chips in one shipment. Can I fit them in a box inside a padded flat rate envelope? Maybe with the expanded SFRB or another box that I can find that will fit inside?
Expanded SFRB in multiple PFREs, or two white chip boxes (per @jja412 post above), or four rolls of 55 chips each wrapped individually in PFREs and then placed inside multiple PFREs (sandwiched between cardboard is even better).

You'll probably hit a weight limit before you hit a volume limit.
No weight limits on domestic Priority Flat Rate Boxes of any size (well, 70 lbs., not that you'd exceed that with just chips). 4 lbs max for SFRB international shipments, 20 lbs max for the larger Priority boxes.

Haven’t seen bubble mailers at either of the two local post offices for month. Anyone else have trouble finding them in the wild?

The US post office never ceases to amaze me. I try to mail 4 decks of cards in a small box and they want $10.80 ! What? I said no. All I have to do is put that same box in a FRPE and it’s automatically $8. I even think $8 is over priced. Surely I can get it down to first class.

I have also found that they will charge you more for thick envelopes at the counter than at the touchscreen shipping machine... it’s can be cheaper for the same envelope just by bypassing humans.

It’s a mind boggling senseless game.

The US post office never ceases to amaze me. I try to mail 4 decks of cards in a small box and they want $10.80 ! What? I said no. All I have to do is put that same box in a FRPE and it’s automatically $8. I even think $8 is over priced. Surely I can get it down to first class.

I have also found that they will charge you more for thick envelopes at the counter than at the touchscreen shipping machine... it’s can be cheaper for the same envelope just by bypassing humans.

It’s a mind boggling senseless game.
You can always ship FedEx. Then you'll appreciate $10 shipping.

I just want to let everyone know that you can squeeze more out of the double Flat Rate Box inside a Flat Rate Padded Envelope trick. It did take a bit longer to pack but it worked and saved a lot of shipping money for me. I "pushed the envelope" so to speak.

I cut some old padded envelopes up into sections enough to wrap fully around 36 poker chips (almost 2 barrels) with about an 1"-2" of padding on the top and bottom. I taped up the top and the bottom "flap" and placed 5 jumbo rolled barrels side by side inside a flat rate box. I repeated this for yet another flat rate box and then stuffed both inside a FLPE, then inside a Priority fiber paper envelope and then stuffed all of that inside a FRPE. That allows for up to 360 chips or even more I think! All of this shipped for only $8 and all three shipments were successful with shipping compliments from each recipient.

You could probably squeeze one more in at the end of each super barrel and maybe some on the sides especially with BGinGA's "pack more at the end of the box" method.. Maybe 400 chips?

IMG_9833.JPG

IMG_9835.JPG

I just want to let everyone know that you can squeeze more out of the double Flat Rate Box inside a Flat Rate Padded Envelope trick. It did take a bit longer to pack but it worked and saved a lot of shipping money for me. I "pushed the envelope" so to speak.

I cut some old padded envelopes up into sections enough to wrap fully around 36 poker chips (almost 2 barrels) with about an 1"-2" of padding on the top and bottom. I taped up the top and the bottom "flap" and placed 5 jumbo rolled barrels side by side inside a flat rate box. I repeated this for yet another flat rate box and then stuffed both inside a FLPE, then inside a Priority fiber paper envelope and then stuffed all of that inside a FRPE. That allows for up to 360 chips or even more I think! All of this shipped for only $8 and all three shipments were successful with shipping compliments from each recipient.

You could probably squeeze one more in at the end of each super barrel and maybe some on the sides especially with BGinGA's "pack more at the end of the box" method.. Maybe 400 chips?

View attachment 271070

View attachment 271071
thing of beauty ! not sure I'd be willing to save the buyers $4-5 for the extra time it'd take me though. thanks for the info either way.

Great thread, although I’ll admit a little overwhelming for someone new to the chip shipping game. I’m selling 400 Majestic chips...would this be the medium flat rate box? And I’ve seen comments about free supplies from the post office, what does that consist of?

Great thread, although I’ll admit a little overwhelming for someone new to the chip shipping game. I’m selling 400 Majestic chips...would this be the medium flat rate box? And I’ve seen comments about free supplies from the post office, what does that consist of?
Yes MFRB and you can use PFRE as padding. Both can be ordered and delivered to you for free see links below. Just make sure everything is packed snuggly and you're good to go.

https://store.usps.com/store/produc...iority-mail-medium-flat-rate-box---1-P_O_FRB1
https://store.usps.com/store/product/shipping-supplies/priority-mail-small-flat-rate-box-P_SMALL_FRB
https://store.usps.com/store/produc...ority-mail-padded-flat-rate-envelope-P_EP14PE

Thank you for simplifying it for me! Much appreciated!!!
No problem if there's one thing I like more than getting chips out into the market it's making sure other people's chips arrive safely. General (people can figure out funky ways of fitting more usually) rule of thumb on # of chips per packaging:
1-40: non-flat rate padded envelope
40-200: SFRB or PFRE (I prefer SRFB inside a few PFREs)
200-600: MFRB
600-900: LFRB

Note for both MFRB & LFRB I highly suggest double boxing the package & taping all the edges and corners to prevent crushing and ripping of the box.

Need some advice. I went to USPS with a 4x6 bubble mailer with 6 chips individually wrapped in saran, inside coin sheet sleeve (cut down), taped to cardboard, tacoed to another piece of USPS cardboard, all taped with no wiggle. US postage is ~$4, but when I asked for a quote to France, and it came out to ~$15. It weighed 3.70 ounces.

How do I get this down in price while making sure it is secure?
Did I use too much tape or too thick cardboard? 3.7 ounces doesn't seem that heavy. Is it maybe the depth of the envelope?

Thanks for your advice.

@markleteenie It sounds like they are charging you package rates. Have you used the PayPal shipping method? This has saved me a lot of cash on shipping in the past. I have also used it to ship overseas without issue. The weight that you idicated should keep shipping to around $3 United States, but not sure what the discount will provide overseas. Linking below to the PayPal Link. Also, it should be noted that you can use this same link to print out all of your flat rate packages at a discount too.

https://www.paypal.com/shiplabel/create/#

Also, I have seen where chips are shipped in a regulat envelope with thin cardboard inside that ran the entire length of the envelope. Chips got here safely in an envelope labeled "non-machineable. I wouldnt recommend this for postage going overseas, it is likely the chips will break through the envelope.

Any suggestions for mailing 9 individual chips? I have them wrapped individually in bubble wrap right now. USPS preferred. This is domestic.

@markleteenie It sounds like they are charging you package rates. Have you used the PayPal shipping method? This has saved me a lot of cash on shipping in the past. I have also used it to ship overseas without issue. The weight that you idicated should keep shipping to around $3 United States, but not sure what the discount will provide overseas. Linking below to the PayPal Link. Also, it should be noted that you can use this same link to print out all of your flat rate packages at a discount too.

Interesting, so I am playing around with the site, so for a small bubble mailer, would I select First Class Mail International service -> Large Envelope?

Exactly this. Note you need to already be logged into PayPal before opening the link. For what you’re trying to do @markleteenie select First Class Mail and Large Envelope. I think technically this is a missuse of the postage type since when you enter the custom form screen you can only categorize the package contents as Documents. This also means the package won’t be insured 1) documents can only be insured up to something like $50 and 2) you’re misusing postage so I doubt if you put in a claim they’ll honor it. All that being said, your postage should only cost $4-6 if you mail this way.

Also, I have seen where chips are shipped in a regulat envelope with thin cardboard inside that ran the entire length of the envelope. Chips got here safely in an envelope labeled "non-machineable. I wouldnt recommend this for postage going overseas, it is likely the chips will break through the envelope.
100% be careful/don’t mail this way. I did once with one chip and they threw it in the sorter anyway. The envelope broke open regardless of the cardboard paper reinforcement but luckily USPS repackaged it and sent it along its way to @detroitdad safely. :oops:

Any suggestions for mailing 9 individual chips? I have them wrapped individually in bubble wrap right now. USPS preferred. This is domestic.
For packaging I usually like to attach the chips very snuggly to a piece of cardboard using Saran Wrap then packing tap and finally put another piece of cardboard on top (also secured with packing tape) to create a cardboard sandwich.

For shipping rates, use first class mail for anything under 16oz aka 1 pound.

Last edited:
@markleteenie @ReallyGoodUsername nailed it. You can do it this way and your post office may reject it and ask you to come back and pay the additional shipping before sending off. Or they may charge the receiver. If you choose "First Class Package International" and then choose "Package" and put the weight in, this is the proper method and will quadruple the price most likely. $2.70 for 3 ounce to Canada as a "large envelope" and $9.98 as a "international package", That is fun, huh?!

@ReallyGoodUsername
@Chile85
Under First Class Mail International service --I only see two options, Letter and Large Envelope. Letter allows no "weight" since it is a document and not an object. Letter seems like the hack/misuse mentioned above, but Large Envelope could be a bubble mailer, right?

Under First Class Package International service -- there is only the one option Package. Package does make the price go up quite a bit - ~triple.

From those three options, a small bubble mailer really looks like Large Envelope to me, rather than Package. (USPS even has Flat rate bubble envelopes, so has envelope in the name). Or is that wishful thinking?

I would not recommend this method ever as there's always a possibility this may be processed by a letter machine accidentally. Just have a look at pics of damaged letter envelopes with chips in them in this thread and others.

@ReallyGoodUsername
@Chile85
Under First Class Mail International service --I only see two options, Letter and Large Envelope. Letter allows no "weight" since it is a document and not an object. Letter seems like the hack/misuse mentioned above, but Large Envelope could be a bubble mailer, right?

Under First Class Package International service -- there is only the one option Package. Package does make the price go up quite a bit - ~triple.

From those three options, a small bubble mailer really looks like Large Envelope to me, rather than Package. (USPS even has Flat rate bubble envelopes, so has envelope in the name). Or is that wishful thinking?
First Class Mail —> Large Envelope. As for what’s right? Don’t know don’t care.
D3ECAAC3-6227-4FD8-984A-3117E833C2EF.gif

Need some advice. I went to USPS with a 4x6 bubble mailer with 6 chips individually wrapped in saran, inside coin sheet sleeve (cut down), taped to cardboard, tacoed to another piece of USPS cardboard, all taped with no wiggle. US postage is ~$4, but when I asked for a quote to France, and it came out to ~$15. It weighed 3.70 ounces.

How do I get this down in price while making sure it is secure?
Did I use too much tape or too thick cardboard? 3.7 ounces doesn't seem that heavy. Is it maybe the depth of the envelope?

Thanks for your advice.
If you take the envelope to the post office and it contains anything other than paper they will charge you the package rate. Happened to me recently also. Best option is to print your mailing label on the USPS website or on PayPal shipping. Thickness variance cannot exceed 1/4".

Recently I have had three fabulous postal employees tell me I can’t double box the MFRB or LFRB. One of them called her supervisor who examined the box and said by using double boxes, I am ‘expanding the size of the flat rate box, even by milimeters’ and it no longer qualifies for a flat rate.

And two such fabulous employees told me I use too much tape (I tape the entire box, all around), and by doing so, it’s no longer a flat rate box. I was actually quite speechless when they told me I can’t use ‘too much tape’.

Mail drones can’t get here fast enough.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom