Poker Chip Shipping Tips and Tricks (4 Viewers)

...well, it did always feel like a loophole.

Can still maintain the base box and cut down/fit the second box inside the first. Heavily tape up interior box, and use "proper" tape on outside box.

by using double boxes, I am ‘expanding the size of the flat rate box, even by milimeters’ and it no longer qualifies for a flat rate.
This I can understand if it does increase the overall dimensions.

And two such fabulous employees told me I use too much tape (I tape the entire box, all around), and by doing so, it’s no longer a flat rate box.
Gonna have to call BS on this one as I didn't see anything on their website that states you cannot tape the entire box. I would ask them next time to provide something in writing or a link on the USPS website that states this "rule".

From the USPS website:

Preparing Your Box
Pack your box to protect your contents and to make sure the box arrives intact.

• Use a sturdy box with enough room to add cushioning for fragile items and to prevent items from shifting.
  • Tape your box so that it closes flat on all sides and reinforce the flaps with 2-inch wide packing tape.
  • If you’re reusing a box, make sure all old logos, shipping labels, and addresses are covered or blacked out.

Nowhere does it state you can't tape the entire box... if anything these are minimum guidelines and any ambiguity in rules or guidelines benefit the person that didn't draft the rules/guidelines. What I would suggest is that you should not tape over shipping labels. Tape the entire box and then apply your shipping labels as the reflective surface on tape can interfere with mail processing equipment. If you need tape to apply your shipping label then do not tape over address/barcode info so that mail processing equipment can properly read the information.

The only other reason I can think of as to why taping the entire box is a problem is that it may create a slick surface making it difficult/unsafe for the package to be transported along inclined conveyors.

I mailed a 25 lb. Priority Express International package last week, using a double-boxed Priority Mail LFRB that was taped to the gills on the outside with clear shipping tape.

Postal worker at my local branch (he knows me well :) ) just looked at it and said, "That might cause some confusion."

He then proceeded to tape the ever-living shit out of it with "Priority Express International" logo shipping tape, to the point you couldn't even tell what kind of box it was originally. :tup: There were only a couple of open plain white spots left where there wasn't any PEI tape at all.

Too much tape, my ass. Tell 'em to pound sand and show you the guideline in print that backs up their claim. Same for double-boxing, so long as it meets size/weight/content specifications. Cardboard is not on the prohibited list.

I mailed a 25 lb. Priority Express International package last week, using a double-boxed Priority Mail LFRB that was taped to the gills on the outside with clear shipping tape.

Postal worker at my local branch (he knows me well :) ) just looked at it and said, "That might cause some confusion."

He then proceeded to tape the ever-living shit out of it with "Priority Express International" logo shipping tape, to the point you couldn't even tell what kind of box it was originally. :tup: There were only a couple of open plain white spots left where there wasn't any PEI tape at all.

Too much tape, my ass. Tell 'em to pound sand and show you the guideline in print that backs up their claim. Same for double-boxing, so long as it meets size/weight/content specifications. Cardboard is not on the prohibited list.

SWEEEEET! :wow:

One time I took the MFRB the rectangular one and sandwiched two together so that the tabs lined up with the inside box, so yes it was slightly larger than normal. The PO person looked at it oddly and called someone else over I said it’s a MFRB it says so right there. So shrugs he shoulders and mumbles how it looks odd. But they took it. It was full of disassembled chips boxes.

I think it’s very situational, depends on the clerks at the post office, and I am sure there are workarounds. But it was a bit of a surprise that I’ve been facing this more frequently lately.

Bump for this great thread and wanted to provide the link for USPS Policies specifically 3.0 Providing Evidence of Insurance and Value. Looked it up today since I'll be shipping some expensive chips and noted that if you buy insurance at a USPS location (as opposed to online), there's a few steps I might not have taken without knowing it's required, that could have cost thousands if I needed to file a claim.

giphy.gif

Bump for this great thread and wanted to provide the link for USPS Policies specifically 3.0 Providing Evidence of Insurance and Value. Looked it up today since I'll be shipping some expensive chips and noted that if you buy insurance at a USPS location (as opposed to online), there's a few steps I might not have taken without knowing it's required, that could have cost thousands if I needed to file a claim.

giphy.gif

Any idea of what qualifies as evidence of value? If you transacted on PayPal FF, is that "receipt" sufficient? If we use Jack chips as examples, would they require TheChipRoom receipt to establish value? How about if we use BTP as an example?

I tape the crap out of every box I send, with extra layers on all corners and edges (weak points). There is never a spot where you can feel cardboard that isn't covered by shipping tape. I have never had USPS complain about it to date

Any idea of what qualifies as evidence of value? If you transacted on PayPal FF, is that "receipt" sufficient? If we use Jack chips as examples, would they require TheChipRoom receipt to establish value? How about if we use BTP as an example?
Maybe someone more in the know could chime in but I'd hope that a sales thread/PM discussing the value + PayPal or CC statement would do the trick. Or if it's something that's been sold on eBay before you could use the previous sale to support the value maybe (90% of the time I'm sure it'd be way more than what we price it at)?

I tape the crap out of every box I send, with extra layers on all corners and edges (weak points). There is never a spot where you can feel cardboard that isn't covered by shipping tape. I have never had USPS complain about it to date

I do the same. They don't give a shit. I didn't used to encompass the entire "small flat rate" boxes in tape until I sent @pltrgyst a small flat box that got fucked up. Now they get the same treatment as the medium and large boxes.

Sorry Larry. I still feel bad about that.

I do the same. They don't give a shit. I didn't used to encompass the entire "small flat rate" boxes in tape until I sent @pltrgyst a small flat box that got fucked up. Now they get the same treatment as the medium and large boxes.

For SRFB I pack them in 3 PFRE now. Helps both the crushing and puncturing aspect of it but you can never go wrong with taping a box until it's waterproof!

Hey, Bill, no harm, no foul. We all learn. In recent months I've stopped sending sfrbs any way except in at least two fr padded envelopes, as a number of people here suggested It costs what, about 15 cents more than the sfrb?.

The USPS is amazing value, really, but some of their handling and tracking procedures leave a lot to be desired...

Does anyone put the chip boxes in a plastic grocery bag before they go into the box? This saved me from losing some cpc boxes last weekend when I was away and the box was left on my front steps in 2 days’ worth of heavy rain. Not shipped by cpc, but I’m happy to say no injuries! (First time I opened a mfrb 100% by hand.)

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to ship a barrel of chips without going overboard? Both securing it in the package and what type of envelope/box to use?

Can anyone give me some advice on the best way to ship a barrel of chips without going overboard? Both securing it in the package and what type of envelope/box to use?

You could put it into one of those small hard plastic containers that are meant to hold a stack of silver dollar coins, and then put that in a padded envelope.

I use a zip-lock baggie rolled and taped up, wrapped in bubble wrap (or a bubble envelope), and stuffed with additional padding in a SFRB that is 100% covered with waterproof shipping tape.

No such thing as 'going overboard' when it comes to protecting chips during shipping.

I like these "oversized" SFRB looking Priority Mail boxes. Extra room for 39mm and can fit 43mm in barrels and not be up against the inside of the box.

IMG_20190614_111350.jpg

IMG_20190614_111237.jpg

IMG_20190614_111251.jpg

IMG_20190614_111315.jpg

They fit great in Padded FR Envelopes too.

IMG_20190614_112323.jpg

I don't know if it's a USPS rule or just an annoying PO employee but the other day I went to mail something and used the Priority Mail label to write the address after tearing off the top that says "Priority Mail" since I wasn't sending by priority mail. She got annoyed at me and said these labels are only for priority mail and I should have paid for a label (from the ones they sell). She took label off the package and then asked one of her colleagues for for a sticker from one of their machines and then made me re-write the address. She was friendly but adamant about the use of the priority mail sticker.

I have taken to using the padded envelopes as chip protection inside SFRBs or MFRBs. I would strongly suggest you pack, tape and seal your boxes before going to the PO if you're doing this - I can't imagine the hassle I'd get if she had seen what was inside some of the boxes I ship (e.g. 8 padded priority mail envelopes inside a MFRB).

I don't know if it's a USPS rule or just an annoying PO employee but the other day I went to mail something and used the Priority Mail label to write the address after tearing off the top that says "Priority Mail" since I wasn't sending by priority mail. She got annoyed at me and said these labels are only for priority mail and I should have paid for a label (from the ones they sell). She took label off the package and then asked one of her colleagues for for a sticker from one of their machines and then made me re-write the address. She was friendly but adamant about the use of the priority mail sticker.

Sounds legit. Priority mail address labels shouldn't be on a non-Priority mail package. Could cause confusion on how its sorted. But what goes on inside the box stays inside the box. ;)

I have taken to using the padded envelopes as chip protection inside SFRBs or MFRBs. I would strongly suggest you pack, tape and seal your boxes before going to the PO if you're doing this - I can't imagine the hassle I'd get if she had seen what was inside some of the boxes I ship (e.g. 8 padded priority mail envelopes inside a MFRB).
In the defence of the PO employee...

People bitch incessantly about the PO running out of money. When we use "free" packing materials, PO employees have a right to be defensive. Try getting anything free at FedEx for shipping.

Use it, don't flaunt it.

In the defence of the PO employee...

People bitch incessantly about the PO running out of money. When we use "free" packing materials, PO employees have a right to be defensive. Try getting anything free at FedEx for shipping.

Use it, don't flaunt it.
but... but... she wasted money by using another sticker when there was already a label applied!! :nailbite:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account and join our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Back
Top Bottom